Custom I made doesn't get past tuning

albatross213

Question

For one of the customs I'm working on (You Keep Me Hangin' On by The Supremes) when I finish tuning up the camera moves like the note highway is about to start, but the game freezes before it shows up. This is not a problem with a bunch of other customs that I've made, including a bunch that I've generated successfully today (when I tried a few more things when generating the .psarc), and a couple of others that I originally made at the same time as my first attempt with this song.

Others have mentioned that this might be because the tones I used are corrupt, but I tried it with several different tones (including the official from My Girl by The Temptations) and that didn't help.

Next I tried redoing the .wem in case I did any of the settings for that horribly wrong and that was causing problems (though in hindsight that seems unlikely given that the preview audio seemed to be working fine), but the problems remained.

So, now I'm thinking it might be that Rocksmith is unhappy with something in the chart in EoF. Might this be on track, and if so, what might need fixing? Anyone have any other ideas?

Everything I used to make the .psarc (except tones) is in this dropbox folder, in case those files help guide your thought. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

9 answers to this question

I poked at it a bit and wasn't able to get it working (it actually crashes the game for me) or notice anything obviously wrong with the package or eof project.  EOF did complain about the count and end phrases, as well has hand position stuff, but those issues don't usually crash the game.  I did delete all sections and phrases just to check, but that didn't resolve anything (other than getting rid of eof's warnings about count/end phrases).

Something I didn't have a chance to try that you might want to check is saving with different builds of EOF.  There could be some weird bug that causes it to export to xml incorrectly in this specific track that either wasn't present in an earlier build, or has been fixed in a more recent one.  For reference, I've been using r1428, and I'm pretty sure there have been updates that I just haven't bothered downloading.

Oh, and something else just occurred to me (that I should've thought of earlier).  You can try generating the psarc with just the bass or rhythm arrangement alone to see if it's something specific to one or the other that's causing the problem.  If it is isolated to just one of the arrangements, it might help in tracking down whatever is causing the crash/freeze.

This sounds very similar to the post I just made. I'll add my psarc file to it as suggested.

I chart BASS PARTS ONLY. Requests for guitar parts will be ignored. I hope that is clear. 

Twitter updates: @jamesprestonuk

Donations: https://paypal.me/jamesprestonuk?country.x=GB&locale.x=en_GB (thank you!)

After following the advice in this and @@JamesPrestonUK's thread I was able to get it working. The things I changed were

1) Generated hand positions

2) Generated XML files in latest version of EoF.

3) Jettisoned the guitar track. 

4) Used the Toolkit on the .wav file rather than the .wem I'd generated from it. (I didn't realize this was a thing, though I did notice you could select the .wav in the toolkit. Just never tried it to see what happened)

In bad scientific practice, I did all of them at once. If I had to bet on which step fixed the problem, I'd guess 2 or 4. Then again, I guess I do have the dropbox folder with the old files, so I could go back and test it.

Since I got it working, I'll probably try putting the guitar track back in - I'd be surprised if the guitar track had anything that would crash the game, given how simple it is.

There was also an interesting side effect of using the .wav in the toolkit - for some reason, the preview (and importantly, only the preview) was sped up. Here's a playthrough video so you can see that and also see the chart in action. Tab probably needs some fixes to be 100% faithful, but it's not too bad.

And while we're here, @@Bentron or others, how do I get rid of the warnings about Count and End phrases? I never really understood exactly what I was supposed to do, perhaps because I don't really understand much about phrases.

I'm pretty sure it had to do with the new conversion of the wav file. Anyway, I'm glad you got this solved.

Also, judging from the playthrough, I'd just like to mention that it's more likely Jamerson stayed in first position for all of this. That was his style, considering he needed to use open strings a lot to get a good and fast groove with his one finger "hook" technique. That's also why many of these classic Motown tracks are either in F, C, D or G major, so Jamerson could tear it a new one in his favorite position. :D

Going up to the 8th fret seems therefore very unlikely and unnecessary because he rarely switched positions if the progression didn't ask for it (which it seldom did). I know it's up to personal preference, I just thought I'd mention it.

Well played btw and the tab seems very solid too.

• Like 1

• Developer

@@Alex360 have a look at the showlights.xml.  Looks pretty sparse. 

@@albatross213

Sometimes bad showlights.xml is responsible for hanging the game right after tuning.  You could try removing showlights.xml after you generate the psarc using your initial EOF project files.  To attempt this fix you would unpack the psarc, remove the showlights.xml and then repack.  Do this using the Packer/Unpacker tab menu after you have generated the psarc in the Creator tab menu.

EDIT:  if removing showlights.xml fixes your song then please let Alex or me know so we can apply a fix to toolkit.

• Like 1

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

And while we're here, @@Bentron or others, how do I get rid of the warnings about Count and End phrases? I never really understood exactly what I was supposed to do, perhaps because I don't really understand much about phrases.

I usually just avoid the issue by only placing sections (not phrases) when I'm working in EOF.  It's probably not the right way to go about it, but because I eventually end up using DDC in the toolkit anyway, I just let that figure out the phrases automatically.  

Not having phrases doesn't seem to prevent anything from working in the game (RR only appears to need need sections to function), so I've been able to just ignore phrases entirely until I run the custom through DDC.  Unfortunately, I don't know what the "proper" way of dealing with that warning is either.

I usually just avoid the issue by only placing sections (not phrases) when I'm working in EOF.  It's probably not the right way to go about it, but because I eventually end up using DDC in the toolkit anyway, I just let that figure out the phrases automatically.  

Not having phrases doesn't seem to prevent anything from working in the game (RR only appears to need need sections to function), so I've been able to just ignore phrases entirely until I run the custom through DDC.  Unfortunately, I don't know what the "proper" way of dealing with that warning is either.

Huh. I thought I remembered EoF giving me some other sort of warning if I tried placing sections without placing phrases. Maybe I was wrong, though, or maybe that's been changed since several months ago.

@@Aludog - Thanks for the heads up! It was easy enough to switch the tab over, but I might add the way that it I have it now as a bonus in case anyone would prefer that. Also, just curious, does this info come from "Standing in the Shadows of Motown", or somewhere else? Can't say that I know much about Jamerson except that he laid the foundation for tons of great tracks.

@@cozy1 - I was able to get it working, but I could go back to the version of the .psarc I have in the dropbox folder and see if that fixes it.

@@albatross213 Most of the knowledge I have about that subject stems purely from making my own transcriptions for Jamerson bass lines as well as looking at other peoples transcriptions and it's easy enough to see a pattern with all of those, especially once you read up about his technique or watch the mentioned documentation. Also, this is not purely a Jamerson thing because many other famous session bass players from that period had a similar play style (very likely influenced by Jamerson though), so you could say it relates to the times and genre as a whole and gives you a good idea of how to work with bass lines from that era. Of course, you can take that with a grain of salt since it's all based on personal experience and I have no formal education or deep knowledge of music history but just goes to show how much you can learn just by transcribing music yourself. It's without a doubt the single most valuable thing any musician can learn and I encourage anyone to try it.

Btw, I'm actually thinking about studying music at my university to get some formal education and deepen my musical knowledge which is all self taught up to now but I'm not sure yet; maybe if time allows.