Guitar strings for low tuning

Hey there guys/gals,

i just got a guitar a couple of months ago (i have been playing bass for 14 years)

now i want to play some Amon Amarth songs and some songs with C# tuning

what kind of string gauge do you recommend ?

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=25&productname=EXL116_Nickel_Wound__Medium_Top_Heavy_Bottom__11_52

11-52 would do the trick. Depends somewhat on the scale length of your guitar and how tight you want the tension to be.

By the way, Sylosis uses this gauge in E-standard to give them a heavy sound, but this required quite much from the neck of the guitar since the tension is going to be about 25% bigger.

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=25&productname=EXL116_Nickel_Wound__Medium_Top_Heavy_Bottom__11_52

11-52 would do the trick. Depends somewhat on the scale length of your guitar and how tight you want the tension to be.

By the way, Sylosis uses this gauge in E-standard to give them a heavy sound, but this required quite much from the neck of the guitar since the tension is going to be about 25% bigger.

Thank you both will run to the store after work and see how it goes

• Like 1

I play a bit of dethklock tuned to C .. ive been using 9-42s with no problems, though i feel 10s would feel a bit better on the treble side.  just for a giggle .. i put 8s on .. the strings had all the tension of overcooked spaghetti :P 

• Like 1

• Administrator

Depending on the neck and the truss rod inside, it might not move even with a variation of tension.

But overall it's about if you like spaghetti or very tight strings at a given tuning that will make you go toward one gauge or another.

Of course the neck tension is still a big thing to look at and setup correctly but good two way truss rod tend to be stable enough to not worry too much about them when changing string.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• 1 month later...