Database Restore.

• Administrator

Hey all,

Unfortunately during development today we ran into an issue that caused us to restore to a backup from 12 PM EST.

All posts and replies are gone after that time and will need to be recreated. I apologize and we're working on steps for this to never happen again.

Thank you for understanding. 

• Like 6

"Just remember: when something breaks, kick it as hard as you fucking can"

-Trent Reznor
Support Me (Via Patreon)

I'm a DBA, but I mostly specialize in MS SQL and Oracle.

I'm guessing this site is running MySQL since MS SQL and Oracle licenses are expensive. Especially Oracle.

Anyway,

Sounds like you guys don't have binary logs turned on?

Backup file + logs = can roll forward the backupfile with log files to any point in time you want after the backup was taken.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/point-in-time-recovery.html

• Administrator

I'm a DBA, but I mostly specialize in MS SQL and Oracle.

I'm guessing this site is running MySQL since MS SQL and Oracle licenses are expensive. Especially Oracle.

Anyway,

Sounds like you guys don't have binary logs turned on?

Backup file + logs = can roll forward the backupfile with log files to any point in time you want after the backup was taken.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/point-in-time-recovery.html

We had to delete the server image and use a server image backup. A few important tables were dropped :( and we didn't have a regular mysql backup for them. 

"Just remember: when something breaks, kick it as hard as you fucking can"

-Trent Reznor
Support Me (Via Patreon)

Uh. If I'm reading this right, it sounds like your not backing up the entire database? You're just backing up certain tables then?

Assuming mysql:
mysqldump --all-databases > dump-$( date '+%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S' ).sql -u (USERNAME) -p(PASSWORD)

That command should backup the entire database.

OFC your sysadmin/dba equivilent will probably wanna read up on it before doing anything: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysqldump.html