Learning by numbered frets - will that be a long term barrier?

jonahga

Question

Folks. Apologies if someone has already answered this one somewhere.

I've just started with Rocksmith 2014 (PC version) over the last week and I'm finding it fantastic. It's has rejuvenated my enthusiasm to learn.

One thing I was just wondering was, does anyone believe that learning the fret board simply by numbered positions may be a barrier to future understanding of the place of certain actual notes on each string? Perhaps there are specific tutorials that cover this subject that I haven't come across yet? Or perhaps people would advise that it really doesn't matter and you gain a long term training 'by ear' which means that you never need to know specifically what individual notes you are playing and perhaps you just develop a 'feel' for it. Almost like learning to whistle, you never need to know what note you're whistling you just do it. This is my most outstanding concern about learning guitar this way. Of course some may advise going and learning the fret board outside Rocksmith to remove the potential problem?

It wouldn't be a big problem. Either way I'm loving Rocksmith 2014

Any advice or comments gratefully received. Cheers jonahga

18 answers to this question

• Administrator

A problem, not necessarily. Many great guitarist don't know much about note name and all while others know a great deal about the theory behind what they are doing.

You can easily just used fret number if you feel like it, there's no real barrier.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Don't worry about it. Beginning with fret numbers (or tabs, basically) will make your life easier in the beginning, and when the time comes where you feel you want to understand the neck better, just go ahead and learn the note names and some theory. I would say it's worth it, and I've kind of started doing it myself now, but take one step at a time :)

• Like 2

Rocksmith to Guitar Pro exporter: http://www.rocksmithtotab.de

• Developer

Welcome to the community.

If or when you want to learn the notes on the neck of the guitar you can install a custom guitar inlay with notes into the game.  You can find a  tutorial and program here for making inlays.  You can also generate a custom inlay with note names from CST.

fret-notes.jpg

• Like 8

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

Fantastic feedback guys. Thanks very much. All really helpful. I'll check out the custom inlay tutorials but also bear in mind the other advice. Would it be rude to ask Master Peon where or whether I might be able to get hold of the custom inlay file shown in the screenshot. I gather it will be a .psarc file?

Welcome to the community.

If or when you want to learn the notes on the neck of the guitar you can install a custom guitar inlay with notes into the game.  You can find a  tutorial and program here for making inlays.  You can also generate a custom inlay with note names from CST.

Do you know if there's a custom inlay anywhere for those playing with the inverted fretboard? ie. With High E(Purple) as the upper most string on the screen.

• Like 2

(Hello Hello) Hey thanks for that. I think you're right, I'm probably overthinking it. BTW I'm not a complete beginner, I've been playing on and off for 20 years but always just chords until now. However I have a real long way to go before I'm anything like approaching what you might call a fair guitarist. I'll keep going for a few months and make a judgement at some point if I think I should learn the note positions or not. Thanks to all

• Developer

Fantastic feedback guys. Thanks very much. All really helpful. I'll check out the custom inlay tutorials but also bear in mind the other advice. Would it be rude to ask Master Peon where or whether I might be able to get hold of the custom inlay file shown in the screenshot. I gather it will be a .psarc file?

You can make your own custom inlay psarc with either CST or CGT programs.  All the templates that you need to produce custom inlays can be found here.  The inlay template with the fret notes is already included with CST so that may be easiest to use for you to produce your fret note inlay psarc for now.  Look for the "Inlay Creator" tab in CST, then under "Saved Templates", select "Fret_Notes_Cozy1".  Hit "Generate Package".  It is that easy to produce a custom inlay.  No need to share psarc files when you can make your own in two clicks.  Give it a try.

The custom inlay psarc files go in your DLC folder.  I like to keep all my inlays in a separate subfolder named "inlays".  The game will find them as long as they are somewhere inside your DLC folder.  Have fun learning.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

• Developer

Do you know if there's a custom inlay anywhere for those playing with the inverted fretboard? ie. With High E(Purple) as the upper most string on the screen.

I have not seen an inverted fret notes inlay but you can make one very easily if you know a little bit of Photoshop.  Here is the tutorial and the Photoshop artwork for the fret notes inlay.  If you are successful at making an inverted fret notes inlay.  You can send me the inlay template and I will host it.

• Developer

Hi all

@Cozy I cannot download tour Midi2rsxlm

Is it only a project?

TY

Off topic ... Looks like you found my new Midi2RsXml droplet application for converting Midi files into CDLC songs.   Here are all details including new links.

Magna Charter  - (Re coloured strings on ebay) At first I thought that was a crazy idea. Having thought about it though I reckon it's not a bad plan. Although there's a danger of the brain 'locking in' to the colours making it more difficult to play other guitars with regular uncoloured strings in the future, I think the short term benefits will outweigh the potential downsides. Has anyone any experience of these Neon Strings? I've already jumped in with both feet and bought a few sets from ebay. Hopefully someone's not going to say they give terrible tone or something like that. Cheers

Hi, I'll chime in. You can learn what note is on which fret thanks to power chords (or other chords). Each chord has it's name (like D5 or E3), and just like you may think the letter means what note you're playing (note of first string you hit), so if you're playing power chord on low E string, it's called E5, cause you're playing E power chord. When you go to 1st fret of low E, it's called F5, so that's F. Then you see G5 on 3rd fret, but what's on 2nd? If there is no letter between (F and G) then it's #, so we have F# on 2nd fret of low E.

Well that's what I learned from Return to Castle Chordead, it's really good at learning chords by name, then you should take a look at lesson "Tuning without tuner" (or sth like that). Then you'll learn that 5th fret of each string is a note (octave lower) from higher open string (below on Rocksmith picture). So on low E 5th fret we have A, on A 5th we have D, on D 5th fret we have G, on G 4th (!) fret we have B, on B 5th fret we have E. As you know octave chords, now you know that high e string is 2 octaves higher then low E. Pretty neat.

I spend some time to realize that, but all I needed was Return to Castle Chordead, Tuning lesson, and a couple of songs, which had same chord on different fret of other string (like Metric - Sick Muse with E5). It's not as straight forward as custom inlays, and need some thought and time to master, but allows you to learn that without other tools. Rocksmith comes again as awesome tool!

• Like 3

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures