I have no idea what to call this thread, sorry :D

DevStereo

Question

Hey Guys

I thought it might be a interesting conversation (nailed that word) to speak about what you Guys would change or invent onto rocksmith 2014 or even what you would expect of a new version of Rocksmith (Rocksmith 20XX).

So what i was excited for when i first bought the Rocksmith 2014 Bundle, was actually the method to jam with my friends in game, without them being at my place.

I didn't expect it to have that kind of feature, but i was kinda optimistic because i misread the feature of the "splitscreen thingy going on".

So yeah i would love to have that feature of maybe the next Rocksmith coming out or be added to rs14.

Well that would be awesome and duelling with each other probably would be fun, to compete directly against each other (even tho i would get beat, my rate of success against you guys would be around -100.00%) [emoji38] .

Some improvement for recognizing bends and stuff, would be awesome too.

But yeah expecty my wished, rs14 is such a awesome game. Even better got it with Customsforge, playing almost all my favorite songs is such statisfiyng (nailed it again) and makes my life so much easier after a stressful work day. Well my Guitar still suffers a little bit, but he did pay me back already by slapping the last string in my face without any warning. [emoji85]

So what would you guys love to have in rs14 or maybe improve ?

Anyways, thanks guys.. Can't wait to read what you guys have up your sleeves (nailed it).

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

There's a giant hardware barrier (called the internet) that makes the online play of rocksmith pretty hard. The infrastructure of the US and even the world just isn't fast/stable enough to permit "fun" and accurate multiplayer. 

As mentioned above online play seems not to be possible due to delays in networks.

The thing I really were expecting from the first Rocksmith is the backing tracks, I remember how Guitar Hero enables the guitar sound when you are playing right, and disables on misses. I wish Rocksmith will be able to play only backing track on Master Mode or for learned phrases, and to add guitar track when you need to hear it to know how to play. And of course they should add a builtin ability to record videos and covers + I miss a replay after playing a song from the first Rocksmith: after you are playing a song it shows you a record of how you were playing (but devs should add a fastforward in that case).

• Like 1

Rocksmith 2014 Championship
Leaderboards
Song selection
Class List
Rank

Signature stolen with minimal changes from @MaZtoR :)

Yet...

I think it's a billion dollar industry with pots of gold for the first company to get there, you can bet that "they" are trying very hard to make it a reality.

All online games have lag and I have seen people in CSS with <10ms lag.  I'd play online with 10ms lag no problem.

• Like 1

Yet...

I think it's a billion dollar industry with pots of gold for the first company to get there, you can bet that "they" are trying very hard to make it a reality.

All online games have lag and I have seen people in CSS with <10ms lag.  I'd play online with 10ms lag no problem.

The problem is that 10ms isn't so spread (I've much higher latencies), the second thing is that CS and other shooters sends only a small in size packets with commands while Rocksmith will need to send an audio of good quality to get a good sound. And another moment is that you can send two comands in CS with a delay for example 10 ms, and if they will came to a server in moments with distance 15 or 20 ms it is still good, but that doesn't work for a sound. And a third major moment is that trafic is packetized and if a packet with a 300 ms of audio will be delayed it will be bad. That is a alltime trade between latency and bandwidth.

Funny fact: do you know what method of data transfer has a biggest bandwidth for a long distances? The method is simple: take a bunch of harddrives, write info to them, put them into the suitcase, get a plane ticket, read a data from drives on the destination PC.  :)

But enough speaking, anybody who is interested can try to play through Skype or Teamspeak (don't remember other audio-transfer apps).

PS: we shouldn't dive so much into the VR, but go to the friends garage or basement floor and play with them :)

• Like 1

Rocksmith 2014 Championship
Leaderboards
Song selection
Class List
Rank

Signature stolen with minimal changes from @MaZtoR :)

As cool as it'd be, synchronous online play just doesn't seem realistic to me.  Beyond just the network latency, you still need to somehow transmit audio to and from the clients.  Maybe someday we can have network latency down to sub-10ms for nearly everyone, which you would think would be playable.  But then you account for the fact that the clients need to compress and encode their audio and stream it up to a server (or other clients in a p2p setup) somewhere, which traditionally involves a buffer in the hundreds of millisecond to a couple seconds range.  There are also various audio and video delays on a hardware or OS level that may not match for all clients and will also contribute to the total latency.  Unfortunately, real-time, online jam sessions probably just aren't feasible.

What I think would be doable and still add a cool social aspect to the game would be asynchronous collaboration.  I'm sure everyone has seen the youtube covers of several people playing different parts of a song, and then compiling and mixing them.  A future feature of rocksmith could help facilitate that type of play.  

I could imagine it as a sort of expansion of session mode, where you can program or import a drum and/or keyboard track, setup tempo/time signature, chord progression, etc, and then share that template online with your friends.  Everyone plays their part, uploads it, and then you can mix the various tracks together and publish it somewhere.

Another feature I'd really like to see is an expansion of its lessons to actual music theory.  Teach people how to read what you might find on sheet or in a book.  Cover counting rhythms out, notes on the fretboard, chords and progressions, modern song structures, etc.  Give people the tools they'd need to understand stuff outside of the framework of the game if they want.  

Along with that, a more modular/customizable set of exercises where you can practice scales/arpeggios/whatever in various keys would be really nice.  They could maybe even combine a few into a sort of personalized etude.  Or even better, build these exercises around songs in the game, sourcing the key, chord progression, some complex rhythms from the song itself.  There's a lot of untapped potential in rocksmith as a teaching tool that I hope they take advantage of in the next version.

• Like 4

I realise that there are seemingly infinite problems to online real-time play, but its the greed of the human race you are talking about.  No single human attribute has ever advanced science so much.

The first pot of gold is prioritised internet service.  Massive companies have been petitioning for years to have certain data prioritised on the internet, I know this because games magazines have reported on it and it looks like the poor old gamer is gonna get shafted.  It's feasible that there will be method of paying for faster, more reliable connections in the near future.

Secondly, you have the general increase in speeds.  How fast is your net?  Imagine the speeds you can get now with a basic cable package 10 years ago?  Download a movie in 3 minutes???  Never!

I realise that the end latency relies on multiple conversions, not just overall speed, but you have increased general bandwidth and faster pcs.

Then the software.  A method of packing up your guitar data, sending it across the globe, then unpacking it.  It's just algorithms that can be developed.  There will be a balance between quality and speed, but it's possible with the right motivation.  I mean, who says 16-bit, 44.1KHZ audio data has to be sent?  You could be sending 8-bit mono data with it being re-built (synthesised) at the other end.

There would also be no return trip for your own audio as it would be monitored through your own rig.  There would need to be a connection so that the two machines speak to each other, but the audio (or however the guitar data is sent - possibly MIDI) would only need to go one way.  Can't mind the word for it, a duplex connection?

Even now, sending something as small as MIDI data between two Core i7 machines (for analysis and synthesis) should make for pretty bearable end latency.

Different people have different latencies tolerances I know, so I guess it would come down to that in the end.

And if a company cracks it, it's not just Rocksmith that they will be making money from.  The market would be endless.  Money, money, money :D

• Like 1

Man online play would really be awesome, but what I really would like to see as a more realistic update would be improvements to the game engine itself, for example:

1-Even more tone slots, specially if you chart customs, there are times when you wish you could go nuts with the tones. Also applies to your custom pedals, having only 3 tones to switch at any time is really limited.

2-Recording ingame, like an option to save the audio from the last 30 seconds or something, because I know I can set up a program like bandicam, but there are times in session mode where you hit a sweet riff, then forget what you played, and become unable to go back to it (Makes you wonder how often it happens to musicians really), and speaking of session mode--

3-More patterns for the AI in session, if you play long enough you learn their patterns, and more often than not lately I've been using backing tracks that provide more variety when playing instead of using the mode ingame.

4- My personal favorite would be to integrate multitracks into the game, kinda like bandfuse does, maybe the hardest one because of the legal side connected to the songs, but hey, a man can dream.

• Like 3