First Try! Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes

MVega

One of my all-time favorite songs....

v1.9-- Redrew beatmap to fix sync. Should be much better now.-- Re-charted some passages in lead part (should be easier to play).-- Fixed errors in lead part.-- Fixed strum pattern errors in rhythm part-- Changed passing muted chords in rhythm part to passing notes.-- Mild tone upgrades.-- Added Dynamic Difficulty-- Changed scroll speed to 2.0

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/pale-blue-eyes-r1839

V.1.7:

-- Reworked the sections. There are now lots of very short sections. Makes it much easier to work in the Riff Repeater.

-- Reworked Lead tone. I think it's closer -- still can't quite get that sweet tube tone though.

-- Fixed a minor error in the chart.

V 1.6

-- Added a click lead-in (hope it works!)

-- Fixed Rhythm Part - changed passing chords from open strings to mutes

V. 1.5 (Release Candidate)

-- Added Rhythm Part

-- Fixed Bass and Lead parts

-- Added lyrics

-- Added tones

V 0.2

--Added Bass Part (Tabbed by ear by yours truly -- see discussion below)

-- Fixed Lead Part (discovered a ton of new errors in the original tab)

V 0.1

-- Lead Part

History:

I started this project by unpacking a DAT prepared by someone else, planning to just repack it for RS2014, since the charter had disappeared and I couldn't bear going back to RS2012. But I discovered that he'd barely done any work on the file -- really just imported the GPro file for the lead guitar part available on the net. But the Gpro file is not at all accurate (it just repeats the verses and choruses, but the parts for each are quite different). There was also a problem with the audio file the original charter had used -- there was a bit of silence at the beginning, which threw off his entire beat-map. And the file wasn't great quality either.

I ended up tossing out his audio, ripping my own CD in a high-quality format, then completely recharting the lead guitar part -- tabbing each verse separately by ear. So I do believe it's very accurate now. I also charted the bass and rhythm parts.

Originally I'd intended to give the original charter credit for starting the project. But at this point, this one's all my work now.

• Like 1

FIX the slides! I screwed those up-- I still need to learn how to tab those!

Basic slides are done the same as sustains - select the note, set the length of the slide with the mouse wheel, then press ctrl+up arrow/down arrow for a slide

Figure out how to chart the down-slide 

In this case, instead of ctrl+up/down, you press ctrl+u (unfretted slide)

Lyrics (if I can figure out how to do this)

Ultrastar creator is your friend :) copy/paste the lyrics and synch them in there.

"When we were young the world was like a vision - the colours and the sounds they took our breath away. But now we watch it all on television while eating processed meat out of a plastic tray." -NoMeansNo

My Customs

I might give Heroin a shot... but I have a feeling this one's going to take a few more days, and I have to get back into work mode next week, which is going to limit my time.

I have to say, once you actually dive in and do it, it's not nearly as difficult as it looks. Don't do what I did though -- start with a song with an accurate Gpro tab. That'll make your life a LOT easier.

And I have to say, I probably wouldn't have tried if Smithy's had exploded... this forum really helps a lot.

Basic slides are done the same as sustains - select the note, set the length of the slide with the mouse wheel, then press ctrl+up arrow/down arrow for a slide

Does this make the end note/fret of the slide show up in Rocksmith? I'll give it a try tomorrow, my eyes are way too bleary now...

Does this make the end note/fret of the slide show up in Rocksmith? I'll give it a try tomorrow, my eyes are way too bleary now...

Ctrl+up or down makes a definite ending for the slide - ctrl+u are those slides that just kind of fade away before they end (I think they are called unfretted slides)

"When we were young the world was like a vision - the colours and the sounds they took our breath away. But now we watch it all on television while eating processed meat out of a plastic tray." -NoMeansNo

My Customs

Spent another morning working on the file. I think I have the slides fixed now. I'm still trying to figure out this hand position thing -- I keep getting warnings. I think because I'm using an unorthodox (personal) fingering. 

But I was able to correct a lot of errors in the original tab that I hadn't spotted before, so it's all good.

I posted a new version, now with bass part!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xk36qv8g0t95gvh/The-Velvet-Underground_Pale-Blue-Eyes_v2_2_p.psarc

I had to tab this entirely by ear - the GPro file just wasn't any way near accurate. For one thing, the bass line has lots of little changes for each verse, but the Gpro file used repeats.

But I had to make a choice. For me, Pale Blues was written in F and should be played that way. But for the Gpro tab, whoever tabbed it downtuned the guitar a whole step. Now, I hate to retune my guitar, and besides, the song is in F, there's no reason why it can't be played in standard tunning.

Except this left me with a decision for what to do about the bass. For much of the song, it's pretty clear (to me) that he's playing up the neck -- there are a couple of fills in there that can't be done anywhere else. But it also seems like he drops down to first position a couple of times. Which still works in standard tuning EXCEPT for one single note... so I just rewrote that section up the neck.

Now, I'm not a bass player (anymore, I started out on bass though), so I'd appreciate some feedback about this one. To me, it looks like a lot of fun to play -- plenty of interesting fills.

I still need to develop a custom tone for both the guitar and bass parts. The bass comes from Dock of the Bay, since that was recorded around the same time. The lead is a mod of Love That's Gone.

I do believe I'm done... at least I hope so! 

Here's what I hope is a release candidate: http://www.mediafire.com/download/47nv0a9pjl1ckzk/Velvet-Underground_Pale-Blue-Eyes_v1_5_p.psarc 

-- if anyone plays it and spots any errors, please let me know. I'm curious about what bass players think of the bass part - and especially the fret finger positions. Otherwise I'll submit this to the database tomorrow.

Any suggestions for tweaking the tones are welcome as well. I think the lead tone is pretty close -- there's a bit of a cluck to the tone that I'd like to get rid of, if anyone things they know how.

I added a rhythm track as well, although it's not exactly what's on the record. For one thing, it was probably originally played with a capo on the fifth fret. And I'm pretty sure Lou Reed is adding little hammer-ons and extensions now and then, but it's very hard to hear, and that sort of thing doesn't work as well in Rocksmith. Just like it seems he's focusing on the just a couple of strings at a time, but holding down the full chord anyway -- as far as I know, Rocksmith can't really handle that kind of playing. Or the screen would become much too cluttered.

The rhythm guitar is buried in reverb anyway. In the end (after working on three or four versions), I decided to put a simple strumming version.

A new minor change. I discovered EOF can add a click count lead-in, so I'm trying that out.

I also changed the passing chords in the rhythm section to muted strings instead of open strings.

I tried to strip the chords back to as bare as possible, because I don't like the way Rocksmith handles chords - if you don't hit ALL of the strings it displays, it'll give a miss. But who plays ALL of the strings when they play chords? (And in Pale Blue Eyes, he definitely plays different parts of the chord).

New link: https://www.mediafire.com/?bqs5kv11dww3w4u