From ascii tab to GP

torkk

I work this way(because I'm not exripienecd with GP at all)

• get the text tab
  • build beat map in EOF
  • Set TS
  • Enter actual tab b hands with all the things,
  • Export psarc\xml to gp using flogher dlc2tab program.
  • profit

I actually use GP for tabbing the song from the ASCII, since I prefer to work using GP rather than EOF. I might seem a drag, but since most songs repeat riffs and use similar structures, once you figure out the patterns the Copy/Paste function comes in very handy.

• Administrator

Both EOF or guitar pro works fine but in different way, GP allow to quickly listen to the tab you are created which is great for making sure you have the correct note but a bit weak when it comes to perfect rhythm while EOF is very usefull when it come to rhythm since you can easily drag notes around to sync them perfectly but doesn't really works well when it comes to figuring out if the notes are correct (MIDI tones aren't perfect and way worse than GP playback).

So i'll use each tool depending on what i need to find out (most of time rhythm isn't well indicated on ASCII tab while note might be overall correct) but if the note are wrong EOF won't help you correct the tab on the fly as easily as GP.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I've gone from sheet music notation to Guitar Pro a few times, which seems much better than tab to GP.  Mainly because sheet music shows note durations and rests, so it tends to overcome that Guitar Pro weakness in rhythm that Firekorn mentioned.

If you really understand music theory well you can probably guess at those things correctly from a tab ... but I am definitely lacking there so it takes a lot of trial and (mostly) error to attempt to get that stuff right with only tab notation to work from.

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

The solution seem so obvious to me in Guitar Pro 6, you have the option in file menu to "import" ascii, all you have to do is correct the bar duration as many ascii tabs have errors. 

• Like 1

The solution seem so obvious to me in Guitar Pro 6, you have the option in file menu to "import" ascii, all you have to do is correct the bar duration as many ascii tabs have errors. 

Didn't know that, will have to check it out!

Specifically www.tooltabs.net.  If one is going to test a feature, they might as well push it to the limit, and I figure Tool will be a solid test with all the variations in time signatures and other weirdness...

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

• Administrator

The problem with ASCII import is that it need some formatting first to have a clear result that is better than just writing it down yourself directly. The problem is coming from the tab itself, if it's a good tab the ascii import will do a good job but if the tab is lacking a lot of information the import won't create that information out of nowhere.

It's not powerfull enough to be really usefull for all i've seen.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity