Skins in RS

Laro

I've been modifying the textures of the game, mostly for boring and make it more visual friendly for me. Creating custom guitars and custom lofts:

Loft: http://imgur.com/a/sdT8M

Guitar: http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/708528119653520712/111DEAEDB0AAEEA7533703664D75096FFCAB25B0/

Recently I made another custom texture in the chord pans. The idea is too make more different the fret hand mute chord and the palm mute chord, so I change the fret hand mute chord pan writing in a F (of fret): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=474442621

Not sure if anyone have that problem too or have already change textures. Just though about open a thread to share what I've done and if anyone is interested I can share it.

• Like 15

Well I can sure test it, and if could tell how to edit textures would be awesome, lets hope that the moderators will see this

I sent you a PM with the loft and the fret hand mute skin.

If anyone else is interested send me a PM. I'm not going to post it publicly for no since there are some original RS material and I don't know what the staff would think about it.

I'll make a more advanced tutorial in the next few days, but is quite simple, just unpack, modify the texture and pack again.

A simple try is modify the posters:

1. You take loft01.psarc in rocksmith\venues and unpack it with RS Toolkit

2. Go to where ever you unpacked it to \loft01_Pc\assets\generic\env\the_loft and look for loft_posters.dds and change the posters.

3. Pack it again and place it back in rocksmith\venues

I changed this:

http://i.imgur.com/kllJBLR.png

For this:

http://i.imgur.com/hFuurOj.png

This are the easiest skins since you use only diffuse maps, and not normal and specular.

• Like 3

@@Laro your textures look awesome. Looks so much better.

I don't know what the other members would think of it, but i think that's a nice change. Instead of that old white boring background. I would love to see more, kinda interesting to see how far you could go with the textures [emoji16] [emoji106]

@@DevStereo Thanks. Probably the next thing will be a Pink Floyd themed loft, With bricks wall, pink floyd posters and name in the couch and logo on the arcade wall. There can be moidified animation, lights and  filters too, like the arcade machine and the transition to the stage when you start the song, but I didn't try yet.

@@Frack I tried the CGT before, but I couldn't find the way to modify venues or the depency_songcomponentes.psarc

If the nif files could me modified there would be a lot more of possibilites to mod, but niftools can't open the version of RS nifs (30.1.0.3) so we can only modify textures.

• Like 1

"@Frack I tried the CGT before, but I couldn't find the way to modify venues or the depency_songcomponentes.psarc"

I've modify the venues before the CGT, i've not mofified the venues since then.

loft_posters

loft_woodfloor_b

loft_couch_green

walls etc..

"If the nif files could me modified there would be a lot more of possibilites to mod, but niftools can't open the version of RS nifs (30.1.0.3) so we can only modify textures."

Yes Baoulettes already tried during the customs inlays creation, trying to change 3D stuffs like headstock etc...

During my investigations i've found a reference to a hiden/aborted? guitarcade Baseball Game...

@@SA_JK I had the same problem with amp textures, failed to re-pack. I think it's because it's too heavy and RS Toolkit can't handle it.

Thanks about the Noesis, didn't know about it. I tried and it can read and export to another 3D program to edit it. I think the problem is to import it again in nif so RS can read it. I'll try to use Nifskope for this, but I not sure if it will work since Nifskope doesn't work with the nif version RS use.

If it works it could be great. We could create a custom mod for the drum project and a lot more.

Really nice. I like what you did with the window. I have problems with that becuase they use the texture in a repetitive way, so It's not easy to find a picture that works well, specially when the window in Store part of the loft it's the same but they use with different coordinates. Did you made transparent the light ray of the windows too?

I've been trying Noesis to export the nif files. I opened the headstock in Noesis, export to .3ds and opened in 3Ds Max to modify it, then export back to .3ds and opened in NifSkope to save it as .nif. The problem is that there are a lot of information that in this process is lost, since the nif is not just a 3D object and have several information in the header, so it doesn't work. I'll look more into it, there are a lot of tutorial about modifiying nif for skyrim and fallout that I want to try before surrender.

Yeah it's really hard to make the window texture actually looks good in-game,

here's the one i've made:

http://i.imgur.com/cOez8Rnl.jpg

Painted black the "light_rays" texture and erased the white part in "floor_glow" texture.

Nif files are really hard to manage (at least for me when I tried to mod fallout 3),

but, are the noesis and nifskope nif formats the same? maybe that's the problem.

About nif, no idea. I tried becuase I was bored, but I already though it wouldn't be that easy :lol: I can open the modified headstock in NifSkope and save it again as nif overwriting the original nif, but as I said there are a lot of information that I don't have I don't know where to get it.

I don't think it's the case for this file only but at the very beginning of theme creation,

The Dummy File was Necessary (a .txt file renamed/extension changed as):
appid.appid

included before repacking.

Without this previous themes doesn't worked.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologice for not posting the tutorial. I work at hotel and summer is busy work.

I think if it's better if we don't share the .psarc file, but we can make .rar of the modified textures and share that. That way you only have to unpack, replace and pack and it's safe for the community in terms of copyright issues since we won't be sharing any rocksmith file.

Nice amps skins, but I had the same problem when I tried this. I think that programs can't handle so much data too. Maybe the solution is make something similar to inlay's skins and make individual .psarc for each skin. Since inlays and amp skins are unlockable, it should be similar, maybe @@cozy1 knows how to do it.

A simple try is modify the posters:

1. You take loft01.psarc in rocksmith\venues and unpack it with RS Toolkit

2. Go to where ever you unpacked it to \loft01_Pc\assets\generic\env\the_loft and look for loft_posters.dds and change the posters.

3. Pack it again and place it back in rocksmith\venues

Worked brilliantly. Hardest part was figuring out how to resize image layers in GIMP, haha.

http://i.imgur.com/pkO0SdP.jpg

If there are any other assets that are easy to modify, I'd love to hear about them!

Thanks for the guide!

I've tried & successfully change one alternative skin for the at20_dm_c amp to test
I've used the CGT 1.5.4, browse to the desired skin, inject it & repack without any Problems.

http://s23.postimg.org/nywvhl00n/at20_dm_c.jpg
http://s27.postimg.org/snziiigkj/Rocksmith2014_2015_08_04_13_18_05_759.jpg

1- Make a backup of  the original gears.psarc

2- copy gears.psarc on  desktop, launch CGT from desktop

3- go to CGT Image injector tab

4- Browse to the desired skin name with CGT:
archives: gears        Archived Images: at20_dm_c

5- copy /paste temp .png file to dektop for editing from:
C:\Users\Frack*\AppData\Local\Temp\CGT\cii_gears

Temp Amps skins folder:
C:\Users\Frack*\AppData\Local\Temp\CGT\cii_gears\gears_Pc\assets\generic\prop\amp

6- inject your new skin with CGT

7- Repack

8- replace the gears.psarc by Your new one in RS2014 folder.

9- launch RS

10- go edit your tone in RS

11- select your amp type (at20) & skin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll retry later with latest CGT Rev 1.7.0.

Menu Selection Preview (i've not tried to modify it yet or to access it with CGT):
C:\Users\Frack*\AppData\Local\Temp\CGT\cii_gears\gears_Pc\gfxassets\tone_designer\amp

*your windows computer user's name

• Like 2