[RANT] Watching CDLC die

then3verend

Question

So I've been on here for a year, and I've made some friends and pissed some people off, its the internet, that kind of thing happens. This post is a rant and nothing more, if you want to discuss this and want a response, be civil please :)

Making a cdlc is a lot of work. Especially creating a truly authentic custom with full DD support, proper tones and tone volume levels, and 100% accurate tabs across all instruments with vocals synced and added(the tutorial vids are ~ 30 minutes just for 60% of that process).

So what really starts to grind my gears is cdlc that has been made before that

A: the creator that shared it once decided to pull it with the intention of never putting back up again because reasons...

or

B: something tragic or sudden that pulls the author off of this site

For people that fall under reason A. You are all murderers of content. You created something, shared it with people, and you killed it for everyone. I understand some people can piss you off, feel disrespected, or have your content get stolen by someone else. However, once you publish that content, if you don't want anything to do with the cdlc, the site its hosted, some asshole pissed you off, or youre just too frustrated with learning. Whatever the reason may be, you still put a lot of time and effort into making that one song. Do you just want to say F*** that and murder it? because seriously, If i could just kill my free time like that, then say F*** that id rather it have been time spent doing nothing. I'd be living in paradise. 

These are some quotes from people I've seen/heard from all around:

"I dont want to share my content SPECIFICALLY with you anymore."

Good, I'm glad the author of the ToolKit or EoF doesn't feel that way, or else you wouldnt be able to make anymore, or update your current ones.

"People keep stealing my own content."

You have the original files right? you know your computer saves the date on that and thats all that you would need to verify that it is your own content.

"People keep ripping on my custom tabs"

Welcome to the internet, people are going to hate it no matter if you're the original artist that wrote the song and you know how its played. Maybe work in a co-op with some people, since a lot of people are creators on this site. who knows? maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

"I'm not getting enough downloads/likes/thanks/support/feedback"

Does it have one download? Good, you made somebody's day better by making this song, you win. They may or may not tell you, but that download says you did.

I'm 100% fully against murdering content thats been shared. If at one time I can download it and tweak it and share it in an open setting, then it shouldn't die. Ever. Period. I see about 10 creators on here today that would be more than happy to restore that song and give your name the full glory and credit as you ride off into the sunset onto your next chapter of your life.

To the people that fall under Reason B:

If you are able to come back or can come back, please dont be pissed if you see your work re-shared. about 95%(oh and by the way the mods can and will delete posts) of the people on here will be more than happy to give you your work back, and hopefully work with you.

It does fall upon us to keep that CDLC alive. I do wish there was a way to archive(I know a couple of them but the selection is limited. all the cdlc(the ,psarc download) ever released, but I believe that would be a massive undertaking that idk if the site itself could handle. I would say there are about 1000 CDLC's(that arent official) that exist that are not on here or are dead. That number should be zero. Thats roughly 500 hours of time that was just wasted. If it takes extra time to revive the cdlc, then revive it.

So I'm taking a stand TODAY against dead CDLC, if I see one that is dead or abandoned, I'm bringing it back and leaving credit if I can. IF you are the original creator, you may have it. I'm tired of watching this and I'm doing something about it.

Sorry for the book, but thanks for reading anyways!

• Like 5

Many nice scores on all songs :)

10 answers to this question

So you are going to post other people's content against their wishes? Let me know how that works out for you

Only if they once made the decision to share the content at one time. I'm not going to break into people's computers and rip cdlc from them.

but by all means, I know I'm going to meet some opposition, and thats okay

• Like 1

I agree with you!

But I think there should be an official mechanism to 'transfer' CLDCs from user to user.

What I mean is the following: After a certain period of time (couple of weeks) of a charter not having come back online, other charters can request mods to have the ownership of a CDLC search database entry transfered to them.

This means they take responsibility for the custom, keep the download link up to date and even fix errors if necessary.

Basically an extension of the existing adoption rules for RS1 DLC.

The advantage would be that no additional search entries have to be created. Personally, I don't like to see various versions of the same song.

Also, whenever the orginal charter comes back online, he can choose to regain responsibility for the custom that was maintained by another user.

I don't know if this rule could be applied to people specifically taking their content down from the site. But I guess the much larger number is the "silent death", where people simply loose interest in CDLCs and do not care anymore.

• Like 6

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

@@Azrael I'm glad someone agrees with me, I was afraid of making more enemies with this post than friends, means a lot.

I would also add that you and the mod should at least HAVE to contact/notify the author via PM(preferably in a group PM) before you take over the custom and explain why, and give him a time period (28 days) to respond and have the mod give a ruling.

I also like the request to adopt idea, maybe even have it as a button after some downtime from the author. Even if the author is active member, if the cdlc hasnt been updated in lets say 28 days, the button appears.

The biggest problem I see with that idea is what to do if multiple members want to adopt the cdlc at the same time.

• Like 1

if the cdlc hasnt been updated in lets say 28 days, the button appears.

What if cdlc is perfect, and does not need any more updates? I can give quite few from my hat right now.

• Like 2

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

I agree, the original charter has to be informed of course, e.g. via e-mail.

About the rest, I see two possibilities:

1) The rule could be published, and then the mods will see how much it is used. People would have to contact mods in order to get the access. If two persons ask about the same time, mod has to make the choise, e.g. based on how many customs were published by the charter, etc.

2) Depending how flexible the new ignition2 is, the record page could have a button "report broken link". After a threshold of e.g. 5 users clicking that link, a new link could appear: "This custom has been reported to have a broken download link. If you still have the file and agree to follow these rules [link], you can apply to adopt this CLDC by clicking here". This way the whole process could be automated (more programming work, but less moderation work).

Using method 1), one could find out if there is enough demand for option 2)

Even if the author is active member, if the cdlc hasnt been updated in lets say 28 days, the button appears.

Maybe I'm not understanding that correctly, but if there are no problems with the cdlc, the button should not appear, in my opinion. :) Edit: ninja'd

• Like 1

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Honestly dunno how the adopt request button would work, I was actually thinking of one of my cdlc's that needs work when I had the idea, maybe the button is a bad idea.

@@Azrael as far as the multiple person situation, why not team them up rather than letting one person get all of the work?

I do however support a rule change allowing adopting cdlc like this, if thats what it takes to keep cdlc alive.

• Administrator

I'm liking this idea. Not promising anything. But I'll talk about it with the other guys. 

Ignition2 will have the option to report broken links. With 5 reports the user will get a notification about it.
https://gistlog.co/Anahkiasen/32482f609519d272933e

• Like 6

Community Admin | Send me a message if you are having trouble with something | Teinashu's Hall of Glory
Steam -

Honestly dunno how the adopt request button would work, I was actually thinking of one of my cdlc's that needs work when I had the idea, maybe the button is a bad idea.

@@Azrael as far as the multiple person situation, why not team them up rather than letting one person get all of the work?

I do however support a rule change allowing adopting cdlc like this, if thats what it takes to keep cdlc alive.

My 2 cents....

If multiple people are working on the same song there may be an issue with pace.  Say two people are done with their sections, what of the 3rd person who is working on a different pace - they're not ready when the first two are.  Could result in some nastygrams going back and forth.

Anyway, I'm not a CDLC creator so I'll probably just let you fine folks work it out.

• Like 1

You're welcome to take mine and make it better.  In fact, anyone is, because I just don't have the time to do what I want with it.

Ok, I know, I haven't created that much in the first place…  :lol:

• Like 2