Looking for bassist to request a playthrough!

Gauzra

A few weeks ago I charted a song from Dir en Grey that has a pretty cool bass solo. I suck tremendously at bass and am kind of interested in seeing someone upload a playthrough of them playing the solo. :D

The solo is at about 5:10 - can't really hear it very well in that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl58soY73SE

In that one its at 5:00

Thanks!

• Like 1

I stream regularly! Check it out on twitch.tv/gauzra

Currently doing music/writing work for @eggdev - Check them out, though their content is NSFW at times.

I have a video uploading now, but I just realized you probably want both the game and footage of me. I don't know how to do video editing really, so I'm not really sure how to do both (or even for that matter whether I can do both with Bandicam and my webcam, though I guess I probably can). If you have any suggestions for what software I need and tutorials on how to do that, they would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, here's the Rocksmith-only footage.

Also, I noticed a few ways to improve your custom (and future customs. The first two don't even require much effort. Also, if you'd prefer this in PM, let me know and I can edit the following out):

1. Unpitched slides. Fixing this should be pretty quick once you get the hang of it. Currently they are all slides down by 1 fret, but some of them should be over a greater distance, and some of them should be going up. You can modify unpitched slides by selecting the note with the slide, getting rid of any slides that might be there already, then pressing Ctrl+U, then setting the end fret.

Also if it's a sustain into an unpitched slide (I don't think there's anything like that here, at least in the bass part, but there might be other places you run into that need them) you can do that by setting one note for where the sustain starts, another for where the slide starts, setting the slide paramaters, and doing a linknext for the first (sustained) note.

2. RR sections. This should be really quick. There don't necessarily need to be a ton in this song, but as it's a long song there should probably at least be one every minute so that you can skip to certain parts of the song quickly to practice them. The solos probably also deserve their own (or even multiple) sections.

If I were charting this myself I might have three sections for the bass solo (which can probably be bass only sections if you want to take the extra time to do that): one for the first part before it drops down, one for while it's dropped down the first time, and then the rest of the solo. This would make it much easier to practice that part (and give you a better video as a result!), because as it is it's really tedious to try to play through it a few times (and even more so if you want to slow it down to really get the pattern).

3. Grid locking of notes. Fixing this would take a lot of time and might not be worth it here so long as you don't have to make major changes to the tab. It looked like for a good portion of the song (up to about 3:30 into the song, right near that spoken word verse) the notes were grid locked, but after that they started to drift off of the beat markers. While a lot of people do this, I don't really like it since it makes it somewhat less clear what the relation is between the beats of the song and note duration and timing. I also like to do a lot of my edits to the GP files, and if you need to reimport it means all the notes will relock to the grid and then be off of the timing that you had.

So I always sync by moving the beat markers (being careful not to drop into the "note highway" region of EoF, as this moves the notes and not the beat markers) onto the beats (now I almost always use Spectrogram view to do this. See this post for details on how to use it. Let me know if you have any questions about it!).

Also, here's a bonus screenshot from the song I released a few hours ago:

http://i.imgur.com/f7UJsL9.png

It's a noisier (and thus somewhat harder to sync, at least if the tempo varied at all) song than the one I used in my example above, but you can still see clear signatures of drumbeats. From the last beat in measure 43 to measure 44, you can see the drum kicking out 16th notes (the thin dark red splotches evenly spaced between the two beat markers), and in measure 44 there are two bass drum kicks spaced at dotted eights from the start of the measure (so 3/4 of the way between the start of measure 44 and the first beat marker, and half way between that and the next one), then starts doing 16th notes again for a bit. If you get practice with the spectrogram you can learn to identify drumbeats pretty easily  :D. Also, vocals look pretty dope too (the lines under the note in the 44th measure that dive after the first beat).

• Like 1

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Nice! I did figure out how to do the unpinched slides in a later tab I did. It was actually right after this one, haven't had a chance to go back and fix it here. Same with gridlocking. I really need to get out of the habit of not using the Rocksmith phrases though. Thanks for the tips and the playthrough!

I stream regularly! Check it out on twitch.tv/gauzra

Currently doing music/writing work for @eggdev - Check them out, though their content is NSFW at times.

For riff repeater sections you don't really need to worry about mucking around with phrases (beyond just checking the box for adding a phrase for each section) unless you want to have dynamic difficulty that acts like the official songs. It's mostly just listening through to the song, and whenever you hit a transition (verse to chorus or whatever) or an especially tricky part, right click on the beat marker that begins that section, then Shift+S and select the appropriate tag.

And I'm glad you're picking things up on your own! It's not always easy getting feedback, though, and sometimes pretty hard to learn new things. If you ever have any questions about how to do something, I'll try my best to answer (but don't ask me about tones)! The more people we have doing interesting songs well, the better!

• Like 1

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

• 2 months later...

Are you still interested in someone trying this?

"and i'll keep practicing so hopefully we can all get famous and not having to worry about this stuff xD" - Me

"that's my ultimate goal, as crazy as it sounds" - Friend

Shameless Self Promotion: I do Rocksmith Bass videos (and other things) on my Youtube Channel, Please check it out and feel free to ask me to do a bass video for you! www.youtube.com/strikepv

Are you still interested in someone trying this?

Sure!

I'll try it myself, it'll be the greatest of epic fails :D

• Like 2

"and i'll keep practicing so hopefully we can all get famous and not having to worry about this stuff xD" - Me

"that's my ultimate goal, as crazy as it sounds" - Friend

Shameless Self Promotion: I do Rocksmith Bass videos (and other things) on my Youtube Channel, Please check it out and feel free to ask me to do a bass video for you! www.youtube.com/strikepv