albatross213's proving grounds

albatross213

The Riverside and Ozric Tentacles songs have been published, so all that's left for now is Atheist - Mother Man, a technical monster, on bass. I'll be working on getting that ready for guitar, as well as a few other songs, but I wouldn't expect much else to show up here for at least a few days (say, July 15th at the earliest). Peace!

Atheist - Mother Man (technical death metal, LRB) Played through, so you can see what it's like without having to experience it yourself. Sync might still be a bit off in places, as this is by far the hardest song I've tried to sync. I'm not sure if any other songs uploaded thus far have two-handed chord tapping (and if they do, certainly not on bass!), so figuring out what to do with that was a little complicated. The bass part is definitely not quite right (missing a couple of measures at one point, and the real tapping section is more complicated than what's tabbed), but I think it's pretty close to release ready.

Rush - The Anarchist (B only, not terribly difficult except for the pre-verse fills). There's also a GP tab if you want to do corrections (or add the guitar tab). Here's a video of me playing it. There will probably be changes to the tab so I haven't done touch-ups to sustains and slides and that kind of thing. That said, there are a few things that I definitely need help with.

-It sounds like there's a little fill before some of the choruses, but I'm not sure exactly what it is.

-There's also a section during the solo (specifically 5:22-5:30) where the bass tab said to repeat the stuff on the A string 4 times, but it doesn't fit into the measures and I'm also not sure it sounds right. -----Lastly, while I used the bass tone from Headlong Flight, it doesn't sound nearly meaty enough for this song from the same album. Does anyone have suggestions for tones?

Opeth - Deliverance (LRB) .psarc and .GP used.I hadn't made all the changes in the .GP before making the .psarc (most notably in the "Walk with me / You'll never leave..." verses), but otherwise I think this one might be pretty close. Tones taken from @@bernixix's Bleak, which are good tones and on the previous album, so hopefully they work pretty well. Might want to tweak some sustains and such in the outro, but otherwise I think things look pretty good on bass.

Graveyard songs - Not sure this really fits in here, but I'm working on a few songs of theirs, and while the guitar parts seem pretty good, the bass is... pretty terrible. I'm looking for someone with a better ear than me to help finish up the GP edits for the bass parts on them.

Buying Truth (Tack and Forlat) - Once I fixed the rhythm of the verse riff (seriously), this one seemed pretty good. Main things that seemed wrong are various fills in measures 23-26 and 53-56 that I left blank for the moment.

No Good, Mr. Holden - Measure 2 sounds like it has something extra near/in between the 8s. Fills in measure 6 and related measures (right after the "quarter note") are missing. I also think these measures have more repeated notes in the tab than are actually played. I can probably figure these out myself given time. The high parts in measures 17-18 and related measures are wrong. Some later parts have different "fills" there, and those seem better.

Ain't Fit to Live Here - I wish I could say I was confident about any part of this tab. I've changed the verse to match the guitar parts, but I'm not entirely sure about it (it sounds a bit high, maybe? But probably not an octave). Started to change the choruses over, but wasn't really sure it fit. Not really sure about the part between the no-guitar bit and the last verse either. I guess I lied earlier - I am confident about the no-guitar bit.

How do all of these tabs have 5 star ratings from numerous voters?

Thanks for taking the time to check these out and giving me your feedback!

Edited by albatross213
  • Like 2

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Erpland has now been updated to a more finalized version, and I also have now got the bass part for Atheist - Mother Man pretty much done, so that's up there to. It's technical death metal and not for the faint of heart. Also resorted things in rough order of difficulty.

Hi Bud, 

While I have not ever heard these songs or these bands before I really enjoyed playing them. Having said that here is the review, and by the way, easy to see the prog influence on the Bass in the Riverside tunes, very Squire-Esq on a lot of them  :) 

Riverside - Celebrity Touch (LB) Awesome Chart, and I love that you added the Hammer ons, it really makes this song perk up. Nothing I found here other than a kick ass song that is a blast to play! 

Riverside - Rainbow Box (LB) Slides are fine, and fun to play. I honestly could not find to much wrong with the charting. 

Riverside - New Generation Slave (LB) This was a friggen juggernaut to play!! Enjoyed the hell out of it even if my fingers are raw LMAO Well done!! 

Ozric Tentacles - Erpland (B, D std tuning) I would agree this one is ready to go as far as I can tell.. 

Please keep in mind, I am not an owner of any of these songs, and from the perspective of a first time listener and player, I think its awesome. A hard core rabid fan who listens to these guys daily may have other thoughts. But from my humble position you did a great job!! 

Jerry

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, @@jbroch, and I'm glad you enjoyed playing them! Riverside's been one of my favorite bands since I found out about them around the release of ADHD. And they just released a song from their upcoming album (which I'm listening to right now), so it's an exciting time!

And yeah, their last album definitely had a pretty retro feel, and there's definitely some Squire influence. Cool that you noticed!

I hope when I release them they're well received on here!

Thanks again for the feedback, and keep on rocking!

Edit: I also mentioned this in the favorite artists thread, but the bassist /vocalist of Riverside also has a side project, Lunatic Soul. I definitely recommend checking out the most recent album (esp. Cold, Gutter, Treehouse, and the finale) in addition to other Riverside (for which I'd probably start with The Same River)

Edited by albatross213
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updated for some things I'm working on now.

Still looking for eyes/ears on The Anarchist (@@Aludog or @@bernixix?). Need to finish off a few small pieces of GP tab, then find a tone that fits better than the Headlong Flight one.

For Deliverance I'm feeling pretty confident about things, but if any guitarists (@@cdeath?) could check the tones out that would be great (especially since there was one section on lead I think where I was pretty lazy with regards to tone switches). Also, I'll probably make arpeggios for the guitars in the soft verses for the release version.

For the Graveyard songs I'm mostly looking for people who can transcribe reasonably small or repetitive parts of the basslines in the GP files so that I can finish these songs off. I know @@bernixix has done some of their songs before, but if anyone else is interested in checking them out that would be cool. If it would help I could make .psarcs and then playthrough videos of what I have to date (like for the Anarchist).

Atheist - Mother Man should be close to release, but if anyone wants to check it out, that would be cool.

Thanks!

I can take a look at the bass parts in the Graveyard songs when I find the time but it could be a while before I can even start on that. I'm really swamped atm.

Yeah, you've definitely got a lot on your plate. Buying Truth should be pretty quick, but the others will probably take more work.

In related news, I did find this video of them playing Ain't Fit to Live Here live that actually shows the bassist! So I should be able to figure out that song, even if I have to slow the video way down to do it! (This was pretty much my method when I was figuring out the bass tab for The Motherload by Mastodon. Yay bassists who sing so they actually have some video footage!)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, there's lots of other stuff that I've been working on recently. I've updated my workshop but not my posts over here, so the easiest thing to do is just point you over there. My birthday's coming up in a few days, and I want to make it a special one for fans of progressive metal (and some rock)!