help with getting into more classical music please

leo42066

Question

I would like to get into more classical music but i don't know many artist/composers. I know the top guys Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. If anyone would like to suggest some other artist/composers that would be great.  Thank you in advance.

15 answers to this question

I'm really partial to Wagner.  I think he's kind of the 'heavy metal' of classical music, lots of energy.  Unfortunately, he was the ofiicial composer of the third reich.

If you are jewish like the old dinosaur then you can skip Wagner. But is all about music and not politics I think , so I wouldn't care. :)

• Like 1

I'm really partial to Wagner.  I think he's kind of the 'heavy metal' of classical music, lots of energy.  Unfortunately, he was the ofiicial composer of the third reich.

If you are jewish like the old dinosaur then you can skip Wagner. But is all about music and not politics I think , so I wouldn't care. :)

very true its all about the music. i really don't care what the guy did or what/who he supported a wonderful piece of music should never be missed  

very true its all about the music. i really don't care what the guy did or what/who he supported a wonderful piece of music should never be missed  

Well actually he didn't do anything wrong but support the regime of this country like every german at that time and to be one of the most famous composers of classical music of all times. But hate and phobia is always there from ignorant people who are very influenced from political interests from somebody else.

• Like 1

depending on what instrumentation you like and what sytles you like i guess it varies alot, however as a classical pianist (and now a rocksmith enthusiast!) i can recommend chopin, as a piano player he is at least 50% of what you will ever be asked to play, for sort of "emotional/sentimental" music look for his nocturnes for crazy skillful and still great music i recommend listening to some of his etudes, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnWo8PxrOR4

Since I'm Finnish I must say Sibelius:

Vivaldi is quite notable.

Pachelbel 

Russians finest: 

Smetana - Moldau is one of the greatest classical songs. I listened this quite much as a kid.