multiplayer online mode

Dragonjay14

• Administrator

At the moment, the actual state of the art of internet communication doesn't make it possible.

Rocksmith dev already stated that they would love to make that happen if it's ever possible but for now, delay would make it absolutely horrible to use.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• 1 month later...

The best tool I've come across for playing online with a friend is https://www.jamkazam.com/

The distributed metronome tech seems interesting, but you still need to be relatively close to each other geographically and with EXCELLENT internet connections to get close to being useable.

As firekorn said, the RS team have been looking into this for a while. Dan at one point even mentioned having tested the JamKazaam JamBlaster (their own ultra low latency, networked audio interface) - but the conclusion was anything that any connection less than the best currently available, simply wasn't good enough. Until the internet itself is capable of  freakishly low latency levels, the user experience simply won't be good enough.

And sorry to say this, but given where you live, South Australia and trying to play with someone in Queensland? You're never going to get the tech needed. LOL idiotic FTTN NBN!

I have a fiber to my desk install, (Bogota Colombia) and I tried a JamKazaam hookup with a friend that works in a Telstra datacenter in Melbourne (100% fiber to his racks) - we got lower latency figures between us (14,600+ km) than he gets using his home connection in Melbourne (FTTN) connecting to his work network (under 4 km).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I would be happy if we could just get a good recording saved perhaps as a WAV of the output from the instruments alone.  Stick a loud noise at the very first space on the note track, so that multiple files can be tracked together easily (ie like a video production clapper), and play seperately, but get the output together when you're done.  Yeah it'd be work, and not quite playing multiplayer, but at least it would make it quite easy for me and my friends long distance to collaborate. :-D

• 1 month later...

Sorry, spotted an interesting post.. Not sure if the thread is active though.

Local network version could be an interesting idea, sure the internet with it's latency issues causes problems, but being <20ft away from each other on a gigabit network almost eliminates that...

The thought would be to have a system which allows multiplayer within the same room/building (Imagine the LAN parties).. Song start/note timing could be pretty accurate as it'd be as easy as syncing clocks between 2 or more computers, or to have a master/slave system going on whereby only one machine would have to play the music and the slave machines sync up, allowing players to participate by feeding results/note hit markers forward to the master (and echoing the real tone cable through the slave machine's speakers as normal)...

But the thought of a group of players with various guitar types belting at the same song sounds fun ;)

Just an idea, doubt it'll get anywhere though..

(Btw my first post, please shoot me..)

• Like 1