Hmm. Should admins edit our posts?

DevXen

Should Admins be able to Edit posts they deem as unnecessary?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Admins should be allowed to edit your posts to remove into they feel is unnecessary?

• Yes, I don't see anything wrong with admins editing my posts for any reason.
    • No. I don't think our posts should be edited at all unless we edit them ourselves.
    • Yes, But only in Limited situations (Broken Rule, Legal Issues, Harrassment, Etc)
    • I don't care.

Question

I just saw one of my posts: http://customsforge.com/topic/16189-anyone-know-what-happened-to-the-file-manager-post/?do=findComment&comment=127133 was edited to remove the 'unnecessary large quote'. It was quoted in a direct response to that message, to let that person know, I was replying to him. you know. as one of the main reason people quote replies.

But it got me thinking. just cause an admin feels like the quote isn't necessary. should they really be allowed to edit them? - Don't get me wrong, I don't care the quote was actually removed. but rather the point. and moving forward is that something we should be concerned about? - if the 'quote' feature isn't meant to be used, cause someone feels like it creates an unnecessarily long reply. then why wouldn't the quote feature just be disabled, if that is indeed the problem. also who's to say what is important or not from one person to the next? 

The bottom line is, I don't know if i care to post or be active in the forums anymore. if my posts can get changed, with no real reason behind it, other than someone feels like it wasn't important. I mean if that is going to, or can happen? why care to spend the time to be active in the forums anyways, right?

I dunno. I thought i'd other thoughts on it, So what do you guys think?

16 answers to this question

Doesn't bother me a bit. Actually, when I quote, I often remove all but one or two lines that make the point and show what I am responding to. I have other locations where I can post "protected" messages, if I cared that much about saying something, but on here, if someone wants to modify a message ... knock yourself out.

• Like 1

While i wouldn't condone the editing of a post in the forums.  I can see why an admin/mod would edit a posted custom in the database, such as for spelling mistakes, capitalization or punctuation, things that would not change the post, but only serve to enhance its readability.

If someone edits a post I make I would rather it just be deleted. It would no longer be my post if someone else injects their intent on my ramblings. This is bad. I would hope you could see why. Now if the post showed it was edited and by whom, and show what was edited that would be better.

• Administrator

Only admin have this right and they use it rarely and most of the time to get rid of non-legal stuff. When they do it, they always indicate the reason why they did what they did.

With my 1k post, i've never even been edited by an admin on any message i wrote. In your case of the quote, it was a message that was one or two post before yours and the quote was quite big and useless, i don't think the edit was usefull either but it's not that big of a deal...

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• Administrator

I just saw one of my posts: http://customsforge.com/topic/16189-anyone-know-what-happened-to-the-file-manager-post/?do=findComment&comment=127133 was edited to remove the 'unnecessary large quote'. It was quoted in a direct response to that message, to let that person know, I was replying to him. you know. as one of the main reason people quote replies.

But it got me thinking. just cause an admin feels like the quote isn't necessary. should they really be allowed to edit them? - Don't get me wrong, I don't care the quote was actually removed. but rather the point. and moving forward is that something we should be concerned about? - if the 'quote' feature isn't meant to be used, cause someone feels like it creates an unnecessarily long reply. then why wouldn't the quote feature just be disabled, if that is indeed the problem. also who's to say what is important or not from one person to the next? 

The bottom line is, I don't know if i care to post or be active in the forums anymore. if my posts can get changed, with no real reason behind it, other than someone feels like it wasn't important. I mean if that is going to, or can happen? why care to spend the time to be active in the forums anyways, right?

Is this long quote necessary? 

No it isn't 

Doesn't bother me a bit. Actually, when I quote, I often remove all but one or two lines that make the point and show what I am responding to. 

Was this bit of quote relevant to the point I'm making?

Yet it is.

Point being. When quoting someone just quote the part that you really really need there. Otherwise if you just want to address someone use the @Mention function. 

In other cases if a post gets edited it's because of someone breaking our rules.

Should you disagree with an edit feel free to pm the one responsible for it.

• Like 4

Community Admin | Send me a message if you are having trouble with something | Teinashu's Hall of Glory
Steam -

firekorn: There was no legal issues with my post, he just didn't like the 'way it was quoted' but it was still just quoted.

Teinashu: Necessary or not, there was no rule broken. and it was changed only cause he didn't like seeing it. which put his personal opinion and feelings over the post. just as you did with your examples.

again, i don't care that it was removed, as much as what those actions will mean in the future. it boils down to an admin. - or many not liking what was posted, and changed it to better suit themselves. that's whats bothering me. not even an explaination, of saying hey this bothers me, i don't like it cause of this and this. nope. just a 'i don't like that, so i'm changing it, screw what anyone else thinks'

that's my only issue.

if a rule was broken, if a law was broken, if something could of put CF In legal issues, then i agree. protect the site, but at least then it's justified. Just cause you or the other admin, didn't like it. and it wasn't aesthetically pleasing to look at. i fail to see how that is any kind of justification for editing posts *Shrug*

• Like 2

• Administrator

@@DevXen i agree with you that the edit was not really usefull in this specific case but it's the first time i see this and even edit of post by admin aren't that common to make a big deal out of that specific case.

In many cases quotes are badly use while mention are not used enough in my opinion but that's not the debat here.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@DevXen Your poll doesn't have enough options.

I went with "Yes", but I meant "admins are allowed to edit posts for any useful reason" (not simply "any" reason).

In your specific case, I feel like the edit was justified.

"You shouldn't quote the post directly above yours" (unless it is very long and you want to answer to one specific point) - this doesn't have to be a board rule, but I feel like it is one of the "unwritten" rules we should all stick to.

To notify the person instead of quoting, you can always use the @feature.

that's whats bothering me. not even an explaination, of saying hey this bothers me, i don't like it cause of this and this. nope.

I think ForgeOn left a note "**Edited by ForgeOn, removed large unnecessary quote". So this is all the explanation necessary.

The only problem here is that you were the one person on whom this unwritten rule was actually forced upon, while we see hundreds of wrong examples every day.

Anyway I do apreciate beeing active in a community where such things are looked after - even if it is only from time to time.

While I can somehow understand your anger, I honestly feel like you are overreacting a little bit with this discussion.

Regards and peace everyone

Azrael

• Like 2

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Is this long quote necessary? 

No it isn't 

Doesn't bother me a bit. Actually, when I quote, I often remove all but one or two lines that make the point and show what I am responding to. 

Was this bit of quote relevant to the point I'm making?

Yet it is.

Point being. When quoting someone just quote the part that you really really need there. Otherwise if you just want to address someone use the @Mention function. 

In other cases if a post gets edited it's because of someone breaking our rules.

Should you disagree with an edit feel free to pm the one responsible for it.

but .. Tein!! long quotes makes my post bigger :D

• Like 1

Just my personal opinion, unless content is strictly against the rules (piracy, beating the legal horse to death, intentional/extreme personal attacks, etc), it should not be edited. Sure, your formatting is bad and you should feel bad, but that's the way you chose to communicate yourself. Whether or not something is irrelevant is pretty subjective, so I don't believe that mods/admins/devs should use rules that are highly subjective. I'm not the owner of the site however.

Just remember, people are less inclined to read a wall of text so keeping things condensed greatly helps in getting your point across.

Also, this poll is horrible. The options are one extreme or the other. 

@@DevXen , to be clear, I did not edit the content of your post. All of your words have remained exactly as you wrote them. I simply removed a quote and replaced it with a mention to call attention to the quoted poster, staying true to the purpose of the quote while cleaning up and improving the readability of the thread. I'm sorry if you felt this was somehow abusive but as you can see by all of the comments in this thread, what I did was basically to enforce an unwritten rule. Maybe in the future we will actually write it down...

In any case, thank you for continuing this issue in it's own thread! We are always happy to have our users voice there opinions on any and all issues, especially when it's done appropriately, as you have here.

@@Azrael, I completely agree that this kind of poor use of quoting happens all the time and passes without enforcement. The reality is that no one wants to spend the time to police such a minor thing. I just happened to be following that thread and noticed an easy fix for keeping the (currently very short) thread a bit cleaner. I also pointed this out in that thread.

In any case I'm glad this thread was made and I hope it will help DevXen to feel better about this situation and the community and continue to take part. :)

Edit: By the way I voted for the new poll item "Yes, But only in Limited situations (Broken Rule, Legal Issues, Harrassment, Etc)" with which I would include failure to follow appropriate forum etiquette in such circumstances that it is done transparently and does not alter the message of the post. Maybe something to this effect warrants another poll option. ;)

• Like 2

• Administrator

I edit posts to fix color problems between themes, legal issues, broken rules, or to clean up formatting as mentioned above.

• Like 3

"Just remember: when something breaks, kick it as hard as you fucking can"

-Trent Reznor
Support Me (Via Patreon)

I had pondered to become more active here as someone very new to the bass....but this turn of events gives me pause. Thank you for pointing this out. We have to call this what it is - Selective Censorship. Now this is THEIR site and they can police it how THEY see fit... But it's a slippery slope to apply one's or a group's standards to everyone. Especially if it's a "unwritten" rule. A quote without context can be taken out of context. I for one have no issue reading a wall of text re posted (And imho that is not a "wall of text"). I do it for a living(News) and it is hard to boil down an issue to a singular line of text and still maintain intent. I want to know what the context of the quote is, and without the surrounding portions, the quote may not make have the intended meaning. I understand piracy, or personal attacks needing to be dealt with, but what he posted is not an issue to me. Choose to read it, or not -  But let US make the choice to read it or not. That is all I am trying to get at. Sorry, I'm very passionate about the subjects like censorship. Especially in light of how helpful and amazing this site has been as a learning tool. Now ends my wall of text.

• Like 1

I was a Super mod (some call them global mods) of one of the largest cover site forums for about 10 years and had often felt the need to edit post's of members and tidy threads as they can look tatty fast and be hard to follow. The post's us mere mortals see is only a small percentage of the post that need to be pruned out on a daily basis to prevent spam and the like building up, you get post's and threads that need to be approved etc and this takes time.

So to speed things up mods/smods and or admins  edit posts to make them easier to scan through, it is never intended to offend it is just purely to make there jobs (that they do for free and can often be thankless) easier, so their time can be better spent else where.

I for one am more than happy for a mod to edit any post i make if it makes there job easier :)

• Like 2

Guitars: ESP LTD F-54 Bass, Tanglewood Curbow4 Bass, Stagg BC300-N Bass, Yamaha BBN5bk (5String), ESP LTD AX-360, Plus a cheapo no name acoustic