EOF version numbering

Now that Google Code is read only I'm being forced to pick another CVS. Github seems to be preferred, but this introduces an issue since EOF builds now won't have SVN revision numbers unless I artificially maintain them such as with an SVN repository I host myself. Going forward, what do the toolkit devs think I should use in the version string (since the toolkit looks for this and will nag users that have an old build)?

Hi @@raynebc,

I believe this is not an issue.

You can write the date time or virtual version on file and we can read and parse this value.

About a virtual versioning definition, you can use something like "yyDDDhh", where "yy" is the year, "DDD" is the day of the year (0 until 365) and "hh" is the hour of the compilation.

This resulting in a version like: 1524021

ANY FILES ARE FOR EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY !!!

• Developer

Have a look at the toolkit prebuild.bat.  You will see that toolkit is using Github's unique 4 byte commit header id for toolkit revision numbering.  Maybe you could  do something similar for EOF? 

BTW:  This is automatic numbering system so no manual editing.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

• Developer

Git commit number is passed to the app using this file, ToolkitVersion.cs_dist
This file is a dumby template file, that gets copied to a local tempfile.txt file and then Github commit version is written to temp file.  Finally temp file is copied to real file ToolkitVersion.cs  which is compiled with the app.

All this gets initiated automatically through VS "Pre-build event command line" which runs the prebuild.bat.  So once it is setup it runs itself.

Hope I didn't loose you with my explanation.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

When you say "git commit number", you're referring to the SHA value, right? Setting up a script to build a temp file and replace a source file in the project seems kind of elaborate to me, and even then I don't like the idea of using the SHA. I'll probably prefer a timestamp or a release number.

• Developer

On Github I think it is refrered to as a commit version number but I could be wrong.  As an example for  "commit 9362096abfe197b01bcbbda677e9ecd660df957", the prebuild.bat pulls the first 4 bytes (really 8 characters) 9362096a and uses this as the unique build identifier. 

I know this seems elaborate but it works very well.  Once setup, the commit number allows you to quickly identify which Github build your users are using or referencing issues with.

EDIT:  we are both talking about version control be it SVN or GIT and there are many other ways to do it.  I'm just sharing how it is done with the toolkit.

Instead of having incremental numbers for commits, Git uses SHA hash values. I guess it makes sense in that Git is about having no authoritative, central repository for the code but losing SVN style commit numbering may very well be my single biggest annoyance about the change. For the sake of making it easy for users and the toolkit to identify if an old version of EOF is in use, the hash value isn't very desirable (ie. can't get any easier than #1

• Developer

You decide what version control system you would like to use for EOF that works for you and we will accommodate it in the toolkit.  Not a problem.

• Developer

I added two lines to a mocked up toolkit prebuild.bat (look for newrevdate).  This is an easy way to automatically pull the date from the git commit.

Just run the prebuild.bat from the same folder that contains the .git folder.

EDIT: added link to mocked up prebuild.bat

• Developer

@@raynebc be sure to check out SmartGit if you haven't already.  It makes working with Github much easier, IMHO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy