Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 90

Now for the Death Angel review:

Difficulty of 8 seems pretty fair. The verses have one part that took a little while for me to get down, the chorus has that one part that's really tricky between the string switching and fretting pattern, and the other main riffs aren't trivial. I wouldn't call it a true masterclass song, but probably finds it's home in the advanced ratings.

Tab: I think the tab seemed fine for the most part. There's one part in the chorus (at the end of the trickiest part, under the now of "Don't save me now") where I get a little confused despite RRing it and the fact that the tail part of that riff isn't that hard - not sure if it's actually something wrong or just something with a weird feel. Speaking of RR, this song could use more sections for the verse and chorus, which I'd say are the trickiest parts of the song. I'd probably divide each into two pieces the first time we see them (as each has variations), then after that the current style of sectioning where they're both put together in one section would be OK as they're the same each time through. Lastly, I might move some things to a different string, particularly in the repeating 777-555-101010-888 motif (also there, I'd probably change the slide out to go down to around fret 2 or something, rather than the single fret slide it is now), and the similar part under the solo, to reduce hand shifting. My biggest quibble is the RR sectioning, so I'd give this an 8.

Sync: Thought that the notes might slightly be lagging what I was hearing when I did spot checks, but even when I slowed RR to as slow as it can go I didn't really notice that gap getting any bigger. The timing things in score attack also seemed fair. 9 at the worst, but probably 10.

Tone: Again, I have a bit of a hard time isolating the bass tone in this track in my head. This is a nice sounding tone, but I'm not sure it sounds heavy enough to fit the music, and might sound a little too loud at the higher notes, so a bit of EQing might be in order. Maybe a 7, but it's a bit hard to judge for many metal songs beyond "that sounds metal".

And now, the screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/9Pnz2Kc.jpgPart of the reason I don't believe it deserves a true MC difficulty rating  :P

Though being perfectly honest I should have gotten a miss in the last chorus.

• Like 5

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

I haven't spent much time on Jethro Tull yet, and I won't for a few days.  After once through RR at 80% speed, I tried full speed and got just over 80% http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=480426822

• Like 3

"Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried in my own way to be free" Leonard Cohen - RIP

Peek inside 2groggy's basement FreeBird Laboratory (not for the faint of heart)

Tobias Bass VI      SG shaped Bass VI     Hollow Acoustic Thunderbird 5     Hollow Archtop Bass VI

Harlequin Hollow Archtop Bass     Hollow Toby Bass VI     Starcaster Bass     A trio of hollow archtops (new)

Wow, my song got selected! And on my birthday, too!

Gonna give my all this week! :D

Edit: The version of Asylum of Glass that is currently on customsforge is a simplified version of the song. The riffs starting at 3:59 are made a lot easier by ignoring the notes on the E and A strings. Buckethead uses chicken picking to include those notes as well which complicates things some as the stretches are a bit stretchier and the picking a lot harder.

You can see what I'm talking about here at the 4 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYxBB8D8oWw&feature=youtu.be&t=4m

The chords at 0:40 to 1:18 are also incomplete. They are all missing notes on the G string.

• Like 2

Missed the slide and a random note

http://s17.postimg.org/uj7bugez3/2015_07_12_00002.jpg

I think I gave this a 6 on the diff when I first rated it. Yeah it has those tricky sections in the chorus and that one slide from 2-17 but wheres the rest of the difficulty in this song?

Tone: listening with headphones the tone sounds great, fits with the song well, although different devices will produce different sounds 9/10

Sync: the two notes I missed were my error, not because of the sync, I dont have to worry about it either so... 10/10

Tab: my bass ears suck, but I dont think I heard anything wrong, if I did it was in the verse with the fills. 9/10

EDIT: my first difficulty review was on v1 of this, the counter reset on bass, im at ~5 runs on this

• Like 3

Many nice scores on all songs :)

I got my second bass working again so I can leave one in standard tuning and the other in drop tuning. (yes, I'm that lazy)

So here's All That She Wants after a slow RR pass and a couple of runs through = 98%  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=480443879

• Like 4

"Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried in my own way to be free" Leonard Cohen - RIP

Peek inside 2groggy's basement FreeBird Laboratory (not for the faint of heart)

Tobias Bass VI      SG shaped Bass VI     Hollow Acoustic Thunderbird 5     Hollow Archtop Bass VI

Harlequin Hollow Archtop Bass     Hollow Toby Bass VI     Starcaster Bass     A trio of hollow archtops (new)

Buckethead: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=480460755

Knorkator: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=480460691

I had every intention of playing Tull but bucket head took over, I love that tune :) good fun to play ... found it easier than "all that she wants" tbh... mostly because I am used to the original version and this version of thesong just isn't as happy sounding as the original :(

• Like 5

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

I think I gave this a 6 on the diff when I first rated it. Yeah it has those tricky sections in the chorus and that one slide from 2-17 but wheres the rest of the difficulty in this song?

I think part of my difficulty rating was due to the fact that, as is, it's kind of annoying to practice that part in the chorus using RR. If that gets changed... I'd probably need to put some serious thought into whether this is harder than the Tull or not.

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

I am used to the original version and this version of thesong just isn't as happy sounding as the original :(

and that's great  :P I hate the original

@@albatross213 @@then3verend @all, thanks for ratings.

Can you also fill in your ratings here if you do some? this would make things easier :)

On the SSL you also will find a link

• Like 1
 YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

Can you also fill in your ratings here if you do some? this would make things easier :)

Woah, woah, woah. I'm cool with writing long paragraphs that few people will ever read in full, but entering numbers into a spreadsheet?! That's just asking way too much!

But if people kindly download either Sigh - Corpsecry or Ozric Tentacles - Erpland (bass only) a few times I might be more amenable to entering numbers in spreadsheets :D. I know Corpsecry won't be for everyone because of the vocals, but it should be really fun to play on all paths (lead guitar should be especially good), and if you play bass and don't like Erpland (beyond the difficulty, potentially) I just... don't understand you. While these songs are from bands without established fanbases on here, I feel like they haven't gotten half of the downloads they deserve, so I'd really appreciate it if some of you could check them out.

• Like 4

i've decided to take a half hour break from all the studying xD

1st run on bass advanced, coooool song

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ahh0mt.png

i've tried the lead for the mc song but the result was so horrible i will not post it. I will have time to practice it only after the exam on thursday; it's not extremely hard, i just need time to slow-read it and understand it, cause all at once was too much too fast

oh i've also tried the lead for the JT and it was cool (bass is cooler imho)

http://i58.tinypic.com/2ik34ep.png

also tried the bass for the death angel song

http://i58.tinypic.com/2confie.png

so these are my only scores for now, i hope i'll post more after thursday :D

• Like 6

Woah, woah, woah. I'm cool with writing long paragraphs that few people will ever read in full, but entering numbers into a spreadsheet?! That's just asking way too much!

But if people kindly download either Sigh - Corpsecry or Ozric Tentacles - Erpland (bass only) a few times I might be more amenable to entering numbers in spreadsheets :D. I know Corpsecry won't be for everyone because of the vocals, but it should be really fun to play on all paths (lead guitar should be especially good), and if you play bass and don't like Erpland (beyond the difficulty, potentially) I just... don't understand you. While these songs are from bands without established fanbases on here, I feel like they haven't gotten half of the downloads they deserve, so I'd really appreciate it if some of you could check them out.

totally unnecessary to point out - still:

Be sure to add bands / songs you wanna spread the word about to song selection list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Songs chosen in the CS get quite some downloads :)

• Like 5

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

-= weekly leaderboard update =-

leader changes:

@@lordlk - RhyAdv

@@then3verend - RhyMc

@@genobadass - AdvBass

on fire:

@ - insane 90pts (8 wins, 2 second places in 10) LeadAdv - leaving one heavy bag before escaping to FreeBird with a boooom!

@@then3verend - BassMc - another 90 after 4 wins in a row (!)

CONGRATULATIONS

what is our most popular class these days? - now thats great to see: its BEG LEAD with 15 scorers!!

player count: 125 (122) - wow!

players falling off the boards for not scoring in 10 weeks:

@@Shiroo @ @@Geist

come back, rock hard!!!!

http://i57.tinypic.com/307m495.jpg

Have a great week!!!!!!!!!

Thx @ in first place, and @@albatross213 @@then3verend and all of you contributing quality ratings for pushing that. I think that is a very important thing for the whole CF commuity!!

P.S:

its a damn pity that @ designed the freebird award so godforbid beautiful ... :) some might consider changing just because they also would want that shiny piece around the neck...

(if you don´t have a real reason) DON´T!!! - Try to kick your classmates ends until they push you to the next level :)

• Like 4

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-

totally unnecessary to point out - still:

Be sure to add bands / songs you wanna spread the word about to song selection list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Songs chosen in the CS get quite some downloads :)

@@albatross213 I agree with Rodman here, makes more sense to fill just your ratings into the sheet than spamming around.

Many of my customs are also from unknown bands with just a few downloads, but if you just add them to the SSL one day they gonna be chosen, getting discussed and getting downloads.

AND I think I also will chose the freebird thing not to be bound always to MC. I have the feeling of wasting too much time with practicing unlikely songs. This week we have that Slayer-clone i.e. which I already spent any hours of practice, but this kind of music I liked about 30 years ago, today it bores me  :P​

YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

@ - oh - a great loss for the MC competitions!!!!!!

though, doesn´t have to be forever

Thanks for the suggestions (and a few downloads I noticed), @@Rodman, @, and @! I don't really want to self-promote too much using the SSL (though if you guys want to select any of my songs that you like that would be awesome!), but I'll probably try to keep a song or two of my own in the list (I'd already added Erpland to the bass-only list in case we have another situation like last week, or anyone wants to link a guitar only and a bass only song together [if that's allowed?]). It's definitely the best way to get regular feedback, and hopefully get things a bit more visibility in the process (both through downloads and through new versions putting them back on the front page).

That also gets me thinking about how to get these things more visibility in general. I hope that over the long term I'll get a reputation for doing a good job (except probably with tones, especially for guitar), caring about fixing things and getting things right (eventually), and choosing interesting songs. But that will take a while to build, especially if I mostly stick to doing songs from new (to the Forge) or more obscure bands, in which case it will apparently be reaching 30-80 people for most songs (even for the Symphony X songs that I've done, most of the ones that have over 100 downloads are because of updates and not because 100 or more unique people downloaded them. The only ones that I'm sure have more than 100 people downloading each are the Deep Purple, Rush, and Yes).

So in the short term I might turn to doing some classic rock type stuff (there are definitely gaps in the "cannon" that I'm noticing now) to get more visibility and hopefully get a bigger "fanbase" going. That and resyncing some of my older songs, as I wouldn't be surprised if I'd screwed up in some places on the Symphony X or Deep Purple songs (and a quick look through shows that some of them definitely need retouching).

Lastly, @, I'm not sure what DHM and FPB stand for. Could you let me know what they mean?

• Like 2

@@Rodman Had tons of shit of school. But I have some time now ;) Maybe it's time for comeback :P

• Like 5

| The MUSE Project | BABYMETAL DiscographyMY Customs | Rocksmith for 15£ 

"Please, always leave feedback, it helps me to create better customs !

Don't forget to write down your comment and push the thanks button !" 

... or anyone wants to link a guitar only and a bass only song together [if that's allowed?])....

Yes, that is allowed, and has been done before ;)

For all the other things in your post:

Keep that bands you like coming to the CS!!! And thx for your work!

The "problem" is that the vast majority uses the search for bands they know and wanna play, not to discover quality customs of unknown bands, but as said before - you are at the right place to spread the word!

@@Rodman Had tons of shit of school. But I have some time now ;) Maybe it's time for comeback :P

Maybe ;)

You didn´t even tell us how muse and babymetal did perform @@Rock in Vienna!!!!