Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 81

Remind me not to post any scores until the last minute next week. I think if I play each ~minute long segment of the song as well as I've played them (between RR and Score Attack) I come out to like, 99.67%. That gives me a margin of error of three notes. I guess it's possible, but I'm sure some of those bends and pitched slides will trip me up more than they have in some of my best attempts.

And my streak is still better  :P.

• Like 1

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Alright so here's my score for this week's bass MC :) a really sucky one, but I never get into the groove of this song :X

http://i.imgur.com/LnVNtm4.jpg

This video is from my version of "Little Green Bag", so you can compare bass over Sirandok's version:

[sharedmedia=videos:videos:1694]

And here's the score (same than in the video)

http://i.imgur.com/vIHpSzB.jpg

• Like 5

http://i.imgur.com/xXJFhDN.jpg

And I had one or two really stupid misses, too.

@@Nacholede - I'll do my best to keep @@then3verend busy if you take the lead!

• Like 2

Hope you can do it <3 but every saturday morning i have english, and always i lose the lead there, i have a lot of bad luck  :ph34r:

• Like 1

9A7alLl.jpg

Hope you can do it <3 but every saturday morning i have english, and always i lose the lead there, i have a lot of bad luck  :ph34r:

*gets outta character for a minute*

Seriously guys, both of you, pushing me to my limit, this is what I missed the most about the championship. The drive and the push to do better. I have a lot of respect for both of you as a bassist and a guitarist, and I'm learning a bunch of new stuff everyday. 

@@Nacholede You were my goal when I started this, I saw your ridiculous score on Octavarium, and I couldn't even come close. I knew I had work to do before I could even think about coming onto your level as a guitarist, and that fueled my desire, my drive to become better. Seriously, thank you and thanks to @@Mortalo for handling a place where we this feeling can happen

@@albatross213 You're the next generation of MC Bass, I can already tell, but I'm just priming you for whats coming next too, because there will be another returning challenger soon (Unless he has summer school then well, sad face :( ) that even I am afraid of returning, because his hunger is going to be like mine, and will force the both of us to get on another level. That, and you're one of the few people represent THE United States. Show the world that we defy our mainstream music, and that guitarists will once again take over this land over auto-tuned singers and songwriters that need 10 people to write a song.

Now...back into character, and back to my beer :P

• Like 4

Many nice scores on all songs :)

Seriously guys, both of you, pushing me to my limit, this is what I missed the most about the championship. The drive and the push to do better. I have a lot of respect for both of you as a bassist and a guitarist, and I'm learning a bunch of new stuff everyday. 

@@Nacholede You were my goal when I started this, I saw your ridiculous score on Octavarium, and I couldn't even come close. I knew I had work to do before I could even think about coming onto your level as a guitarist, and that fueled my desire, my drive to become better. Seriously, thank you and thanks to @@Mortalo for handling a place where we this feeling can happen

@@albatross213 You're the next generation of MC Bass, I can already tell, but I'm just priming you for whats coming next too, because there will be another returning challenger soon (Unless he has summer school then well, sad face :( ) that even I am afraid of returning, because his hunger is going to be like mine, and will force the both of us to get on another level. That, and you're one of the few people represent THE United States. Show the world that we defy our mainstream music, and that guitarists will once again take over this land over auto-tuned singers and songwriters that need 10 people to write a song.

DRINK! DRINK! DRINK! 

• Like 1

9A7alLl.jpg

Also, i'm just another guitarist on the Championship, i've been playing guitar for 3 years (i got 18, i'm really young :ph34r: ), and Octavarium is one of my favorite songs of Dream Theater, and i played a bunch of times and i got that score! i was surprised for what i achieved. But also, i look back when i started to play here, and damn...i improved a lot, i think that's what matters most, you can feel frustated (like myself now, and RS that doesn't detect the goddamn bends or has random misses), but this will push your limits to become a great guitar/bass player. I will continue playing a little bit Working Man (because i really love Rush), but i know sooner or later i'm gonna get my ass kicked hahaha  :D

• Like 2

9A7alLl.jpg

Won't be challenging for the lead any time soon but at least i'm on the board now. Chord detection seems a bit questionable. More than likely 'pilot' error though....

Really cool bass line in this song! I love the intro before the guitar kicks in.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/vf3p8574xjumwan/221680_2015-05-15_00002.png?dl=0

• Like 4

Bernixix's Little Green Bag is way easier on bass so I won't be counting that scores. It just came to late... Unless majority of Advanced Bass members will want to .

• Like 2

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

man that was a show last night....

http://i57.tinypic.com/25rl6qw.jpg

the early bird gets the wavebreaker when there is a fxxin 120.000 tickets sold

new record here and thus - biggest concert ever taking place in Austria, and we had the Stones 5 times, U2 2 times, Robbie ...

http://i61.tinypic.com/2naqvrp.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/i280v9.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/inaoar.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/34rd5j7.jpg

made me remember why i ever started playin and buyin my Sg, and whats that all for..

the fast fills didn´t come as crunchy as 5 years ago no more, but what the heck... and there was a 12 min solo on let there be rock :)

You get the chance, see them!!! i really hope there is gonna be another 3 times for me left in them over the next years

• Like 11

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

The competition is definitely a big part of the attraction of the championship. Just playing on my own it's quite unlikely that I'd put so much time and focus into learning into learning a single song and all of the techniques with it. It's awesome having someone to push me a little bit further when I/d otherwise feel like I accomplished what I set out to and didn't have much room for improvement. So, thank you and everyone else in the Championship, for both your performances and often really cool and diverse song selections, and especially @@Mortalo for keeping everything running.

With that said, I doubt I'll be able to invest nearly as much time and effort as I did this week in most coming weeks. This week was a kind of perfect storm of me having lots of free time, a great song selection for me (I like the song, and there was lots of stuff to learn from it without any part of it feeling overwhelmingly difficult), and a close competition. Hopefully some of the skills I picked up will translate into having to spend a little less time in future weeks!

Some other comments:

@@bernixix - "I never really got into the groove of this song." The song has a groove?! I'm sort of joking, but if you haven't done it yet, I suggest doing a CDLC 2 Tab and checking out the tempo changes. I don't envy the people who charted this song and had to align all of the notes with the audio!

@@Nacholede - I guess it's probably disappointing knowing that you can get sniped on Saturday morning's and not be able to respond, especially if it's already happened a few times. But for this competition, at least for me, it's not really about winning, and the brand of internet points that come along with it. It's about improving and pushing myself to be the best musician that I can be. At the end of the day, the leaderboards are based on Rocksmith's note recognition and accuracy, which isn't perfect. It's really generous with some sorts of errors, and really miserly with others.

For example, in one of the videos I posted earlier (probably the one that got taken down. The other one has lots of issues too, but I was playing without any backing) I had tons of issues that didn't lead to misses: notes played late but being registered because they were in sustains, notes ringing out that should have been muted better, notes that weren't plucked properly (so were ridiculously quiet), playing extra notes that shouldn't be there (and are often discordant), slurring notes in quick passages on one string, maybe not plucking every note in faster passages (probably not an issue here, but there's no way I'm actually playing the verse riff in Trapped Under Ice with 16ths at 230 bpm. I'm pretty fast but I'm not nearly that fast.). However, if I accidentally stop my slide from the 5th to 16th fret slightly early, I get a miss. If I start my bend to early, or bend too much or too little, I can get a miss. There are probably more things that cause easy misses that I forgot, but those are the ones I noticed in 21CSM.

Anyways, the point is that, musically, many of the mistakes that I don't get punished for are as bad or worse than the ones that I do get punished for. While the Rocksmith accuracy score isn't a bad first approximation of your ability to play a song, there's a lot more to mastering a song than increasing your accuracy, and in many cases trying to increase your accuracy at all costs (by abusing some of the deficiencies of the note recognition noted above) comes at the expense of real musicianship.

Well, that turned into a bit of a rant. Here's a TL;DR.

TL;DR: Don't worry too much about your accuracy scores in and of themselves. Use them as motivation towards improving as a musician, and always keep good musicianship in mind when playing.

Edit: Just saw the news about B.B. King. I guess I was writing or doing other things for quite a while! Always sad to hear that a legend passes. I remember him being an inspiration for my brother's guitar playing, and I'm sure he motivated many others as well. I have to admit, though, I'm not overly familiar with his music. Any recommendations on where to start?

Edited by albatross213
  • Like 3

In moments like this we should not mourn but remember what good B.B. King has gave us. So since now, through whole next week, we're going to pay tribute to King himself playing one of his songs:

Tribute to B.B. King:

Guitar: B.B. King - Chains and Things

PS. It will be placed in sheet for next week.

• Like 11

@@bernixix I only ment that your version is easier, so that can be unfair for some of the Advanced particpants, but it's their call.

• Like 1

Had a shitty week, what could have been a reason that i dont really feel these songs 

and therefore lack enthusiasm for playing them, so here are 2 lousy attempts from me.

Working Man Lead, 87%

21st Century Schizoid Man, 94%

On the topic of the excellent Mr. King:

Really bummed  about that. That dude was really awesome, and just mad respect from me.

He was one of my first influences for playin bluesy-stuff.

We lost one of the big guitar guys today :(

R.I.P. 

• Like 6