New area for Members only Forum - In Testing

avdocatwork

@@jbroch

I forgot about my prog rock influences.  We had all the mandatory King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, etc.  But my all time favorite prog rock album is The Lamb Lies Down.  I had the beige double cassette version as a kid and I wore those fuckers out.  That album is still on my top 5 best of all time.  What would have been if Gabriel didn't leave when they were at the top of their game?

• Like 2

Hi, Guys

Well, today's the big day, Tank-OR CRC Bass player is stopping by my place this evening to play some tunes with me. So, soon I will have had the pleasure of playing along with 3 CRC members, @jbroch @@chrixlanier now @@Tank-OR

I hope I don't embarrass myself with my mediocre playing skills :D , if I do, oh well, I try. Plan on trying to record us playing a tune if I can get Bandicam or OBS studio working to record the game.

Later, Terry

• Like 5

Had a chance to meet up with Avdocatwork last night. Drank a few beers, made some noise, and probably pissed off the neighbors til 1am. Had a great deal of fun. Ripped off Avdoc's CDLC collection as well as sharing mine. Hope to do it again soon. Glad to see Lisa and Michelle got along too.

Sorry CRC... No pics.  LOL

• Like 5

I like how RS connects people, especially through the custom community. :D

In two weeks @Bavarezkrd will come from Krasnodar, Russia to visit me in Vienna, Austria. We'll play some RS, record some music, look at the city and he's going to a David Gilmour concert, which is actually the main reason for his trip.

We'll try to document all the interesting moments and I can post pics and videos if you guys are curious. Should be fun. :lol:

• Like 4

@@manchot66

So Funny, Some of my Fav's were Suppers Ready and still listen to those oldies, In a way we got some amazing Music from all the guys after the split, and Pete still draws them in was charging 250 a seat for a recent tour in Mass. I passed and just listened to stuff.

Jerry

• Like 1

@@Tank-OR

I had ad an excellent time also, Shawn. It was awesome going through tons of Customs mostly made by the Classic Rock Coalition Members in the past, that I haven't played for quite a while. looking forward to another meet-up in the near future.

Later, Terry

• Like 1

@@Aludog @@avdocatwork @@Tank-OR @@jbroch

That's awesome you guys are all getting together.  The great part is if we were all on a political website, we'd probably all want to kill each other, but since it's about music, everybody gets along.  It's nice to see people act like normal humans.  The world needs more of that.  Okay, I'm done philosophizing.

P.S. I thought "philosophizing" was a made up word people used to sound funny, but it's actually a real word.  Another 'duh' moment for me.

• Like 2

@@jbroch

I played the hell out of Duke and Abacab as a kid.  That big sound Collins puts up on drums is classic.  I think they're very well written songs even without Gabriel, obviously in a less prog rock manner.  That was some rockin' shit in fifth grade.  Still have both those albums on my mp3 player.

@@Tank-OR

I wish I could get together with ya, but my health is real up and down from day to day.  I wouldn't want you to show up and I'd be a zombie.  Thanks for the invite, though.  If I improve in the near future, I'm surely down for it.

There's some really nice parts along the border.  The land gets a little hilly and there's lots of little lakes up there.  Down here it's flat and concrete.  And the weather here is always crappy, or about to be crappy.

Finished up the lead part for Iron Man if anybody would like to give it a shot.  Nearly done on bass, just need to isolate a couple parts that are hard to hear and then it will be good to go, I hope.  This song makes me feel ten feet tall when I play it, even though the playing is shitty.

Black Sabbath - Iron Man v0.1 Lead Only

• Like 3

@@manchot66

Hi, Steve

Played Iron Man a few times and the note charting and guitar tone are excellent. I liked the tip you added to fret the E string between the nut and tuning peg. I was already doing that before I saw the note, learned it that way long ago, but the tip will help out the new guitarists for sure. I slowed down the tune in riff repeater and went through it a few more times to work on the solo's and they are excellent also, Good Job, Dude. Tank-OR and I played Baoulettes version a few days ago to check it out ( And I wasn't very impressed with it). Your version of the lead path is damn near perfect in my opinion. Going to play this one some more today for fun, if the tips of my fingers hold out. All that sliding on the Bass strings, the tips of my fingers start to hurt a bit, I don't mind though, they need to be toughened up anyway. :D

Later, Terry

• Like 1

@@avdocatwork

Thanks, man.  I'm having the same issue with raw finger tips on those power chord slides.  I think my ham-fisted playing doesn't help either.  I'm constantly telling myself to relax my fret hand, but I've got this natural feeling that I have to press hard on the strings.  Gotta break these bad habits.  Can't wait to get my amp and try this song.

• Like 1

@@Tank-OR

Kenosha, eh?  I'm in Oak Lawn, just southwest of Chicago.  There's a great fest every year up in Milwaukee where they get A-list bands to perform, think it's called Summerfest.  Never been to it but have friends who go every year.  You'll have to load up on gold and green football gear to blend in.  And lots of cheese, of course.

@@jhespada

Hi, jhespada

Dreams sounds OK, but there is something wrong with Ramblin' man. I made an Eb version also but it doesn't sound right either. I am thinking slightly flat or slightly sharp maybe, still trying to figure it out. Any suggestions would help. May just have to put Ramblin' man on the back burner, with all the other unfinished Customs.

Later, Terry

@@avdocatwork

All three of those Allman Brothers songs are between 20-25 cents sharp of A440, so that's why they're sounding strange.

I've gone ahead and adjusted your audio down to A440 so that you won't have to tune up to the A445 range. You can go right ahead and generate your wems with these WAV files, as I've used the audio directly from your CDLCs (no EoF fiddling needed).

Here you go: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_oBGm3OAVCqXzMycFRTWkE0VVE&usp=sharing

• Like 2

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

@@GetTheLedOut

What are you using to change the tuning of the audio file?  That would be awesome to use on songs that, like you said, are just a bit sharp or flat.

You can do it right in Audacity by using the "change pitch" function under the "Effect" tab. In the "Frequency" boxes, you'll want to enter in the actual pitch (445.1, etc.) in the "from" box and 440 in the "to" box.

As you'll see, it helps greatly to establish the actual tuning beforehand.

• Like 1

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

@@manchot66 it might be worth testing this out on Ironman, as I seem to remember that a lot of that album was rendered slightly flat of A440 during the mixing/mastering process. They might have purposely slowed the tape speed in order to achieve a slightly darker sound.

• Like 1

@@GetTheLedOut

Thanks.  Iron Man sounds like a match at A440, but I'm going to fool around with the tuning in Audacity to see if I can get a better sound.  It does seem like a song that would be down-tuned, though.  I usually can hear if the song is off key when hitting the chords, but my ear has failed me before.  Thanks, again.

• Like 1

@@GetTheLedOut

Thanks, GetTheLedOut

I went into Audio city and played around with the Pitch change procedure you described. And it makes sense to me, changing the songs audio pitch slightly so you don't have to go through the hassle of returning the guitar to slightly sharp for these Allman Brothers Customs. Plan on changing out the songs audio files with the ones you provided and update them in the next few days.

Later, Terry

• Like 1

@@GetTheLedOut

Thanks.  Iron Man sounds like a match at A440, but I'm going to fool around with the tuning in Audacity to see if I can get a better sound.  It does seem like a song that would be down-tuned, though.  I usually can hear if the song is off key when hitting the chords, but my ear has failed me before.  Thanks, again.

Love your Iron Man Version @@manchot66 

Have played it a couple of times over the last 3 days. Thank you.

• Like 1