A couple of issues

BaddDadd2010

Question

I think I'll like this better than the old search, but I've run into a couple of issues:

First, when I go to http://ignition.customsforge.com/, it's remembering a search I had the last time I was there. There's nothing in the link I'm using with the search information, so it must be being saved in a cookie or something.

Second, I'm not sure how to get to the page for a particular DLC. I like that I can click now to just get to the download, but I can't figure out how to go to the CDLC page. I'm guessing it's possible, and I just don't know how.

ETA: I've got three paragraphs in the above, but it's all showing up as a single paragraph, making it harder to read.

ETA2: After adding the first ETA, I've got paragraphs now...

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

I don't like that I can't just easily open the page for a song. On the old site, I can open a song page in a new tab with a single click. It stays on that page, and I can easily open a few tabs in a row.

On the ignition site, I have to click on the song, scroll the dialog window down, then click to go to the song page. Then I have to close the dialog window to select a new song. I'd much rather have a direct link to the song page.

• Like 4

Also, opening the dialog box enables the first video in the song's record page and so if you want to view the records page without background music you have to close the dialog box, then "open" it again to pause the video.  It gets really confusing when 2 or 3 vids start playing at once.

It's a bit of a rigmaroll and I like to do things as described above by BaddDadd2010, instant link to the records page and have a few tabs open at once.

As a charter I like to have the play vids readily available for people to view, so it lets them know what they are downloading.  Not just the songs that I play myself, but sometimes users put in real effort to make a great play vid of one of my songs.

Since I'm on a rant (not really :) ) I also dislike how it now searches.  For example, when I searched for "PC Plum" before (cause, ya know I like to see my download counts and how many songs I've uploaded) I used to get and only get "PC Plum".  Now I get anthing with "plum" in it, there are some others charters with "plum" contained in their name and any song with "plum" in it somewhere.

I'm all for bashing on with improvements, and please don't take this as moaning.  You guys are putting in so much effort to make this site better and better, I just thought you would want some feedback for possible further refinement.

A direct link to the records page (possibly even in the drop down menu on the left) would be sweet :D

I understand that clicking on the song title opens the song info window.

But wouldn't it be logical, when I click on the charter, I get info on the charter, same for Album, Artist.

I really miss this "Filter Click" feature from the old search, because I got used to browse away from the keyboard with the mouse only. 

What TomSawyer2012 said. I hadn't realized yet that that didn't work any more. I'll often see something that catches my eye, find a song I like, then click on the artist to see what other songs they have. Or I'll click on a charter who has made good DLC that I like and just try a few artists or songs I don't recognize.

• Like 1

What TomSawyer2012 said. I hadn't realized yet that that didn't work any more. I'll often see something that catches my eye, find a song I like, then click on the artist to see what other songs they have. Or I'll click on a charter who has made good DLC that I like and just try a few artists or songs I don't recognize.

That all still works.  If you open the song info pane, and click on the charter's name, you get a list of all of their uploaded customs.  If you click on the artist name, you get all of the customs by that artist.  Same with the album name.

Everything in the song info pane that you can click on turns green when you hover over it with your mouse.  You also get the mouseover text that tells you what clicking on that link does.

Artist_more.png

Album_more.png

Charter_more.png

• Like 2

Sweet Wepeel, I knew I was being a noob  :(

Would still love a direct button to view record though  :)

Me too.  I wish clicking on the song title would bring up the record page like it did with the old search.

Then, a small info icon could be used to pull up the info pane.

Something like this would (but smaller obviously) would fit nicely to the left or right of the "Add" column

Kyo-Tux-Delikate-Info.jpg

Or, conversely, they could keep the functionality the way it is now (click entry line to open info pane) and add a "Go To Record" button to the right of the "Add" column.  That would allow people the choice of both.

vinyl-record-icon.jpg

If it's been a while since I checked the new uploads, I like to open a bunch of them all at once.  As nice as the "Add To Collection" functionality is, and it's great for charters I know and trust, I prefer to read the comments for all of the other uploads before I download and try them.  So I'm always doing a lot of redundant clicking as I open the info pane, click "Go To Record Page", click outside the pane to close it, and click on the next record.... Repeat that 25 times and the time wasted really adds up.

Ok, so the filter works, on Opera 12 it hangs, you can't select another object, on Opera 27 selection works, but on the page the columns are not aligned, neither in Iexplorer.

That all still works.  If you open the song info pane, and click on the charter's name, you get a list of all of their uploaded customs.  If you click on the artist name, you get all of the customs by that artist.  Same with the album name.

Everything in the song info pane that you can click on turns green when you hover over it with your mouse.  You also get the mouseover text that tells you what clicking on that link does.

Artist_more.png

Album_more.png

Charter_more.png

That is almost like doing a search to do a search.  It can be difficult to search for all songs by a specific artist.  The old system had an option to pull up a sorted list of artists to browse for selections, making it easy to find all the different ways one artist might be entered into the database (look at B.B. King, for example).  It also made it easy to find stuff you might have forgotten about...  "Oh yeah, I remember them, I gotta get that one!"