Adding purchased content to the game?

birdseed007

Question

Hi guys,

I have purchased Rocksmith original and 2014 for PS3.  I also have a PC copy of the game that allows me to use cdlc for PC when I'm travelling with a laptop.  I'm very keen to buy the Spinal Tap songpack as well as some others but can I add them to the PC game even if I don't have a stream account as they all seem to be stream downloads?

Grateful if anyone can help.

7 answers to this question

I believe it has to do with whether or not you bought the game through steam or not.  I have a steam account but I didn't buy the game through steam, so if I try to buy content on steam (even though I have a legit PC version I paid for) it gives me an error message that I don't have a Steam version of the game.   Haven't cared enough to figure out if there is a fix for it, their loss of funds.  

• Administrator

Rocksmith 2014 is a steamworks game which means that whatever version you buy (Disc, Key, etc..), the game will be activated on steam, if it's not it's a pirated version.

From there if yours is not on steam, we won't be able to help as it is against the rule.

The thing @@madzillagd is referring to is only for the RS1 DLC that can only be bought if you own RS1 (it's also a steamworks game) except for some of them. This is a steam restriction which forbid people to buy DLC for game they don't own.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the help.  I have purchased the Spinal Tap content for my fully legal PS3 version.  If you were going to purchase a PC copy of the game too am I better going with the download steam version or a boxed retail version?  In short does it matter in terms of the range of official downloadable tracks?  Also does it have any impact on unofficial dlcI might want to add?  I will buy the game for PC too - I just need to know which version would be best to buy.

Thanks again,

Birdseed

Retail is most likely going to be a bit cheaper than the Steam version, but otherwise there is no difference as you'll need to register that one via Steam anyway. But you won't get access to the already purchased PS3 DLC, which is a bit stupid considering that you could use your UPlay account to verify that.

I'm very grateful for the help.  I think I'm starting to understand Steam better now then - it's sort of the PC equivalent of the playstation store/uplay.

So looking at my options I can buy a boxed version for about £40 with a realtone cable from Amazon or a Steam download version for about £24.  Sounds like the latter would be my best bet as I already own 3x realtone cables (2 from the PS3 boxed versions of original rocksmith and 2014 I bought and another cable I purchased separately as a spare for travelling with my PC).

Just one final thing should I uninstall my cracked PC copy of the game before installing my legit version i.e. will they conflict with each other or is it OK to have both installed on the same machine?  It's just that I'm aware that I need to modify my legit copy to accept cdlc when I get it and I'm a bit reluctant to uninstall my nice working cracked version and all it's lovely cdlc until I know that modification is successful.

Yes it's annoying that I've bought quite a lot of content for the PS3 version already including quite a lot of songpacks as well as the key to port over my old original Rocksmith stuff so having to buy them all again seems a terrible waste of money but I think going forward I am playing more on the PC than I do on the PS3 and so I just feel it makes more sense to commit to one platform for the future and buy all my content and play on that rather than sort of running two systems in parallel.  I drifted away from the PS3 because of the availability of cdlc on PC and the fact that I end up in hotels a lot in my job with just the PC for company.  As a result my PS3 and all its song-packs isn't getting used so much.

Grateful for any thoughts/input/advice,  I guess with hindsight I should have bought the PC versions rather than the PS3 ones but I guess I've had a lot off fun with them anyhow.

Birdseed

I would uninstall it for sure, most cracked software (From what I have read) puts in a "fake" steam profile to bypass steam. It would be better to start with a fresh clean legit copy, then patch it for cdlc.