Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 99

Mortalo

http://i.imgur.com/2D4k2fG.jpg

Was having trouble matching my 92 run for a while but I just managed this. I think I can do a lot better at the riff I'm getting strikes on but I'm not going to have any more time to get higher this week.

• Like 2

Gamut now active again on Youtube!

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Come join us in the Rocksmith Championship!

Okay, I was like, "one more try before I go out for the night!" and it was a good idea because I sucked a lot less at that riff even though I made a lot more random mistakes everywhere else.

http://i.imgur.com/cRbGana.jpg

• Like 7

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

http://i.imgur.com/npibmkq.jpg

This is one of my favorite songs in or out of Rocksmith.  I've had it downloaded for ages, but the best I could manage before this week was around 72%, and I haven't tried in ages (since before starting the championship I think).  My initial run this week was around 91% though, so I'd say I've made some pretty solid improvements over the past two or three months.

I spent the last few days working in RR when I had time, mostly on that one section toward the end.  I can play it in isolation perfectly at 90% fairly consistently, 95% occasionally perfect or usually missing 1-4 notes, but at full speed it's still kind of a mess, especially in a full playthrough.  The rest of the song I have pretty well under my fingers at full speed, but consistency in a score attack run obviously isn't quite there yet.

And I actually hit exactly 95.87% on three runs in a row just now, with different scores/multipliers/streaks each time (this one is the most recent and highest streak), so I think I've probably plateaued for the evening.  I plan on working on it more tomorrow, but just in case I don't get around to it (or don't manage to secure a better score before the early cutoff), I wanted to get my screenshot uploaded now.

I'm not sure what exactly is planned for the big 100, but it'll have to be a short week for me regardless.  I'll be out of town from Friday until the beginning of October, and I'm not sure how much time I'll have to play between packing and getting other stuff done before I leave.  That also means I'll be out for the entirety of Week 101 unfortunately.  

So just in case I'm completely MIA for the next two weeks: Congratulations on keeping this going for almost two full years now, and thanks for all the work everyone puts in each week  :D  I've had a lot of fun participating and have definitely been exposed to a ton of songs I probably never would have even listened to if not for this competition, much less tried to play myself.

• Like 6

Well, I've been giving "I Want You Back" a go on rhythm, and except for the chorus, I guess it's going OK. The interlude was pretty tricky for me, but I was able to do pretty well on it after slowing it way down in RR and getting used to the chord patterns and the transitions between them before speeding things back up. Still some room for improvement there, but...

http://i.imgur.com/putSw5F.jpg

But I don't really know where to begin with practicing the chorus. I have trouble arpeggiating those chords even when I have all the time in the world when looking at the chord book (speaking of which, the fingering on many of these chords is totally fucked. Unless the charter has a very uniquely shaped 255th finger) because I have trouble either cramming all of the fingers into the itty-bitty frets or if I try to fret multiple strings with one finger I usually inadvertently mute another string.

Which I guess brings me to a broader question: when practicing a song that has new chords,

i) how do you guys familiarize yourself with those chords and 

ii) how do you prepare yourself for the transitions between chords?

I can deal with power chords pretty well (obviously), but when it comes to assuming more complex chord positions and then swiftly changing between them I'm pretty lost.

And there's still a lot I still have to learn with regards to right hand technique, though I'm slowly getting better. 

Lastly, @@then3verend and @@Nacholede are mods  :blink:

• Like 2

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

@@albatross213

i) Practice - playing songs

ii) Practice - playing songs (or I don't uderstand the question...)

"I have trouble either cramming all of the fingers into the itty-bitty frets"

Maybe because they were childs when they made that song, so they had smaller hands.

• Like 3

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

@@albatross213

i) Practice - playing songs

ii) Practice - playing songs (or I don't uderstand the question...)

The problem is what happens in most songs is way too fast for what I can handle right now. I could handle something like the interlude in "I Want You Back" OK at 30% speed despite not being familiar with it, but the chorus is way too much at too fast a speed for me. I could maybe do it if I just ignored all of the strums and tried to get one good chord in for each position before moving to the next one, but even that might be asking a lot at the moment.

Edit: Also, while they may play the songs (or some approximation of them) live, I think the recordings were done with studio musicians. Winton Felder on bass and such.

Which I guess brings me to a broader question: when practicing a song that has new chords,

i) how do you guys familiarize yourself with those chords and 

ii) how do you prepare yourself for the transitions between chords?

I can deal with power chords pretty well (obviously), but when it comes to assuming more complex chord positions and then swiftly changing between them I'm pretty lost.

When I'm learning new chords, I try to compare it to a chord I already know. Often something new will use the same shape as something old, or just has one different fingering.

If it's something completely new to me, I pay close attention to what Rocksmith says I should be doing with my fingers (the #1-4 that appears on the frets on the UI), though sometimes I'll do it my own way since I favour my ring finger a lot.

Chord transitions are probably the hardest thing to get the hang of. The most useful advice is the most general: as with just about anything musical, it's really important to slow down and do the transition at a tempo you can do it cleanly, then work your way up to speed.

The more specific advice I have on transitions is - try to be as efficient as possible with your movements. I find that when I was starting out on guitar, I moved my fingers a lot unnecessarily, wasted a lot of energy and time, and negatively impacted my tone. Being efficient usually requires a little premeditation and the method varies from riff to riff.

In Hanuman for example, the riff I was having the most trouble with became very easy when I realised that I could fret a minor chord shifted up one string, and then just shift the whole shape down a fret halfway through. Before that I was trying to hit each individual note in the arpeggio and was struggling hard, but once I figured this out I was barely moving my hand and hitting every note.

That is way more words than I was expecting to write. I hope that was helpful.

• Like 3

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

The more specific advice I have on transitions is - try to be as efficient as possible with your movements. I find that when I was starting out on guitar, I moved my fingers a lot unnecessarily, wasted a lot of energy and time, and negatively impacted my tone. Being efficient usually requires a little premeditation and the method varies from riff to riff.

I know what you mean with that. I was playing Star Chords (level 5, I think) and it took me a while before I realized that for transitioning between the C and Am chord all I had to do was move my ring from A3 to G2, I think. Before that I'd freak out and start fingering each chord from scratch. A similar thing happened for the interlude in I Want You Back, where for most of those chord changes I could slide a mini-barre around and move one other finger.

I still feel like I really suck at Star Chords, especially now that there are no power chords, but it seems to actually be pretty good practice. Would be more useful if you could select which chords would show up (and not be eligible for leaderboards), but that would be too convenient.

• Like 2

@@albatross213 I stop RR, check position and play this chord by chord,  play very slow with checking strings sounds, step by step increase speed ~20-39 min (i have  not more patience), then check progress in RR, if progress enough for one day, play total a song, and repeat all this  every day, else again stop RR and repeat all row actions. If i very like a song, and chords really hard, do same,  yet play without RS14 (guitar is offline), this changing chords and watch TV (films), a lot time. (Same for some arpeggios or solo)

P.s. If i unlike a song and have not enough progress i make post there that a song bad, or this is not adv level difficult :)

Pp.s For great a song, yet play this phrase with metronome(drums) via zoom g3x(start with low speed, step by step inc), like it was with one a song by Megadeth. (Real temp to got via tap function.)

• Like 5

MC Lead:

http://i.imgur.com/5FI4AmN.png

Good song to practice with. Pretty difficult indeed, got some fatigue but overall this was pretty fun :D

May upload a youtube video of this soon.

• Like 9

Sakata's J-Rock, Speed Metal, and Anime Workshop

Will be bringing more Japanese content within the coming weeks!

Youtube Channel (uploading again)

Looking forward to week 100 - excited about what we will see...

I'd also be soooo happy if I could pull off Hanuman at a decent level - it is a bit out of my league.

Here are my results (having problem linking directly to images in Flicker - here comes the links):

Bass

Rythm

https://flic.kr/p/xQzMsf

20896843214_f7004562e8_z.jpg

20898472523_6263afcefb_z.jpg

• Like 7

Problems with Rocksmith registering? Don't bother - remember the wise words of Yngwie Malmsteen:

"Use your ears; If it sounds good, then it is good!"

Thanks @Mortalo! The championships are still somewhat new to me (even thought this has been around for almost 2 years) but I guess I'll finally join in on the fun haha

• Like 4

Sakata's J-Rock, Speed Metal, and Anime Workshop

Will be bringing more Japanese content within the coming weeks!

Youtube Channel (uploading again)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=520525875I don't wanna leave Adv bass  :fearful:

• Like 8

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

http://i.imgur.com/S4jaiCf.jpg

First play to see it off. Never heard of it before. Cool song. 

Also! I'm maybe recording a video?!?!?! :open_mouth: For the first time in months! :open_mouth: Because I finally fixed my laptop!!

http://i.imgur.com/FKB9sbu.jpg?1

Are you all ready to see my sexy self miss all the licks at at Out of the Black MM?! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: 

• Like 3

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Oh, you weasel! I'm coming back with a 95.5!

• Like 4

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~