Issues with Rocksmith 2014 / E-String not working

Skyy22

Question

Hey,

i just started learning again via Online Teacher and Rocksmith 2014.

I brought my Ibanez grg121dx to my local guitarstore and they put on new strings, because the old one where very dirty and old...

They also checked the guitar if everything is alright. And it was everything alright.

But my problem now is, that if I have to play the 9th fret + (so all from 9th to 19th fret) rocksmith just keeps telling me "wrong"... i mean it's for example the first lesson...where u have to play 3 4 5 7 8 9 12 11 10 9 on the e-string... i don't think that i messed that one up  :D  :D

so i reallly think that there's something wrong with my guitar...can you help me guys?

8 answers to this question

The easiest way to check is simply get a tuner and verify you guitar is playing on mentioned frets notes that it should to play. If it plays wrong notes check this: http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Your-Guitar%27s-Intonation

Rocksmith 2014 Championship
Leaderboards
Song selection
Class List
Rank

Signature stolen with minimal changes from @MaZtoR :)

@@Skyy22 - In addition to intonation problems (which hopefully aren't that serious if they checked the setup), it's possible that you're fretting the strings too hard or bending them somewhat as you fret, both of which are pretty common problems for beginners.

Sometimes I've had problems with how Rocksmith detects notes on high frets even when my intonation is on point based on a real world tuner, and in that case it usually helps improve note detection by tuning somewhat flat (~10 cents, or even a bit more once you get past the tuning screen) in game. I've had to do this on a couple of songs that we've had in the Championship several weeks back.

• Like 2

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

@@Skyy22 - In addition to intonation problems (which hopefully aren't that serious if they checked the setup), it's possible that you're fretting the strings too hard or bending them somewhat as you fret, both of which are pretty common problems for beginners.

Sometimes I've had problems with how Rocksmith detects notes on high frets even when my intonation is on point based on a real world tuner, and in that case it usually helps improve note detection by tuning somewhat flat (~10 cents, or even a bit more once you get past the tuning screen) in game. I've had to do this on a couple of songs that we've had in the Championship several weeks back.

A friend of mine played in a band so i guess he got some knowledge, we will check that later tonight.

Don't know if this might make a difference, but could your pickup be too low on the e string side?

Absolutely no idea :D How could i check that?

So the intonation was alright... (edit) or is it?

So my tuner shows it to me like that:

1E = high e-string

2B = b-string

3G = g-string

4D = d-string

5A = a-string

6E = low E-string

Remember, i got the issues only with the low E-string. So if i tune the guitar now and start doing the flaggeoletts at the high e-string the tuners shows me 1E, 2B, 3G, 4D, 5A and 1E!!

Is that right? Should it show it to me as 6E or 1E? :P

Fret the low E string at the 12th fret and play the note through the tuner. It should be an e if it's not, then the intonation is off. If it's an E open it will be an e at the 12th,, pretty simple..the little number behind it doesn't matter for this purpose.

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

1E = high e-string

2B = b-string

3G = g-string

4D = d-string

5A = a-string

6E = low E-string

Remember, i got the issues only with the low E-string. So if i tune the guitar now and start doing the flaggeoletts at the high e-string the tuners shows me 1E, 2B, 3G, 4D, 5A and 1E!!

That is a wrong way to check tuning! Natural harmonic on 12th freat will ALWAYS be octave higher than open string pitch. To really check your intonation you should play string normally at 12th fret and ensure that it plays as close to octave higher than normal as possible. I've setup my intonation few days ago and can say tune-o-matic bridge allows to fix intonation by 15-25 cents, no more.

Rocksmith 2014 Championship
Leaderboards
Song selection
Class List
Rank

Signature stolen with minimal changes from @MaZtoR :)

1E = high e-string

2B = b-string

3G = g-string

4D = d-string

5A = a-string

6E = low E-string

That is a wrong way to check tuning! Natural harmonic on 12th freat will ALWAYS be octave higher than open string pitch. To really check your intonation you should play string normally at 12th fret and ensure that it plays as close to octave higher than normal as possible. I've setup my intonation few days ago and can say tune-o-matic bridge allows to fix intonation by 15-25 cents, no more.

OH! On the Ibanez page i found a "guide" and there they said i have to play the flaggeolett.

I will check it wit the 12th fret...

There is no difference. If i play the strings open it's (start on low e-string) 6E, 5A, 4D, 3G, 2B, 1E. On the 12th fret it's 1E, 5A, 4D, 3G, 2B, 1E and on the flaggeolett it's 1E, 5A, 4D, 3G, 2B, 1E aswell.

I am so confused right now :D