I've just signed up for a lifetime subscription to Tab Pro - was this a mistake?

JamesPrestonUK

Question

I can't find a way to download tabs from Tab Pro. I can print them, but that's not a huge amount of use! Is there a cunning way to get the tabs into Guitar Pro or am I faced with a lifetime of entering the notes manually from a piece of paper.....?

All comments welcome!

Cheers,
James

I chart BASS PARTS ONLY. Requests for guitar parts will be ignored. I hope that is clear. 

Twitter updates: @jamesprestonuk

Donations: https://paypal.me/jamesprestonuk?country.x=GB&locale.x=en_GB (thank you!)

10 answers to this question

I've just found this http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/pdftomusic.htmwhich apparently converts pdf scores into midi files, which would be a help, although it's £40....

I chart BASS PARTS ONLY. Requests for guitar parts will be ignored. I hope that is clear. 

Donations: https://paypal.me/jamesprestonuk?country.x=GB&locale.x=en_GB (thank you!)

I got (What seems to be lifetime) access to tab pro for free when I uploaded a tab on their site. Never found a way to download the tabs so I never use it.

It might have been a mistake my friend, unless some other user knows how to get around that.

However, most of the tabs there are stuff already available on UG, so try searching for it and see if you have some luck.

Well, if they don't want you to use this tabs elsewhere, than you may broke some lic shit about it, but there should exist ways to do so, at least some plugin or patch for gp to allow export it(because you dl smth to memory and that possible to dump, image it or real gp), at least to midi or ascii, because what you bough is view-only access to their database, haha.

As option screencap && recognize in app that do sheet\tabs recognition, there was some of them at web.

Also PCPlum asked about similar thing earlier, read it here:
http://customsforge.com/topic/18660-anyone-got-a-sub-for-mysongbook/
http://customsforge.com/topic/17450-can-someone-make-a-gp-file-for-me/

• Like 1

Thanks for that Alex360 - it looks like it's elbow grease then! I'll see what I can find on the web for recognition as per your suggestion.

Well, I'm sorry to tell you that buying a subscription to Tab Pro was a mistake not only because you get a free lifetime subscription once you upload a single tab to UG but also because they almost exclusively use GP tabs that are uploaded by users to UG and are available for free anyway, just presenting them in a different manner and allowing you to play them online. I guess the reason you can't download them is simply because you can download them on UG anyway.

Also, don't waste any money on note recognition software. It's not worth it. I haven't found a single one that works as expected and it's almost always quicker and easier to do it by hand.

• Like 3

Well, I'm sorry to tell you that buying a subscription to Tab Pro was a mistake not only because you get a free lifetime subscription once you upload a single tab to UG but also because they almost exclusively use GP tabs that are uploaded by users to UG and are available for free anyway, just presenting them in a different manner and allowing you to play them online. I guess the reason you can't download them is simply because you can download them on UG anyway.

Also, don't waste any money on note recognition software. It's not worth it. I haven't found a single one that works as expected and it's almost always quicker and easier to do it by hand.

Thanks Aludog - what do they say about fools and their money?  :)  Still, you've saved me double what I wasted on the Tab Pro subscription by stopping me spending any more on the note recognition software.

If you click on the tabs in Tab Pro you can actually see who tabbed them and get to their profile on UG. If that's not a dead give away, I don't know. :D

Btw, don't subscribe to mysongbook.com either. You can't get GP tabs to work with from there because they won't let you edit or export them. You can only print them to PDF. The tabs are good though, so sometimes buying a single tab and putting in the manual work to make a useable version might be worth it.

^this

I have spent unfathomable hours mucking around with sheet music to midi conversion to use with Synthesia, (think RS for Piano)

Trying to parse anything with ocr is very hit and miss and mostly miss! This is coming from someone who has wasted ages on Piano sheet where things are standardized way more fully than tab!

Don't waste your money.

My initial thought was to see how things where passed to the printer and simply dump that to txt file. But someone previously mentioned another site that simply lets you download the tabs anyway.

• Like 1

@@chroma @@JamesPrestonUK I partly have to take back what I said here after I got a chance to test PhotoScore 8. It still makes mistakes but the level of recognition is astonishing and it works relatively fast. It can even recognize tabs and reproduce them accurately. If there are any errors it tells you where they are and if you're familiar with Sibelius then you can fix them easily, because the reproduced file can be edited like a Sibelius score. Output the file as music xml and you can get it into GP without any changes to the tab. Pretty awesome.

For the time being I can definitely recommend PhotoScore 8. At least try the demo with some of your scores and you might be amazed.

Thanks @@Aludog - those products look incredible!

• Like 1