http://www.allgigs.co.uk/images/object/artist/72071/Iron_Butterfly-1-200-200-100-crop.gif

Time for another project, that I can sporadically work on whenever I feel the need. :)

Iron Butterfly has been one of my favorite bands ever since I got into music from the 60s and 70s. As famous as they are for "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", most people don't even know anything else about them. So, I think it's fair to say, that they are still extremely underrated because the songwriting and musicianship was a lot stronger than they are usually given credit for. The songs may be short and simplistic for the most part but there's not a single one on their first four albums (let's just disregard their two mid 70's busts) that I don't care for. Especially the tunes on "Ball" are catchy as hell and really every song has a bass line that adds movement and excitement to the track in a way that it seldom does in other bands. I would say Organ and Bass were most definitely the central elements of almost every song. The guitar always stays back, has a lot of reverb and isn't up front in the mix like the bass, so you can always make out those amazing lines by Jerry Penrod, who left after "Heavy", and then Lee Dorman. Both were amazing bass players and had a very similar style, so for a long time I always thought it was the same guy playing on all the albums, when in fact every member apart from band leader Doug Ingle left before they recorded their second album.

The big question remains, if I like them so much, why have I never even tried to make a custom of one of their tracks before? Well, when I started out making customs, I couldn't transcribe yet and their weren't any good tabs around (and there still aren't), so I had no choice to move on to other stuff. After I got the hang of transcribing bass parts, I was still hung up on always trying to deliver full packages that include arrangements for all instruments, so I put it on hold until I would be able to transcribe the guitar parts as well. I've improved a lot since then but, tbh, I still have trouble with guitar parts and I'm tired of waiting, so I figured: fuck this shit, I'm just gonna make bass only customs because that's what I really was interested in from the start. I think no other band has inspired me more to become a bass player and even after learning so many different bass lines and styles, I still find the bass work on those IB tracks awe inspiring. They make me crab my bass every time I fire up a track wishing I could play along now but alas, I'm not that good. So, grunt work it is and because I couldn't decide on where to start or which songs to "customize", I just figured, I'd do them all and proceed chronologically. When I say, I'll do them all, I'm probably lying, but we'll have to see how far I can get. Obviously, I won't work on this continuously but I'll try to do at least one or two each month.

Heavy

Gentle As It May Seem

You Can't Win

So-Lo

Look For The Sun

Fields Of Sun

Stamped Ideas

Iron Butterfly Theme

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Most Anything You Want

Flowers And Beads

My Mirage

Termination

Are You Happy

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Ball

In The Time Of Our Lives

Soul Experience

Lonely Boy

Real Fright

In The Crowds

It Must Be Love

Her Favorite Style

Filled With Fear

Belda-Beast

Metamorphosis

Free Flight

New Day

Shady Lady

Best Years Of Our Life

Slower Than Guns

Stone Believer

Soldier In Our Town

Easy Rider (Let The Wind Pay The Way)

Butterfly Bleu

As usual, if anyone wants to help out in any way, let me know. ;)

• Like 1

I really like a lot of the work you have done and wish I were far enough along to help you out a bit with this one!   Would it be inappropriate to make a plug for the Classic Coalition guys?  This sounds like something right up their alley and I bet they have peeps willing to help with some the guitar parts.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind asking the guys who are part of the CRC to help out, I just didn't think of it because they all have their own stuff to work on, so they won't necessarily have the time. Also, not sure how many of them are good enough at transcribing to really help me out but it shouldn't hurt to ask. ;)

Thanks for giving me the idea.

• Administrator

If you are searching for help on guitar tab, depending on what resources of information you have, we can find an agreement to get somewhere so that this discography goes somewhere further.

You can contact me by PM to keep this thread clean of any off-topic talks ;)

• Like 2

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

If you are searching for help on guitar tab, depending on what resources of information you have, we can find an agreement to get somewhere so that this discography goes somewhere further.

You can contact me by PM to keep this thread clean of any off-topic talks ;)

I'll continue working on this either way but if you are interested in helping out, feel free to take your pick, make a transcription and send it my way. That's pretty much all you'd have to do. Of course you'd get full credit and have my eternal gratidute.

If I already have made a bass transcription I could also send you the GP file to work with and put the guitar part in there.

Just let me know. The same goes for everyone else willing to help out.