(some) Help wanted(?!)

ikwtif

Question

Not sure if this is the proper forum section to ask this.

I'm trying to sync a song but I spend at least a few hours retrying to sync it now and somehow I always get the feeling it's a bit off so I go trough it everytime and at this point it feels like I'm zoning out and focus either too much on the wave graph or the song so I never get it truly in sync.

I would appreciate it if anyone would be willing to have a look at it or help me and make a proper beatmap (might be easier than just trying to correcting my mistakes :D)  because it's driving me crazy and it feels like I am just wasting countless hours at this point.

I'm uploading the whole folder with files so I don't miss any files if someone is willing to help me with the beatmap.

As far as I could figure out, the first part until the verse is around 110bpm, then it steps up to 114bpm, maybe even going back down to 110bpm at some parts

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fjxfat09b4wwvl5/AAAYclR6XlBXVzKvaUVgOVRta?dl=0

Any help is appreciated, even if it's just letting me know that I'm doing something wrong  ^_^

13 answers to this question

It looks pretty good, but not perfect, to me. There's a tendency in some places for the notes in the chart to precede the audio by a little bit, but except for a few places early in the intro (start of measure 5, for example) it's never a whole lot until the last couple of measures of the song (at which point I'd say you might want to remove some of those notes anyway - it's weird playing in Rocksmith when you can't hear the audio track).

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

@@albatross213

Yeah that's my biggest issue, some notes seem to be "early" but I'm alays doubting how much I can move them when looking at the wave graph. As they seem to have a long ring to them with a spike wich makes it hard to tell if the beat actually is near the spike or somewhere along the curve leading up to the spike. And a lot of the notes are off-beat too so that doesn't really make it easier  :lol:

And you are right, I can probably best remove the last measures of the 'outro' since you can't really hear any notes. As it was pretty hard to sync them up too since it's barely hearable.

I'll fiddle around a bit more and might upload a better version later when I feel I made some progress, and if you are willing to have another look at it again. But already a big thanks for taking the time of helping me!

@@albatross213

I updated the files in the link. Do you think this is good enough? I don't know why but sometimes it feels there is a delay in the sound/clapping of the notes with what I see on screen so I would appreciate a second opinion.

It's first time I really noticed this with trying to sync this song (synced 2 other songs before who didn't seem to have that problem). EoF also crashes a lot more too than when I was working on the other songs. No idea why.

@@PC Plum

Haha I know. Just having a lot harder time with this song than the 2 previous ones I synced. And I kept resetting all the beat markers everytime I 'synced' the song because I wasn't satisfied. So I just kept losing a lot of time because of that, had no progress and was almost giving up trying to sync the song. That's why I asked for a second opinion here.

@@A51Ripcord

Thanks I'll check it out, the spectogram could come in handy. But looks like I'm already doing most of what he says in the video. This song just has a lot of off-beat notes wich makes it a lot harder, and a ring to the notes wich makes it hard (at least for me) to properly sync them

I don't know why but sometimes it feels there is a delay in the sound/clapping of the notes with what I see on screen so I would appreciate a second opinion.

Depending on your computer, you can try adjusting the AV Delay in File>Settings to improve the video sync during playback. Video sync is never to be fully trusted though since if your computer lags at all the video can easily get out of sync. The audio cues like claps and metronome ticks are mixed into the audio at the sample level and it's basically impossible for them to get out of sync with the audio, so this is the main thing you should rely on when syncing a song.

EoF also crashes a lot more too than when I was working on the other songs.

Which hotfix version are you using? If you see EOF crash (Windows says the program stopped working, had to close, etc.), try to see if you can cause it to crash again by doing what you were when it crashed. If you can ever reproduce a crash by opening EOF, opening a project file and performing a specific set of steps, let me know and I'll fix it.
  • Like 1

I just had a quick look at the project files, and I must say, you picked a tough one for your 3rd time :)

All in all, really well done. It's tough when there's lots of syncopated guitar lines like this and you did a great job of staying locked into the drums.

Like Plum said, it will get easier. And you will get faster with the syncing process. Feel free to PM me or post back here if you hit any snags.

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

@@GetTheLedOut

Thanks for having a look! Do you think it's worth keeping this sync or should I still mess around with it? I think it's ok for the most part now tough. But my opinion may be skewed since I have been trying to sync it for so long. (already made a few small slight adjustments where some notes where off after I uploaded it, but not much)

And yeah, I really figured how to properly sync with the 2nd track I did (still not finished those cdlc's tough). Spend a few hours on that one until I figured it out, and got it under half an hour when I got the hang of it. I spend hours going back and forth on this one tough, so it's nice to hear you think I did a good job with it  :lol:

I'll probably open up a thread, later today, in the workshop section  so I can keep everything in the same place with some specific questions per song I'm working on. And probably upload test-cdlc's over there for the last two, so people who want, can have a test run on them before I upload the cdlc. As I want them to be good enough so people actually want to play or learn the songs.

And I know I could probably pick a lot easier songs but you could say I like a challenge  :D

• Like 1

@@ikwtif Yeah, I'd say it's good to go.

It's also really great to see that you're committed to testing/fixing/and re-testing. Between that and asking lots of questions, you'll shorten your learning curve really quickly :)

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs