BandFuse Customs Research (Is there a better place for this?)

SFenton

C3 released a custom chart for "Love Bites" and he's assuming they got stems from Bandfuse. Even if they did it seems more likely to me that they just recorded audio from in-game instead of having decrypted it.

so you can get stems from recording i hope someone can rip them soon

• Like 1

Just saw this thread.  It was incredible to have BandFuse customs.  Really enjoyed the format and playability.  I'm no help from a tech point-of-view, but I'll be watching closely.  Thanks for all your effort.

I too am watching this with great interest. I really hope there will be more progress with this. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys. Sorry it took so long but I finally have a working prototype for converting songs over to BandFuse. Over the past month I've re-written my entire RIFF serialization code, added support for celt encoding/decoding, and added midi import functionality. I've still got a lot left to implement but I just wanted to give an update.

If you weren't already aware, BandFuse does DLC much differently than RS/RB. Each new package has an index entry which lists every file in the entire BandFuse archive including all previously released DLC. So distributing customs in an STFS package like releases from C3 is out of the question. For now I have a workflow for importing a custom then generating and updating the necessary RIFF files within an archive.

I still need to add tone switching, album art conversion, better tab import, and probably a bunch of other stuff. Right now it just imports song charts from RB3 midi files that include pro guitar/bass tracks. I'm currently looking to either expand on RB3's midi spec for additional tab notation and/or implement an XML/JSON import feature. I'll coordinate with raynebc for EOF support when I get to that point.

In the meantime, check out these gameplay videos of customs in action!

"Bang Your Head (Metal Health)" - Quiet Riot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8c3COvbDE

"When I Come Around" - Green Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHvFKonTGR0

P.S. If anyone knows of any open source or free to distribute libraries for encoding BINK videos please let me know.

• Like 7

@@raynebc any way I could understand this? I don't see that much of benefit from getting Bandfuse on any of the platforms... It's gone for good for me. DLC are dead for them so only way It could be ok to have it is when you've got it from day 1 and all dlc plus you're able to convert RS DLC into bandfuse (if you familiar with bandfuse more and you'd like to see that metro RockBand-like UI. Right?

• Like 1

@@raynebc any way I could understand this? I don't see that much of benefit from getting Bandfuse on any of the platforms... It's gone for good for me. DLC are dead for them so only way It could be ok to have it is when you've got it from day 1 and all dlc plus you're able to convert RS DLC into bandfuse (if you familiar with bandfuse more and you'd like to see that metro RockBand-like UI. Right?

Basically, stems and vocals are the only advantages to BandFuse.  Liking the notation is subjective (I like both games just fine), and I own all the content from BF before it was taken down.

Vocals could go away as an advantage if a theoretical next Rocksmith introduces them, but Rocksmith will never introduce master stems.  They're in too deep to have a separation of content like that.  And I really, really dig the master stems.

• Like 1

@@SFenton well is there more of that for cdlc that you can't have in rocksmith? I'mm certain I can write a single-file stems support for a cdlc i.e. as result you'll got missing audio record for selected arrangement you've selected. yes, you can't adjust separate parts of the mix in mixer but it will be great thing to have as a single file multritracks cdlc.

anther question is do RS team needs to up the prices and loose some of the artists that don't wanna stems to be used? I'm sure they've got master tracks for their needs for a recent DLC, but I may be wrong :)

what are you like the most when you play along stereo mix -the part you're playing yourself?

I'm perfectly fine just lowering the volume and playing on my own with little bit of help of the drummer and bassist I'm able to hear in the mix.
I should play those multitracks that avalible here (converted from RB mostly but still good)... C:

• Like 1

@@Alex360 Think of it this way- if I want an isolated stem for each path in Rocksmith, I need at *least* three variants of the song- one for stemless guitar, one for stemless rhythm, one for stemless bass.

The main issue with Rocksmith never getting it is that they're 1,000+ tracks in- there'd just be too much chaos and confusion (e.g., why does this recent DLC have stems, but this old one from a song that came out in 2015 doesn't, or if we get new songs from say the 1960s, why don't those have stems?) for the average consumer, and Rock Band is already running into those problems with their hardcore base.  Plus, it's just been proven that throughout the years, people are fine with the way Rocksmith runs on just the one mastered track.  And I am too!  I just really like the idea of master stems in these games (Rock Band and Guitar Hero too!) and BandFuse just neatly wraps it up.

Are there less amps and tones?  Sure.  Could the interface be better?  You bet.  But I just... *like* the game a lot, I guess.  And I'm excited to produce high-quality content for it.

• Like 1

4 player gameplay (lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass, vocals) is interesting and on a couple occasions I jammed out with all of my room mates. I do still tend to prefer traditional tab style notation, but RB3's weakness in that regard was it's hard to sight-read because you get so little time to see the tab before you have to play it. Music video is also fun for bystanders to watch. Stems do make a big difference in that it's easy for me to hear how bad my playing is (playing alongside RB3 with a bass amp, the in-game bass is muted).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

hopefully we'll see some custom form Disturbed,Godsmack,Five finger Death punch,Seether,Skillet,Red,Europe,Linkin park,Demon hunter,Bon Jovi,Kiss,Damn yankees,Danger Danger,Cradle of flith,Nightwish,the Offspring,Children of bodom,Def leppard,Killswitch Engage,papa roach and Shinedown.