Problem with real tone cable

Neilpeart2112

Question

Hello guys,

I've got a problem with the cable since a few days now.
I haven't played for about 3-4 days.
I tried yesterday but there's something strange going on, I can see that the cable is plugged in and the laptop "sees" it but when I open rocksmith, there's no audio coming out.
Any suggestion?
Thank you in advance

25 answers to this question

Or unplug it and plug it back in while in game. I've had mine say it is unplugged when it was clearly plugged in.

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

Try unplugging and re-plugging the connector in the middle of the cable.

Has anything changed?  I had to upgrade my OS, and now the cable works in the USB-2 port but had an issue with the USB-3 ports (translation = try a different USB socket)

"Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried in my own way to be free" Leonard Cohen - RIP

Peek inside 2groggy's basement FreeBird Laboratory (not for the faint of heart)

Tobias Bass VI      SG shaped Bass VI     Hollow Acoustic Thunderbird 5     Hollow Archtop Bass VI

Harlequin Hollow Archtop Bass     Hollow Toby Bass VI     Starcaster Bass     A trio of hollow archtops (new)

Thank you for the answers guys,
Under control panel the level of realtone cable is like off, even if I strum the strings, that should be the problem but can't figure out how I can solve that.
FOr the rest, I've tried to unplug/plug back in the cable itself and the middle cable as well.
It sees the device but looks like It doesn't get volume from it.

And nope I don't have active pickups :)

Oh I hate to say this,, but your cable may have crapped out. I haven't had that issue yet but it is a possibility. I bought 2 back when RS 1 first came out and they are both still good. But,  I have heard of them failing. Either that or your output jack on your guitar. Do you have an amp you can test your jack with ?

I do have an amp but I don't really know how to test it out since the out is a USB =(

UPDATE: I guess it's the cable as @@Attitude said. I've tried the cable on another laptop and I can't see the volume raises when I strum the strings.
Do they still sell the USB cables anyway? I remember I've looked for them last year but I wasn't able to find them, just some auctions for about 100 euros lol.

Glad to hear that. Order another one when you can so you always have a backup. And if the wires pulled out of that one,, I would make THAT one your backup.

I bought a spare from Ebay the back end of last year as a spare, I finally got round to testing it a bout 3 weeks ago to find that it did not work, the only reason i tested it was my active bass stopped working, turned out to be the battery.

so I looked around and decided to order my spare/backup cable from Amazon and tested it as soon as it arrived. I would hate to think what i would do if I was without a cable for my rocksmith *shudders*

Guitars: ESP LTD F-54 Bass, Tanglewood Curbow4 Bass, Stagg BC300-N Bass, Yamaha BBN5bk (5String), ESP LTD AX-360, Plus a cheapo no name acoustic

I don't have an answer for the OP but I own an audio interface with a guitar input, if those Rocksmith cables are being "retired", they should patch the program to allow the use of another guitar input. I know they don't allow other interface to sell their cable but if those cable are hard to find it's not logical. Unfortunately I know they won't do that.

It's not really possible as every interface has its own dedicated drivers.  Trying to integrate 1000s of interface devices (and their drivers) with Rocksmith is just an impossibly huge task.

Don't think you will be using your Focusrite Scarlett in Rocksmith anytime soon :(

@PC Plum, the main problem is noise lvls and delay, you can try to patch the game to force it pick up your interface(no ASIO support lame), but because of different noise lvls and gain and delay you'll get unique experience, like too overdriven tones oe lo soft tones, or sand and rubbish sound, vvhich could be adjusted for other devices by some extra calibration steps, but then Ubi vvill lose about 20$ for cable and more  complains about game quality and note detection free interface usage should mean no support for it...

that's vvhat I think

Most interfaces I used need to be the ONLY sound device i.e. sound goes into device and (more importantly) sound comes out of device.  Which means that you would need your headphones plugged into device not your normal pc sound output.

Of course you can use ASIO4ALL to remedy that, but Ubi will never support ASIO4ALL unless they buy it :D

And yes Alex360, I also think that latency would be huge and very annoying.

It's not really possible as every interface has its own dedicated drivers.  Trying to integrate 1000s of interface devices (and their drivers) with Rocksmith is just an impossibly huge task.

Don't think you will be using your Focusrite Scarlett in Rocksmith anytime soon :(

I don't think so. If I follow you, music software developpers have to program thousands of drivers in their programs? No way. The sound drivers are installed in the OS, the software uses what the OS "gives" it. The software access the audio subsystem of the OS (ASIO, WDM for Windows and whatever it is on MAC). Ubisoft is a game company not a music software company and they program Rocksmith to sell their cable. I agree we won't be able to use our Focusrite(?) with Rocksmith but it has nothing to do with the task of programming it. It is only a marketing decision.

What I meant is that whenever I have used a USB music interface then that has to be the only sound device e.g. you can't have your guitar plugged into your Focusrite with the sound coming out of your normal pc speakers, the sound has to come back out of the Focusrite too.

If you were to be able to use the Focusrite as the sound adaptor for Rocksmith, then Rocksmith would need to speak to the Focusrite drivers.  Also the Tascam drivers, the RME drivers, the Apollo drivers etc etc, whichever interface you are using.

That's not even getting near sample rates, bit depths etc.

The only time I've succesfully used a guitar input in Cubase with the sound coming out of my normal pc speakers is when I used the Rocksmith cable and ASIO4ALL.

I may be wrong, I know...  :D