Your "Mt. Rushmore" of guitar players?

AtGame7

Question

I like this topic more than just knowing who your favorite is because it let's us see some diversity in your appreciation for guitar players.  Also, this just isn't your top four favorites, it should be who you view as the four best, the innovators, the masters, the legends.

For example, my personal favorite is Slash, but I know he doesn't make the "Mt. Rushmore" list.  I would give him an honorable mention because despite him and Axl being nitwits and ruining one of the all time great bands, he is an incredible talent.

Atop my Mt. Rushmore in no particular order:

Jimi Hendrix

Jimmy Page

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Eddie Van Halen

Picking just four is no easy task, leaving off names like Beck, Clapton and even Les Paul seems wrong, but that's my list. 

Yours?

Those are some pretty solid lists!

I see Angus Young mentioned a couple of times and he's another guy I had a really hard time leaving off the list.  Maybe I should have done a baseball team and asked for your "starting 9"?

So many great talents that narrowing it down to any number almost seems unfair.

Hmmm tough one to narrow down. for me im thinking

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Slash

Mark Knopfler

And for the reserves:

James Hetfield

Zakk Wild

Eric Clapton

Eddie Van Halen

Now to imagine all 8 on stage having a 4v4 shred off. Wow

• Like 2

Hmmm tough one to narrow down. for me im thinking

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Slash

Mark Knopfler

And for the reserves:

James Hetfield

Zakk Wild

Eric Clapton

Eddie Van Halen

Now to imagine all 8 on stage having a 4v4 shred off. Wow

An exceptional list of 8 you have there.  Not to be morbid, but imagine the talent and knowledge the world loses when these guys pass away......  I know others will take their place, but imagine the talent and guitar knowledge we lost when Hendrix passed way too young and imagine what he COULD have done has he lived another 27 years (at least).

Jimmy Page

Eddie Van Halen

Al Di Meola

Yngwie Malmsteen

Mark Knopfler

You have a bigger Mt Rushmore than most...... :mrgreen:

• Like 1

• Administrator

Tom MorelloRobin FinckDaron MalakianAdam Jones

RUNNER UPS

Kurt Cobain

Aaron NorthShaun Morgan

John 5

Mothman is real and he sold me coke in a dimly lit JC Penney's.

my list is:Buckethead,Jimi Hendrix,Kurt Cobain,Robin Finck,John Frusciante,Kirk Hammett,Eddie Vedderfrom this top four:Buckethead,Jimi Hendrix,Kurt Cobain,Kirk Hammett

Interesting you chose Eddie Vedder. I do like his style. Just Breathe and The End are good examples of his style that I like.

My 2 pennies worth.

Steve Vai: ( He played for Zappa at the ripe old age of 19. Are you kidding me ? ) He was  listed in the liner notes as Impossible guitar parts and stunt guitar, by Frank Zappa.

Randy Rhoads: ( Not necessarily the cleanest player out there but at the time he was doing things no one else was ) ( Career cut WAY to short by his untimely death. )

Darrel Abbot ( Dimebag ) : Frigging woke the metal world up with a new sound and different style.  Some of the best solo's I've ever heard. ) Brilliant.

Dave Mustaine : Highly underrated and a frigging genius as far as song writing goes. ( Don't believe me ? Try playing Lucretia . ) Holy Wars/ Punishment Due is composed as well as almost anything I can think of.

Many others but if I HAD to choose just 4,. I would gladly take the ability to play like any of them. I put Steve Vai at the top of this list because I KNOW he could play any of the others stuff.

Edited by Attitude
Because I'm yet to perfect a post on the first attempt.
  • Like 1

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.