Cheap way to switch from XBox to PC.

nickd

Question

Hello all,

First time here so I hope I am in the right place.

Absolutely love playing Rocksmith - it's the only thing I play on my XBox. The thing is that I wouls really love to learn some Pink Floyd, or Prince - I mean I really, really want to! Seems to me that it would be much easier to just buy the game for PC and use my cable there.

Obviously, I don't want to shell out all over again for the game, so would buying this, from the 'Bay, work? I have absolutely no idea how to use CDLC but I like to learn as I go along, rather than read up and then get everything I need. So, if I bought that - would i be good to go for using CDLC on my PC?

I'm running Win8 and I have dual monitors, if that makes any difference?

Thanks,

Nick.

22 answers to this question

It looks like a Steam game code, although the seller doesn't make it explicit.  I bought similar when I switched from PS3 to Mac.  The only advice I can give you is to buy from a reputable seller.

I think the Steam summer sale is only around the corner, if you want to wait for that?

Disclaimer:  I know nothing about Win 8, thankfully. :D

Steam summer sale finished 3 or 4 weeks ago... Monster Summer Sale.

Or are there more to come ?

I already bought too much tho [emoji85]

Oh, I don't know.  Sorry.

If the sale's over, game code would be the way to go - especially as the OP already has a cable.

Wow, what a helpful and welcoming bunch you all are.

Thanks very much for all of your advice - I'm off to watch the video and I will probably install Steam later (which is something else I know nothing about). I don't really use my PC for games - the XBOX is for games, but not anymore! Maybe I'll sell it now as I only use it to learn guitar on anyway. If I install Steam on my PC, will it pick up all the songs that I've already bought on the XBOX?

Thanks again,

Nick.

Well the Thing is you can't export and inport Songs from xbox to pc, but if you really want to play those awesome CDLC's that are avaiable and there are so freakin many of them.

My Advice to would be, buy a Game Key for Steam, because they mostly contain the original starter dlc Cheerub Rock.

Simply because 95% of the cdlc in the database use the ID Number of Cheerub Rock (probably).

If you want to buy the Game make sure to buy a Game Key or Code so you can activate the game through Steam.

If you're unsure or don't know stuff about Steam. I'll be really happy to help you out and others for sure too. I almost use Steam 10 years already.. I don't know everything about Steam but if you've got any Questions, (i can't speak for others tho) but i'll help where i can [emoji16] [emoji106]

If you want to try out MMOGA. You'll need 3 accounts tho.

-MMOGA Account for the Game Keys and Purchases

-Paypal, Paysafe or pretty much any digital payment method

-Steam Account to activate, download and install your games

Unfortunately not.  But there are an awful lot of customs on here.

If you're downloading Steam, why don't you try the original version of Rocksmith - the demo is still free? :)

@@DevStereo, are you following me?  :lol:

• Like 1

Before spending the money on switching to PC, you should make sure that your PC meets at least the minimum requirements to run Rocksmith. If you go to the Steam website you can search for Rocksmith 2014 and check the specs. For the best experience you'll need your PC to meet or exceed the recommended requirements instead of just the minimum.

Also, Cherub Rock only came with the pre-order version of Rocksmith 2014. So you'll have to buy that as well as the game to use cDLC.

• Like 1

OK, thank you again, everybody.

I've checked the specs (hey, that rhymes, sort of), and I'm good. Plenty of RAM, CPU, etc. Also, I looked at MMOGA and they're flogging Rocksmith 2014 for £7.04!

I have a PayPal account, so do I just buy the thingy from MMOGA, install Steam, download the game, and that's it?

Defo going to be bugging you guys about Steam, etc as I have no experience with it. Still, I pick up fairly quickly so I shouldn't be too nooby (famous last words there...)

Thanks,

Nick.

@@nickd yeah you have to register for mmoga to buy the game, select paypal as payment method and you'll get a mail from mmoga with the game key in about 1-3 minutes after the payment was successful. Then you install Steam or you did already open up the shop. On the Top you've got all kinds of options like Menu, Settings and stuff, there should be something similar saying "activate a steam game" then you put the Game key in the empty bar click ok and done.

When i get home i can show you exactly how, i'll make some screenshots if you want to.

Thanks, @@DevStereo,

You're really making this too easy you know!

OK, don't go putting yourself to too much work on my behalf - let me go and fiddle around a bit and I will see if I can get it all sorted. Will report back here and let you know.

Thanks again!

Nick.

OK, so Steam is installed, I bought the key for £7.00 (delighted), and I'm just downloading the game now. looks like it comes with the Smashing Pumpkins track too, (see the pic).

http://eppc001.ddns.net/img/steam.PNG

All looking yummy!

Nick.

@@DevStereo, everything is just groovy apart from the fact that the game thinks that I've unplugged my realtone cable.

PLEASE DON'T LET IT FAIL NOW :O

Any ideas? Reboot, I suppose.

@@DevStereo, everything is just groovy apart from the fact that the game thinks that I've unplugged my realtone cable.

PLEASE DON'T LET IT FAIL NOW :o

Any ideas? Reboot, I suppose.

Restart your computer, and then try using a different usb port.  Also, make sure the cable is plugged into the guitar before starting the game.

@@Wepeel, thank you - that has helped. There was no need to change the port but the reboot did the trick.

Now, I am getting lag but I'm working through the pdf in the Rocksmith root directory to try and solve the issue.

Cheers,

Nick.

Well now, this has got to be just about the finest thing ever! Pink Floyd, ACDC, just tons of stuff that I've always wanted to know how to play. I can't thank you guys enough!

Only problem is that I still have the lag. It says that Win8 isn't oficially supported, so maybe that's it. If any of you guys have tips for Win8 then I would be delighted to hear from you. Else I could maybe dual boot Linux - does Steam run on that?

Take care all you lovely people and thank you again! This might just take over my life :D

Nick.

@@nickd well i use win7 64bit, so i don't have that kind of issue. It runs smoothly, well probably because my pc is a beast [emoji39] .

Mayve you could open up a new thread at help & support, i'm sure there are other members which had or still have the same issue tho.

Anyways, i hope you'll get that somehow fixed

@@DevStereo, OK, thanks for that - I'll go and post something there to see if anybody has any ideas. Win7 is 'officially' supported, but maybe it's more because of your beast of a machine :D

If the worse comes to the worse, I'll downgrade to 7 - this is worth it!

Thanks again for all of your help.

Nick.