How to set tuning in eof slightly sharp or b of standard??

GuitarGuy85

Question

6 answers to this question

That's actually done with the toolkit, if I'm not mistaken.You have the option to either bump the tuning frequency (A440 is standard) up or down.

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

If it's only slightly off, why not retune the song itself to standard pitch?

I think the pitch differences with a lot of old recordings was because of the technology back then. Different tuners, but also different speeds of tape decks and whatever. But these songs really were meant to be played in A440 / E standard tuning.

(edited to fix typo! :oops: )

I think the pitch differences with a lot of old recordings was because of the technology back then. Different tuners, but also different speeds of tape decks and whatever. But these songs really were meant to be played in A400 / E standard tuning.

Concert pitch is 440 Hz :wink: But i agree that most of the detunes from older recordings may be due to a lack in recording technology.

If it's only slightly off, why not retune the song itself to standard pitch?

Any suggestions for a good software to do it?

IMO it would be easier to tune your guitar to the original recording (at least one string), and then use tuner to find out what the frequency is (A432 or A434 etc.).Then you can set it properly in the toolkit, and you're done. Depending on how easy the software would be to use/acquire, this could save a lot more time.

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

Concert pitch is 440 Hz :wink: But i agree that most of the detunes from older recordings may be due to a lack in recording technology.Any suggestions for a good software to do it?

Oops! Typo!

I think any audio editing software can do this. I still use Cool Edit Pro (pre-Adobe Audition) for most of my recording -- it's really easy to raise or lower pitch with it.

(I'll admit that I HATE to retune my guitar... )