Setting note durations in EoF

dpslikeits1999

Question

This is related to my previous issue of putting a chord in with two strings bent to two different values.  Raynebc's solution was to separate the notes by a millisecond.  Slight problem.  Both notes are 1/8 notes.  I can put in the first note fine.  When I go to put in the second note, it cuts the duration of the first note to end when the second note starts.  So, instead of having two 1/8 notes offset by a fraction of a beat, I get one 1/8 note overlapping with a super fast note. 

How do I change the duration of that note or prevent it from being trimmed when the new note is inserted? 

Also, how do I set the duration of a note in EoF?  In the  past, I would just copy/paste a note of the desired duration.  It would be helpful if I could just set it some how.

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

You have 2 single notes about a millisecond apart, and you'd like to lengthen them to have the duration of an eight note?  Just making sure I'm on the same page.

If you click a note and mouse scroll up (or press the [ ] keys) the note duration will extend.  But it will stop once you hit another note.  To extend it past the next note you have to toggle crazy mode.  If the t key isn't working, maybe try this:

-Make sure you are in normal (not tech) mode

-Click the first of the two notes

-In the menu bar click Note

-Click Toggle Crazy

You'll know if toggle crazy is selected because white box around the number will turn black.  Is it black?

You have 2 single notes about a millisecond apart, and you'd like to lengthen them to have the duration of an eight note?  Just making sure I'm on the same page.

If you click a note and mouse scroll up (or press the [ ] keys) the note duration will extend.  But it will stop once you hit another note.  To extend it past the next note you have to toggle crazy mode.  If the t key isn't working, maybe try this:

-Click Toggle Crazy

You'll know if toggle crazy is selected because white box around the number will turn black.  Is it black?

Hmmm... Box around the number is black.  But when I toggle up/down, it just moves the note to the adjacent string.  Does the same thing if I'm in Toggle Crazy or not.

-Click Toggle Crazy

Hmmm... Box around the number is black.  But when I toggle up/down, it just moves the note to the adjacent string.  Does the same thing if I'm in Toggle Crazy or not.

So, I can use the brackets to adjust the duration of the note.  However, I cannot extend it past the new I inserted.  This leaves me with the same problem:   The duration of the first note is still milliseconds instead of a full 1/8 note. 

Can you even have overlapping notes, that is 'let ring', where an initial note continues while a second note occurs?  I know I've tried to import GP files that had an open E string whole note followed by a bunch of 1/8 notes overlapping with the low E but the initial E was truncated to an 1/8.  I can see where this becomes a visual nightmare for RS especially if you have multiple strings sustaining.

My solution for the double stop where each string is bent a different amount was to place the tech notes at different positions. The notes in the double stop can still start at the exact same time. This is what it should look like:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/raynebc/th_double%20stop%20multi%20bend%20strengths_zpskimwufao.jpg

The tech notes aren't the playable notes themselves that you would use to author the double stop, they are a special type of note you place on top to place a technique. In my example I placed the tech notes far apart just to demonstrate, but you can place them as close as 1 or 2ms apart if you place both notes, turn off grid snap, zoom in all the way with the + key on the number pad and then click and drag one of the notes close to the other one. Make sure not to drop the one tech note onto the other one at the exact same timestamp or EOF will combine them into a chord and then they can't have different bend strengths anymore. If this happens, just undo with CTRL+Z and give it another try.