New-ish Bass Player Looking for Good Songs

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new, only been playing for about 2 months now.  I've gotten a ton of CDLC from here and I love it, but most of it is way too hard for me, probably because I tend to pick songs with really cool bass lines.  

Can you guys recommend some good songs for someone pretty new?

My favorite song to play so far is Stray Cat Strut by the Stray Cats.  Songs with the walking bass like that and like Cake's Stick Shifts and Safety Belts are some of my favorites.

Any suggestions you have for just getting better in general would be awesome too.  My warm ups always consists of playing major and minor scales and then I usually jump into playing some songs on Rocksmith.

Thanks!

Hi

If you like walking bass lines, you can pick 'The Love Cats' by The Cure. This one's not too hard.

Otherwise, from my own stash, I would recommend 'If I Ain't Got You' by Alicia Keys to improve accuracy of note placement and the 'James Jamerson Chromatic Exercise' to work on your technique. And finally if you want to improve speed, go for 'Blitzkrieg Bop' by The Ramones!

(Click me)

** See my releases and WIP here **

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

Thanks! I'll pick them up.  I saw James Jamerson's Chromatic Exercise in another thread, but couldn't find any CDLC for it, but I'll look again.  If not, I 'll just youtube it and play it from there.  

I've played the heck out of Blitzkrieg pop, but I'll look up the other ones you suggested.  Thanks!

• Like 1

The Love Cats link doesn't work anymore. :(

Ah yes, this one was uploaded by UKLooney and he seems to have disappeared...

Use this link : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4vmx0n5dnrlnacf/AADpMxYzJIDSmuFroGa4d7UFa?dl=0

You'll find the link to the Jamerson exercise if you click the small white URL in my signature, just below Lord Vader...

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

The Love Cats link doesn't work anymore. :(

Ah yes, this one was uploaded by UKLooney and he seems to have disappeared...

Use this link : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4vmx0n5dnrlnacf/AADpMxYzJIDSmuFroGa4d7UFa?dl=0

You'll find the link to the Jamerson exercise (and my other CDLCs) if you click the small white URL in my signature, just below Lord Vader...

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

Johnny B Goode (Chuck Berry OR Marty McFly version from Back to the Future) has a tough but good walking bass line.  The BttF version was a song selection for the "Master Class" division of the Rocksmith Championship here on Customs Forge a while back.

I think the Championship here is a great way to get introduced to new songs every week, and there are 4 difficulty level divisions including Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Master Class.  So, each week you will pretty much be sure to find something that is appropriate to your skill level.  New players are welcome all the time, so check it out if you're interested!

Here's links to the Johnny B Good customs in any case:

Chuck Berry original - http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/johnny-b-goode-r671

Marty McFly BttF - http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/johnny-b-goode-r8896

• Like 1

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to Bass side of the force ! I find much of the Pink Floyd stuff is pretty easy to play, and very iconic, and nostalgic.

There are so many great Bass charts on here it's hard to say where to start ! Just remember you're not making mistakes, you're learning every time you play!

JB

• Like 2

I would be cautious with Alt-J. We had, in Championship, one of their's song that would make real beginner faint :)

Newer Metric is easy and fun.

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Play the songs you wanna play!If they are too hard, just use riff repeater to slow them down and then when you are comfortable, speed up a bit. Choose the coolest, most difficult bass lines you can think of and start nice and slow...

Music is about feeling. Play the music that makes you feel good and when you are able to play it properly at the right speed, the rewards will be that much sweeter than if you played an old music just because it's easy enough for you.

I suggest Hysteria and The Lemon Song ;)

• Like 1