'Let ring' capable?

dpslikeits1999

Question

Sorry, if it looks like I'm reposting but questions I posted in earlier threads have morphed into a slightly different issue.

Is there a 'Let ring' capability with RS?  That is, can you hit one note and subsequently hit shorter notes overlapping with the whole note.  I've tried to import GP files with a whole note followed by seven overlapping 1/8 notes but it looks like eight 1/8 notes in EoF.   The initial whole note is cut down and stops as soon as the second note starts.  (I actually used a series of tied notes for the whole note but it works the same.  Without the overlapping 1/8 notes, the series of tied notes occur as a single not with a duration of all the tied ones.)

I can see this being difficult to discern in RS if you're playing arpeggios.  For something like House of the Rising Sun, RS doesn't seem to count it wrong if you 'let it ring' but other times, you might need that info.

This came up during a potential fix for an unrelated problem:   two strings hit at the same time and bent by different amounts (one half step and the other a whole step).  Technotes only allows me to bend one string but not the other or both by the same amount.   One suggested fix, was to have the notes separated by a few milliseconds so EoF will treat them as isolated notes and I can use Technotes to put in the different bends.  However, If I do this, the lack of a 'let ring' capability truncates the first note to just the few milliseconds until the second note occurs.  

Alternatively, a more direct fix for my problem would be for Technotes to allow two different bends.  Or, a 'Let ring' option...

3 answers to this question

Hey, @@dpslikeits1999,

This is the only way I've found to add a 'let ring' note.  You can even use it when you are mid bend and want to hit a note but still maintain the bend.  Try this:

Add "linknext" to the note you want to ring.  Then add a gem further down the track that your first note can 'link' to (you're going to remove this note later, so it doesn't matter where or what it is, just as long as your first note links to it with a long tail).  Then place the notes you're going to play while the original note is ringing.  Then, remove linknext from your first note and remove the note that it was 'linked' to.  Now, you still have the tail on your original note and it overlaps the notes you want it to 'ring' over.  You can adjust the tail on your first note however you like and it will show up in game.

If you played this: 

you could notice 'let ring' notes, it's usually done with crazy status for note which should ring, that's works in RS. single notes only, for chrds it requires more rithual dancing stuff

you should learn this article about techs: http://customsforge.com/topic/890-tech-notes-tutorial-authoring-complex-bends-and-more/

Thanks, Alex and Manchot.  I used the Technote pdf initially to attempt the two different bends.   I didn't check it for 'let ring'.  The 'Crazy Arpeggio' section seems to describe what Manchot recommends and it looks like they're hitting a note during another.  I'll give it a try.