Sustained notes stretch to the next note and won't shorten

Billkwando

Question

I'm having an issue with my one of my CDLCs:

http://customsforge.com/topic/20054-sign-o-the-times-live-mtv-vmas-1987/?hl=prince

There is a burst of notes at the beginning and then some chords, and the last chord in the sequence is sustained, then slides up the neck to another chord (via linknext), and then the chord changes to a single sustained note (also via linknext, and the rest of the notes are released) and then it's supposed to go to a downward unpitched slide (also via linknext), so that's like 3 or so links.

In the chart, the final slide isn't shown, but it's definitely in EOF. I tried deleting it and re-placing the note, but that caused the single sustained note to stretch to the next note in the chart, and won't shorten with the mouse wheel. I tried deleting the slide AND the long sustained note, and then the linked chord stretched on until the next note and wouldn't shorten. I closed out without saving any changes after that!

Any idea what's going on here? I can't figure out what caused this mess. The song's basically done, so I hope it's fixable.

Thanks!

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

12 answers to this question

By design, the linked note status forces a note/chord to extend up to the next note/chord. I can't think of any circumstance where this shouldn't be the case.

That's not the real problem. The problem is that the slide that it links to is not appearing in-game. I only discovered the "going on forever" thing after removing the slide. Now that you mention it, it would need to extend to the next note (I'd just never had the need to remove the next note after a linknext, so I didn't realize that's what it would do), but that doesn't solve the mystery of the missing slide. Any ideas?

Are there a limit to the number of notes you can link or anything? I just can't think of what they sustain just abruptly cuts off there. No trail off, and no unpitched slide.

If it helps make sense of it, there is a tone change placed directly on that note.

- Billkwando

A screen capture of that part of the EOF project or the EOF project itself (and details of where the issue is) would help me see what's going on.

Hey here it is. It's between the 12th & 13th measure:

http://i.imgur.com/msF5EjH.jpg

Here's the project file:

- Billkwando

The fact that the last note have two different type of slides might be part of the issue at first sight.

I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that you had to add a regular pitched slide before you add an unpitched slide. I've done that on every single unpitched slide I've done, as far as I can recall, and never had a problem.

If you don't need both, then great, but I doubt that's the solution. Still, I'd be happy if it was. I wouldn't be able to test it until this evening.

- Billkwando

• Administrator

you don't need both status, that's for sure and the fact that the chord have the link next status might also be part of the issue as it might leads to some unexpected behavior because of the other note in the chord without any following it.

I also know that DDC can sometimes make some linked note dissapear depending on the phrases placement.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I'd have to check, but I don't think EOF will export both slides at the same time so it may not work the way you'd expect. So it's probably best to only have one slide type in use at a time. I think it may also work better if the linked notes had gems on the other strings to make them chords. You could then use a tech note on the D string to ensure that's the only note in the chord that has vibrato if you want.

• Like 1

I'd have to check, but I don't think EOF will export both slides at the same time so it may not work the way you'd expect. So it's probably best to only have one slide type in use at a time. I think it may also work better if the linked notes had gems on the other strings to make them chords. You could then use a tech note on the D string to ensure that's the only note in the chord that has vibrato if you want.

So are you saying I may have to mark the whole chord as being sustained, even though only one note actually is?

- Billkwando

If you want to author it that way, you may want to try using a tech note on that D string note so that's the only one linked to the notes that follow it. Linking a chord to single notes may not work right.

I think I understand now. So I would take the last linked chord that's already in the chart, and put a tech note under the regular note, and then link to the sustain of the tech note rather than the regular chord? So it would still just be a single sustained note, preserving the integrity of the chart?

Edit: What's weird is the sustained note links to the chord and works perfectly now. It's just that final slide that's the problem. It'll be funny if it still doesn't work, but we'll see tonight when I try it (assuming I understood you correctly).

Thanks! :D

- Billkwando