The Soul/Funk Appreciation Society

justgimmethefunk

And by the way, I wonder what it's like to be in Jerry Barnes' shoes...he's the *new* Chic bass player, and of course people will always compare him to Bernard Edwards...and when you come after such an iconic player, it must be challenging, to say the least, no matter how good you are :

• Like 3

(Click me)

** See my releases and WIP here **

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

i'm not sure how the group works, but if anyone needs a BASS beta tester on PC i'd be happy to help.

i have good ears and decent chops.  i've made a couple of CDLCs but don't have as much time to make

them as i want.  i do get to play, usually once a day for an hour, so i still might be able to contribute to the

group/community despite not directly creating new content.

if anyone wants their new works tested out on a second PC machine before they go live, shoot me a PM.

• Like 2

Good to know in case I ever need a second opinion or someone with good skills to test my transcriptions.

I usually don't need it but I plan on doing some more complex stuff eventually where I'm not sure if I can handle it myself when it comes to testing.

It would be a good idea though to just post the test file here, so that more people have a chance to give feedback. Or we could just pm all members of the SFAS to keep it closed off from the eye of the public.

• Like 1

I've just released a new pack in my R&B/Soul/Funk project:

Release #9: "Slap That Funky Soul!"

You can add these to the list. I also realized that my Dr. John customs are missing from the list, so if you'd be so kind to add them as well, justgimmethefunk. Much obliged. :D
  • Like 2

You can add these to the list. I also realized that my Dr. John customs are missing from the list, so if you'd be so kind to add them as well, justgimmethefunk. Much obliged. :D

All good  :)

• Like 1

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

In honor of our first really hot day of the year, here's some Heatwave:

Stay cool!

Having some Liquid Sunshine today?

• Like 1

"This is a slippery slope, a Bass is a 'gateway' instrument." - Portlandia  S4E4
       Own a Guitar, but not a Bass?  Use Rocksmith's Bass Emulator Mode to get low & funky today!   

Woah! What a performance. That's what I call showmanship.

I don't think many current bands could pull that off. :D

In Platform shoes as well...

• Like 1

"This is a slippery slope, a Bass is a 'gateway' instrument." - Portlandia  S4E4
       Own a Guitar, but not a Bass?  Use Rocksmith's Bass Emulator Mode to get low & funky today!   

Watch this if you have the time to get a preview of my next artist pack. Two of the songs in the pack are included in this short set and the interview parts are really interesting too.

Sharon Jones is also mentioned, who will get a 6-pack. :D

• Like 2

I just uploaded a new 3-pack by Lee Fields & The Expressions:

Release #10: "Faithful Man"

Song #1: Lee Fields & The Expressions - Ladies
Song #2: Lee Fields & The Expressions - Faithful Man
Song #3: Lee Fields & The Expressions - Talk To Somebody

Enjoy, guys. There's some great grooving to be had with these tracks. :D

• Like 1

Thanks @@Aludog

These are quite recent tracks so I'm not sure if they should be included in the list...there's some Tower of Power stuff that I didn't include either because it's from the late 80s.

Let me know, good people, how you want it done

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

I personally see no reason why we have to make temporary restrictions in the song list as well. We already put a genre restriction on it and I think that should be good enough. Good soul music should be appreciated even if it's contemporary. With the soul revival at the end of the 90's there's a slow comeback of the genre and really good stuff has been produced in the last few years. Even artists like Amy Winehouse should have a place here (whose "Back In Black" album featured The Dap-Kings, backing band of Sharon Jones). :D

Sharon Jones is also mentioned, who will get a 6-pack. :D

For just a second I read 'Sharon Stone' instead of 'Sharon Jones' and I thought "what? she did songs? six??"  :lol:

Yeah, my bad. I kind of got confused there myself and made a quick correction. :lol:

I personally see no reason why we have to make temporary restrictions in the song list as well. We already put a genre restriction on it and I think that should be good enough. Good soul music should be appreciated even if it's contemporary. With the soul revival at the end of the 90's there's a slow comeback of the genre and really good stuff has been produced in the last few years. Even artists like Amy Winehouse should have a place here (whose "Back In Black" album featured The Dap-Kings, backing band of Sharon Jones). :D

List has been updated  :)

• Like 1

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

J-Funk: Perhaps you should have named it the Classic Soul/Funk Appreciation Society. I have assumed that is what you meant, which is why I didn't list all the 80s and beyond soul, funk, R&B, and... uh, hip-hop CDLCs I have downloaded. I suppose Jamiroquai and Bruno Mars qualify now. Oh, and at least one of the songs (or is it the other?) by the dude on the left playing a Strat.

Well that's the thing...if the year of release is no longer considered then anything goes : some of the Red Hot Chili Peppers could fit in, some Jamiroquai or Prince like you wrote....this would bring up the debate of 'how do we classify music by genre', i.e what makes a song a funk song or a soul song etc...

Debate is good I guess  :)

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

I personally decide genre questions mainly on an artist level and sometimes on an album level. There may always be that one soul/funk song by an artist that usually plays a different genre but I don't really recognize it as such and rather group it together with the rest. Sometimes an artist produces an album that differs from previous releases and may fit the genre as a whole now and that I would categorize appropriately. It's more difficult with bands like RHCP that definitely have a clear tendency to play funk infused rock but they are still mainly rock musicians to me, so I wouldn't necessarily bunch them together with classic Motown artists or even current soul musicians like Lee Fields, Sharon Jones, Amy Winehouse, etc.

Jamiroquai might fit in better but they take influences from a great many genres which is always problematic when it comes to labeling music.

We should probably be democratic about it and discuss it artist by artist with a final vote.

Sounds good. Personnally I wouldn't vote for the RHCP for the same reason as you. Jamiroquai is an interesting case; the two first albums were clearly acid-jazz, then they took a turn towards funk-fueled pop, yet the 'pop' aspect stands out more than the funk one does, to my ears anyway. I don't consider them a true funk band (but I would more easily consider the Brand New Heavies as such).

Michael Jackson is another example : I included the tracks from 'Off The Wall' in the list but I intentionnally left out his later albums, including Thriller. I wasn't sure what to do with this one, but eventually I didn't include because it simply doesn't sound like a soul/funk album to me.

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list