automatic tune gear?

rummhamm87

Question

Hey there, just wondering if anyone knows if there is some type of automatic tuner that you can plug your guitar into, set the gear to a certain tuning and the output will play as if the strings were tuned to that so you don't have to manually change the tuning? I know there's the peavey at-200 that does that and there are automatic tuners that replace your machine heads but I thought I saw something you can plug your guitar into before.  

10 answers to this question

@@tron001 I've looked into tronical tuner and the reviews from users gave it a decent review. It's not perfect from what i've seen but very close to the tuning you want. It also looks like the ATG-1 floor pedal isn't out yet. I also would prefer to use a pedal over installing something in my guitar. @@Teinashu That's perfect and excatly what I'm looking for. Thank you.

@@Teinashu This looks cool but my question is does this allow you to be able to switch from say Standard tuning to D standard and then from that to something like DADGAD and then to something else like open G or do you have to have the strings tuned to something first and then you can really do certain tunings off of the actual tuning on your guitar. 

Anything you plug your guitar into is a pitch-shifter – the device can't know which strings you're using, so you can't change from one tuning type to another. It just shifts all sound up or down.

Also, there will be delay, loss in quality, or both. Pitch-shifting (without time-shifting) doesn't always sound very good, even when you do it on a computer. And the pedal has to do it real-time. Another problem is that the "original" acoustic sound from your guitar is going to sound out of tune and disturb you unless you play quite loud or use (closed or semi-open) headphones.

Ymmv, but in my opinion it's much less hassle to just tune the guitar. It doesn't take that long.

• Like 1

I received one of these as a gift, which basically has a system equivalent to the Tronical posted above and I kind of hate it. It also makes any manual tuning a chore. I guess if you were trying to do some sort of massive retuning mid song this would be an ok option and way better then just using a pedal to change pitch.

I received one of these as a gift, which basically has a system equivalent to the Tronical posted above and I kind of hate it. It also makes any manual tuning a chore. I guess if you were trying to do some sort of massive retuning mid song this would be an ok option and way better then just using a pedal to change pitch.

That is a Tronical. They make them for Gibson/Epiphone. I have one installed on my Gibson LP and I think it's great. I don't find manual tuning to be a problem at all. Sure, the tuning heads are a little stiffer, but they turn just fine. You can also use the up/down buttons to have the Tronical move the heads independantly for you.

It's one of the main guitars I use for playing RS because I can switch tunings in between songs in a matter of seconds. If it wasn't for the Tronical I'd likely never play any songs in D standard, Open A, or Open G.

What you're talking about is digital emulation, there is nothing analog that I know of that can do it without being obscenely expensive (I.E. get someone to write you a custom program). The algorithm isn't that hard, you could use the harmonics of the string (no note you play on guitar is pure) or more simply set a certain range and use tabs to get a predictive program to guess what note you're going for. But emulations like this are usually crap. 

Now if you used a midi guitar pick up you could have perfect control. But you would still be dealing with sampled sounds and those, aside from the seriously high end (2k plus per instrument) samples are just no substitute for the real thing. Especially when they try to emulate an analogue instrument.

That is a Tronical. They make them for Gibson/Epiphone. I have one installed on my Gibson LP and I think it's great. I don't find manual tuning to be a problem at all. Sure, the tuning heads are a little stiffer, but they turn just fine. You can also use the up/down buttons to have the Tronical move the heads independantly for you.

It's one of the main guitars I use for playing RS because I can switch tunings in between songs in a matter of seconds. If it wasn't for the Tronical I'd likely never play any songs in D standard, Open A, or Open G.

I would like to get a tronical tuner but the machine heads on my guitar are all at different heights. I looked at all the templates and it looks like it wouldn't work for me.