Practice Schedules

bobbybrady123

Question

11 answers to this question

4-6 hours a day every day, more on the weekends.

Warmup with scales, then just play everything and anything. If I find something I'm failing at, rif repeat or a guitarcade challenge that uses that skill. 

I suck at root/octave fingered bass string skipping at the moment and need to figure that out. 

My descending rakes are also pretty weak. 

Open to suggestions for new songs to track.

• Administrator

I stream about 3-4 hours every day of the week and outside of that i record some stuff and do transcription or other CDLC related stuff that help a bit on the theory side of things and to work the ear.

Overall i'm not really working a specific song and neither try to master any but i still let the master mode on to work on the memory side of things even if that means i'll get a lower score than without the master mode.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Once per week guitar studies with teacher, and approximately 30 min per day doing stuff with the guitar. Usually learning new riffs or running through scales. I'd like to play more, but I have limited time available :/ 

Started this year w/ the goal of practicing a minimum of 10m every day (unless I'm on vacation or something & don't have access to a guitar), but try to go for an hour or more if possible... biggest problem is that my wife gets sick of Rocksmith very quickly (esp. if I have to use Riff Repeater). I've still managed to average pretty much exactly 1 hour per day this year so far, despite missing a few. Recently finished playing through every song in regular & guitarcade mode on rhythm (some of them I had to "cheat" & do medium or easy), now I'm onto lead. XD Got every trophy except the 214 & 500 mission ones, so hopefully it doesn't take too long to get those (just need to get it to stop suggesting I beat my 1.2M score on Blitzkrieg Bop master mode -_-).

Spending my time each day

- on real training : exercises also away from RS : probably about 3*20min

- on learning a song to memorize : easily an hour

- on playing around in RS with your cDLCs : another hour

That's easily 3h / day - however very often / constantly interrupted by family business.

I never watch TV, not a single minute, wasted time.

My TV is Youtube.

Studying Music about another hour here.

I agree, this would not be possible with a wife. :lol:

When I do a custom (which I repeat playing ad nauseam before releasing),

the topics above melt as it always requires searching some new technique (i.e tones, amps)

That's at least 4hours a day, and I do nothing else then.

The kids don't care, but the dog starts complaining. :D

I started to play guitar after 20 years when I first saw rocksmith 2014 from a friend and since nearly 1,5 year I am playing rocksmith. 4-5 days a week when I got back from my job after I eat my dinner and talk to wife and kids 1 or 2 hours  before going to bed I take my guitar and start Rocksmith. Then I list the songs according to mastery level. I play a song that I never played (0% mastery) before and finish it lets say 64% mastery. I choose the next song with which is 65% mastery and try to improve the mastery score until I reach a better score then before and continue next  song with improved mastery . This loop continues  until I reach a song which i improve 80% or better. Then Return to 1st step. My goal is for the time being improve any song to %80 or better mastery then I will continue to 85% , 90% . Its fun and challenging sometimes. Up to now I think I reached more than 200 songs which are 80% or better.

But my Guitar teacher told me that Rocksmith is waste of time because only with playing songs you can never improve your playing. In one way i agree with him because without rocksmith if I take the guitar to my hand I don't know what to do. Even I can not play a song from from beginning to end without any scrolling notes in front of me. I can not memorize the songs with exact chords and solo since I get used to play with game. This is the biggest dilemma for me play guitar with rocksmith and have fun  or  sticking into practicing scales,drills and riffs .

I tend to think of song playthroughs in Rocksmith as more lighthearted/fun practice, while other things are the more serious practice. These other things can consist of technical drills and lessons (some of which I've implemented in Rocksmith to play along with the click tracks), riff repeater on particular parts of songs that I have trouble with or think I can learn from, ear training, and other things. 

I'm trying to be consistent with ear training and doing at least 10 minutes a day of that since I've got a long way to go there. The actual playing time can vary more widely, from nothing to a few hours a day. I now try to avoid playing so much that my joints and such get sore, but I definitely went over that line when I was getting more serious again several months back.

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Practice what the song of the week requires me to do on the Championship. do that for about an hour a day, then I work on things I suck at(bends, sweeps atm)

Then some light jamming, learn a new scale, see what it does the 2nd hour

Or ill just stream for a couple of hours and jam on whatever i want whenever i want, i dont take that as practice/learning, but more as rockin...

its about mindset

Many nice scores on all songs :)