Spot the sample!

justgimmethefunk

OK so here's an idea to start things going here : we could play a guessing game where someone would post a video of a recent song and the players would have to identify the sample used in the song. Or we can also do it the other way around : we post a video of an old school song and the players have to tell which recent song has sampled the initial one. Or we can have one of each at the same time...

Wanna play? I'll start with some very easy ones  :)

Recent song : 

IAM (French rap band) - Je Danse Le Mia

Old school song :

Stevie Wonder - I Wish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAPyngJhak

(Click me)

** See my releases and WIP here **

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

Oh my god. I am always at awe when I see how talented Stevie Wonder is. I wish I were blind if that would make me half the musician he is.

And Nathan Watts jerking that bass until the high roaring notes fall out will haunt me in my sleep. [emoji38]

Interesting game btw. I'll look for a good one to post and figure out.

I knew you would like it ;)

Oh and by the way, is there any way to show the new threads on the group's home page? Giving more visibility to the new topics would probably encourage people to participate more

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

Technically this one is almost a cover, and both songs have the same name so I'm not even sure we can talk about 'sampling' here, looting might be more appropriate ;)

So what about the videos I posted? Who will give the correct answers?

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

It's still using samples, although in such a way that it builds the base for the whole song with new lyrics on top of it.

But yeah, no challenge here.

Not really sure about yours though. I still have to think about it.

OK I'll give the answers for this first one :

'Je Danse le Mia' contains the guitar sample from 'Give Me The Night' by George Benson

'I Wish' was (heavily) sampled in the theme song from the 'Wild Wild West' movie by Will Smith

Now on with two more songs :

The recent one :

The old one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NaQZojWi6U

Have fun!

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

OK I'll give you a clue about my latest post...the "source" song which was sampled in the recent tune was released as an official DLC and is included in the list from the Soul/Funk Appreciation Society thread.

As for the Eminem song, the guitar riff sounds like some Led Zep or maybe some Aerosmith...correct?

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

It was killing me, so I looked it up: It's Michael McDonald "I Keep Forgettin'". Strange thing: I don't have that song and I didn't even knew it was in RS. No wonder I couldn't recognize it.

For Led Zep: The intro drum beat was sampled a lot, for example by Eminem on "Kim".

A tip for my post: It's not from a LZ or Aerosmith song but from a song by a member of James Gang and The Eagles. :D

Also the title of the song is actually featured in the track, taken from the chorus of said song.

• 2 months later...

Easy one ;) "It's ecstasy when you lie down next to me" by Barry White

Robbie Williams has clearly lost a lot of the attention he had a few years ago but he's still playing live, he was at Szyget festival (or however you spell it) in Hungary a few days ago.

OK so here we go again with our little sample game :

Old song (easy one) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=47&v=qfVbrPoLc3w

New song (sort of) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkmeP8s8W4

• Like 1

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

"Sounds Of Science" definitely samples parts from "The End" by The Beatles.

Spot on. Also the drum beat is taken from 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts' Club Band Reprise'.

The Isaac Hayes tune was sampled by a British trip/hop band from Bristol...it was a hit in '94 or '95 I think

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

• 1 year later...