Select all notes of the same pitch?

MilkmanDan

Recently I've been doing a lot of using EOF and the toolkit to transcribe bass arrangements in exotic tunings (Drop C, Eb Drop Db, C# Standard, etc.) into B Standard for use on a 5 string bass.

This generally works well.  Open up the audio in EOF, import the Rocksmith arrangement, change the tuning, and EOF gives the option to automatically transcribe notes.  That works great for many songs, but it always tries to keep notes on the same string.

Sometimes, that makes chords/double stops impossible (without tapping I guess) due to the gap between frets getting too large, or can make sequential notes where you play an open string followed by something high up the fretboard difficult, because, say, an open C requires first fret when the tuning is changed to B.  So, something like 0 0 12 0 0 12 on the low C in Drop C turn into 1 1 13 1 1 13, which can be hard to shift in a quick tempo song.  But if that 13 on C was transcribed to the 3rd fret of A, it would be easy again.

So, what I'm wondering is if there is any way to select all notes of a given pitch, or all notes on a specific fret number on a specific string.  Using the example above, lets say that I want to turn every note on fret 13 of B into fret 3 on A.  Right now, I'm scrolling through the whole song and control-clicking every instance of notes at the 13th fret, then using the Note window to change them up.  That works, but it would be a lot faster if I could automatically select ALL the notes at that position (and/or pitch).

Is there a way to do that that I am missing?  If not, would it be possible to add the feature?

...One more semi-related thing I've noticed is that the EOF options for "transcribe up" and "transcribe down" don't actually keep the pitch of the note the same -- they just move it to the same fret on a higher or lower string.  It would be nice if a variant of that actually transcribed the note while maintaining pitch.  It could warn you if it was impossible to keep that pitch on the string you are trying to transpose to.

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

The "Precise Select Like" function does something similar to what you want. It selects every note that has the same fret and string number as your currently selected note. It will, despite its name, also select those same notes that have a different duration than the note you have selected, and it will also select the same notes that have a technique added to them.

Precise Select Like can be used by pressing Shift + L, or in the Menu under Edit -> Selection.

• Like 1

Big thanks!  I looked in the manual, but didn't find that feature.  Should be exactly what the doctor ordered.

I just converted Deftones Change in the House of Flies to B Standard, and there were 3 specific notes on the B that I needed to transcribe up to the A string, plus a few other straggler things that needed shifting -- took me about 30 minutes of zipping through the whole song to find all the instances.  I think with this the same thing could have been done in less than 5...  But now I know for next time!  :D

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

• 8 months later...

This is a somewhat old thread but I have a question along this line: can I select all notes on a fret with the same duration? I have a number of sustains that last one beat and I want to reduce them to a half beat, ideally without going back to my Guitar pro tab. I tried the other select modes and it doesn't look like it's feasible. But just in case... :)

Thanks,

L

EOF doesn't have deselection functions that pertain to note length, but even then it wouldn't be perfect because in a synced chart, the length of two similar notes (ie. quarter notes) won't be the same in milliseconds in different parts of the song. You can manually select notes without having to alter the GP file and re-import. It's not automatic, but if it only takes a few minutes of clicking that shoudln't be too bad.