Tutorial for converting .dat to .psarc?

MVega

Question

My understanding is it's possible for me to take an RS2012 .dat file and convert it to an RS2014 .psarc. (It looks like the author of the .dat has bailed and won't be doing this himself.)

Is there a tutorial somewhere explaining step-by-step how to do this?

It might be a gentler way into making customs for me, since I wouldn't have to start from scratch.

10 answers to this question

Well, I managed to unpack the .dat -- progress!

I'm not sure of where to go from here though. I've read through the guide, but it's talking about starting a project from scratch. Since I'm using an existing .dat, shouldn't the work in EoF already be done (for example)?

Maybe someone's already made a video of how to do this?

Sorry if I need a little handholding! I'm usually pretty good at figuring out software... but there's a lot of different pieces to this....

yeah, because creating customs is really not easy if you want to make really good custom it takes much time, well after creating over 100 customs it looks easier for me now :lol: :lol:

If you unpacked DAT, first of all find

XML files (notes) just like PART REAL_BASS.xml PART REAL_GUITAR.xml etc...(may be different names, but the same directory to look at)

because you can import the files to EOF by "Rocksmith import" option

this is the most important step :D

Of course first you need to open EOF and just create "new song":

select: FILE --> NEW and select music file: OGG (from RS1 directory of unpacked files) and write: ARTIST and TITLE, then you can start adding the XML files (by importing them)

Ah, okay, that's what I thought.

And yeah, I can only guess the amount of time it takes. I wish I were able to figure out tab on my own -- there are tons of songs I'd like to play in Rocksmith, with no tab (or GuitarPro) available.

I'll have some free time over the next week, I'm going to try starting out with a .dat conversion (since I believe the original creator has abandoned the whole CDLC project after the Smithy's blowup).

Nope! I want to convert the Velvet Underground's Pale Blue Eyes to play on RS2014  (I have RS2012, but the thought of using its riff repeater makes me want to cry.)

After that one, I'll probably try something from scratch. Just downloaded a bunch of GP files.

Anyway, I've now watched the video tutorial, I think I understand the process.

This one: http://customsforge.com/topic/841-how-to-make-cdlc-full-in-depth-tut-completed/

I think in one of the videos he kind of shows this -- in the second video, I think, he reopens the file in EOF (because he forgot to make the preview .wav) : it looks like you need to tell EoF to open the Rocksmith file.

It would be nice if someone could prepare a brief tutorial showing how to do this part. Unpacking is pretty straight forward -- it'd be nice to know which files goes where and when.

One question I have already is, in the unpacked folder with the files from the .dat, I have two audio files -- one of them is labeled as "fixed". (Also, I'm guessing there were no preview files for RS2012? Because I don't have one labeled as "preview").

Someone told me that if I want to convert it to .Psarc I need to make new tones and not to use the tones you unpackes from the .dat. Do you have any idea how can I compare between RS2012 and RS2014 gear so I make the same tone Using RS2014 Gear?

Thx For Your Helping.