The Soul/Funk Appreciation Society

justgimmethefunk

Seeing him play the "Funk Machine".  Incredible!

Like seeing Arthur with Excalibur. :joy_cat:

And, OMG, the narrator in that second video is just so damn WHITE!

Sixties stereotypically white film and tv announcer.  :lol:

• Like 1

"This is a slippery slope, a Bass is a 'gateway' instrument." - Portlandia  S4E4
       Own a Guitar, but not a Bass?  Use Rocksmith's Bass Emulator Mode to get low & funky today!   

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I just discovered this thread which is making my whole day a lot better. Also, I noticed "What is Hip" by tower of power is not on the list!  I'm thrilled to be following along with you guys.

• Like 3

Found this Tribute page to JJ... great stuff and footage there!

EDIT: btw @justgimmethefunk, can ya add Stevie Wonder's Do I Do to the list? it does deserve a place on the list!

Thanks for the weblink.  For such a bass icon there is very little in the way of resources or merchandise related to JJ.  Methinks that it may have something to do with the family?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that there's a genres subsection of the forums, it probably makes sense to reproduce the main post over there. Thanks for being one of the first (and probably most extensive) listings of a genre on here!

• Like 1

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

I joined a new band recently, learning/practicing the new songs takes most of my free time and I just can't maintain this thread any longer. So I will gladly pass the torch to anyone who's willing to keep the soul/funk list updated

• Like 4

(Click me)

** See my releases and WIP here **

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

I'll do an Afrobeat list for sure. Should be relatively short since I am basically the only one releasing Afrobeat tracks. :lol:

I could probably do a Funk list as well because that one's relatively clear cut and closely related to Afrobeat. Or maybe Afrobeat fits better as a subgenre of Funk? What do you guys think?

Afrobeat is usually classified as a union of western and african music, mainly Funk and Highlife. Fela himself, who basically invented and popularized the genre, referred to James Brown as a big influence, so Funk is definitely part of the discussion (at least for me) but I see your point. It can't hurt to make a separate list because I have more than Fela Kuti planned. There's some seriously great stuff from other african artists from around the same time. I may throw Highlife into the mix as well and put it on the same list. :D

• Like 1

I joined a new band recently, learning/practicing the new songs takes most of my free time and I just can't maintain this thread any longer. So I will gladly pass the torch to anyone who's willing to keep the soul/funk list updated

Aww gonna miss you my Funky French friend. I know your new bands bottom end is gonna be more than taken care of ;)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This is just incredible. For many years I’ve been into all of these forms of music that nobody else I personally knew could relate to…most people would just smile and nod when I talked about Funkadelic or The Bar-kays, they probably thought it was funny that I was such a reverse Oreo :D

I knew one magical day I would find people who shared my love of all this amazing Funk & Soul. I feel blessed to have stumbled upon this site!

• 1 year later...