Syncing Your Beat Map With Editor on Fire (EoF)

GetTheLedOut

Hey everyone!

I've been wanting to create a tutorial like this for some time, and I finally got around to it :)

Hopefully some of you will find it helpful, and feel free to leave any questions or comments you may have:

For further insights into using the spectrogram, you can refer to @@albatross213 's post here (sorry for the numeric dyslexia when I mentioned your name in the video).

Also, would anyone like to see any other EoF- based tutorials? If so, which topics would be the most helpful to you? Let me know here

• Like 9

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

• Administrator

Why don't you use the estimate BPM function of EOF? it works flawlessly for any x/4 or x/2 time signature and actually avoid a lot of syncing in the easiest cases.

Count in measure are vital for a good looking and official like CDLC yet you completely ignore that aspect...

"Always" import the time signature of the GP file during the first import. It helps lay down the layout of the song (really helpfull in complicated song like Dream Theater or Tool) and in simple song it avoids setting it by hand which will take more time than just clik on the "yes" button. Unless the GP file is really wrong but it's pretty rare for time signature and even though readjusting it isn't complicated after.

But that's a cool video really close to the method i wrote down about 1 year ago.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@firekorn I tried using the BPM estimator a long time ago with mixed results - maybe it's better now. So thanks for pointing that out.

I suppose the "count in measure" is a matter preference, but it certainly is helpful. The good thing is, I basically ended up showing how to add one after I imported the GP file for the first time :)

You're absolutely right about importing the time signatures from the GP file and I mentioned all of that in the video. This particular song is all in 4/4, so I just wanted to show how to manually add/change the time signature in case anyone may need to do that in their project.

I made this because some people are more visual learners, and might benefit more from a video than a text tutorial - everyone learns differently. I've certainly played enough bad CDLCs in the past year and a half to understand that we can't have enough tutorials :)

• Like 1

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

• Administrator

The count measure is always there in official DLC so we should do that too (not having any count in measure can also cause section and phrases issue too in some cases like not being able to select the first section).

About the BPM estimator, i find that it's spot on on steady song, on song that have 2 clearly different tempo it get a value in between. And on song with multiple variation it's a mess but it's logic since it's an overall estimation. For x/6 tempo, the estimation is off by 2/3 or 4/3 so it's quite easy to correct the value if you are aware it.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Excellent vid GTLO, very patient and tutorial-style voice :D

I will say though that I once tried to write out an EoF tutorial and it became almost impossible to cater for all possible permutations of how to sync using EoF, it just gets far too much to keep coherent.  So, I do think that a tutorial should be straight down the middle, with one way of doing it, otherwise it can get bogged down in "if this", "if that" and it was nice to see how you do things.

I would probably do things slightly differently though :D

Maybe I'll do a new tutorial vid with my coarse Scottish accent, "I want you in ma belly".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Excellent tutorial GTLO.

I knew I wold manage to learn at least one new thing despite being familiar with this. I always wondered how people go about synching with no notes imported. Made no sense to me until you explained that you simply ensure the 2nd and 4th beats are typical in rock music and will form a consistent peak in the waveform.

raynebc told me once that when you slow down the playback speed and since that is resource intensive, you can reduce that resource hogging by unticking the TimeStretch option just above the 100% speed option in the menu. It did help because leaving it on would show different synch every time I played back a tiny part due to being on a budget PC.

Plum's right good charismatic narrator voice.

• Like 1

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

@@Berneer Thanks! I'm glad it was helpful to you.

That's a great tip about the time stretch feature. I did not know that. My PC isn't the greatest either, so I feel your pain. 

You really do get used to "reading" the waveform the more you do it, so I can definitely understand why some people have difficulty with it at first. Having any type of a music backround is a huge help too.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...