First CDLC at 90%, what to polish ?

ArguZ

Question

Good evening..

I finally found some time to sit down, open pandoras box and start forging my first CDLC..

Ohhh boyyy...i guess the first one is hard for everyone but with the great tutorials by Alex360, Plum, Sceptic and others and a really great on i found on YT myself i came up with a pretty decent song.

I have good audio material, nice tab which I changed in Tux and reformatted in GoPlayAlong for roughly match the audio.

SonicVisualizer gave me a rock solid beat map for this ever changing rpm and even the DDC delivered decent results.

But...

I am sure there is a few things I can do before releasing to the public.

Especially because I am a big fan of quality work i want others to have a nice experience playing it.

So here my question : Would someone of the veterans please have a look at it ?

http://we.tl/cJ45hWj7BP

I think phrasing, tech notes and such might what is lacking at this moment.

My biggest concern is that the way the difficulty levels change is not really logical to me.

I would like to archive something where it keeps the main notes only, the stuff played on a full beat ...and truncates the ones in between.

Right now it feels more like it hides notes more randomly.

It's more about understanding next actions then technical problems i think, even if I have to mention that this EoF program is one of the hardest to use piece of code since the 80s ;) 

14 answers to this question

• Administrator

Your problem with the DDC is probably because your first beat of the measure isn't on the real first beat in the music, you have an offset of 2 beat.

The solo is on the rhythm arrangement apparently... and i'm not sure it's perfectly right.

I can't really say more because i haven't RS installed on this PC and just looked at the tab generated by Rocksmith to Tab tool.

Just another thing, you didn't use any handshape or arpeggios marking in your project, which would be really usefull since you have a lot of arpeggios in there.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Ahhhh...that explains also why the tone change comes to early !! 

Yes the solo is on the rhythm part, i wanted to keep the main guitar part clean...i will swap them...and hopefully find some chords for the rhythm 

I need to read about hand shapes and arpeggios, how to place them, where and why....

Thanks for the look :)

The timing of the tone changes is not affected by the beats.

Many (me included) make the wrong first assumption that you have to select a beat and then add the tone change marker.

Instead the tone change is placed where the green vertical line in the left part of the screen (the current position of the song playback) is located.

Press the buttons pageup or pagedown on your keyboard to seek to the correct beat. (ideally you would place the tone change just slightly before the first note with the new tone, not exactly on it).

If you go for perfection and want your song really close to official quality, you might also be interested to have the metronome/drummstick ticks a count-in bar before your first note that you can hear in official songs.

Check out this tutorial if you want to:

http://customsforge.com/topic/13688-how-to-add-a-metronome-to-any-song-metronome-bonus-arrangement/

It will tell you how to best design your leading silence, have the measures in sync with the music (what firekorn mentioned) and add the count-in ticks inside EOF.

The folder you shared doesn't contain the .ogg, so loading up the eof file doesn't include the song itself - no sound!

Anyway, thanks for seeking advice! Too many people just release their stuff and develop bad habbits. It would be great to tell the name of the song you are charting and e.g. the tuning ;-)

Won't tune to D standard now, but I would look at the eof file again, if you load up a new version and include the .ogg.

Adding Arpeggios (shows the name of the chord ingame next to the note highway) or Handshapes (no chord name, somewhat "cleaner" look) is super easy:

• Select the notes that should be affected
  • Select "Note"->"Pro Guitar"->"Arpegio"->"Mark" for Arpegios OR
  • Select "Note"->"Rocksmith"->"Handshape"->"Mark" for Handshapes

This will produce "ghost" chords. they don't actually show up ingame, but you can define the finger positions for the chord.

• Like 3

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

All right, cool...

Tomorrow I will start doing some these things...

As much as I understand em at least...

That leading and trailing silence seems to be important, i neglected than.

Then I will work on the beats and try to wrap my head around these arps and fingers.

This song is a mega classic in Denmark, it deserves as much love as it gave to the people back then...or still does, actually :)

Hi guys,

so, this was a busy day and as much as i wanna curse that EditorOnSpeed or what it's called, i got a technically better version now.

I found out why my music is off and it had to do with the order you need to load the beat map and adjust the delay for the song and yadadayada..

So this one looks much better and plays much nicer on 20% difficulty and here is where i am..

I am just a humble bass guy..

I tried the arpeggio strg+shift+G thing but it puzzles me a lot.

Where exactly would you start and end it ? 

When the arp goes up ? When it goes down or only when the fingering changes ?

And how should I know the fingering ? 

I do not play chords, I play bass :-D 

So would it be too much to asked if one of the masters had a look, check the technical aspects like sync and all and maybe place some of the arps in the .eof document ?

I included everything needed in the zip this time, and I promise to not give up, but i need some more guitar player driven input at this time i think.

Thanks in advance.

still working on it...sorry...not good

Its is so frustrating to suck....

Somehow I must have slipped my bass track...

because of the beatmap I can not just copy all , delete and past it, it will be all out of sync.

is there a way to slide a whole track according to a uneven beatmap or do i have to start over again ?

Re-snap won't work, of course.

Anyway...i did some arpeggios, is that what you are talking about ? 

http://we.tl/6h7HfhRaZM

UPDATE :

Finally some success :-D 

Here is the first version i would consider playing...

Please have a look and tell me what to do next...personally i find these arpeggios incredibly confusing, but yes, ones the hand shape is on the neck its just strumming up and down

http://we.tl/BwyMXBQeD4

EOF takes some patience to learn, but once you know all your techniques it is a very powerful tool :-)

Didn't test it ingame, but looked at the EOF project.

Arpeggios: Seem to be fine now. As long as the finger positions remain the same, you can include all the nodes in one Arpeggio. When the chord changes, you start the next Arpeggio.

About the fingering: EOF will ask you to fill in the fingering automatically for known chords. For the rest, well, use your imagination what seems most comfortable.

A tiny thing about sustains: Sustains should not last until the beginning of the next note, because this might block the view ingame when notes are ontop of each other. Choose "Grid Snap" = 1/32 or 1/16 and shorten the sustains one grid step. Only those notes that have a sustain and are then repeated should have a full sustain.

You have a lot of tech notes in the chart that will not work ingame as expected. Tech notes are created automatically on import of the gp5 file to make complex bends and such things possible.

You should have a look at this tutorial: http://customsforge.com/topic/890-tech-notes-tutorial-authoring-complex-bends-and-more/

Press F4 to view the tech notes. When you spot red notes, they won't have any effect, most likely because they are at a wrong position.

Maybe you used "snap to grid" at some point? The tech notes are not effected by this and might become unsynced. Maybe it isn't your fault though - sometimes there are rounding errors in the position setting in milliseconds.

So remember: Not all tech notes have to be grid snapped, but you have to check all of them to see what effect they are supposed to have.

Moreover, you can delete a couple of the tech notes - the less tech notes, the better (more "flexible" or forgiving) the note regognition.

In bar #116, you could delete most of them, because we simply want a bend and then a bend + release.

• On the first note, delete all the tech notes and use a "regular" bend instead with CRTL+B - enter 2 half steps and you're done. The visual representation ingame should be nearly the same, but the regonition would be better.
  • One the second note, delete all but the tech note for starting the bend [/2] and the last tech note [/0] on its sustain tail (this is for the release). This way Rocksmith will be less strict about the timing of the release
  • Moreover, in the gp5 file at this point the author wrote a annotation "bend & bull-off" but made the note on the 5th fret a ghost note for some reason. by selecting the note and hitting "n" you have to remove the ghost status and set "PO" for pull-off instead.
  • I saved the changed I did in this bar so you can have a look as an example!

It will take some time until you see those details and will be even harder if you don't even play the arrangement.

About the bass track. I don't completely understand your question, but it does look fucked up^^

But I was able to simply import the bass from the gp5 file again and then everything was synced perfectly.

On saving there are a lot of errors and warnings. Idealy all will be gone exept the one "mark unpitched vocals as playable freestyle"

• Set fingering positions correctly
  • Set fret hand positions correctly (this can be automated by clicking Track-Rocksmith-Fret Hand Positions-Generate all diffs (you might want to improve it manually afterwards, but it should be ok)
  • You have slides without ending positions. Those are unpitched slides, because gp5 doesn't store the info where to end a unpitched slide. you will have to remove the "regular" slide under note-pro guitar and then define the unpitched slide under note-rocksmith. The exact ending position is not very important, but the direction (up or down the neck) is! so choose at least 3 frets up or down the neck - whatever sounds best.
  • On bends with tech notes you can remove the regular bend to prevent another warning

Last but not least your vocals are fucked up :P

• You have to mark those vocals that are supposed to show up in one line by selecting them all (hold SHIFT and click on first and last word) and hitting CTRL+M (it generates a blue bar above them) - now the vocal preview will actually show your vocals!
  • Please (!) use sustains in your vocals. Usually you can just close all the gaps between the words in one line by maxing the sustains. This will make the vocals look much nicer ingame (instead of having each of them flash a split second)
  • I improved the first two lines as an example.

Also I added count-in metronome tick-events into the bar #2 by pressing SHIFT+E.

Wow... there is a lot to do here... and there maybe even more, but I stop at this point^^

Your folder with my changes: (bar 116, bar 2, vocals, reimported bass)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9q5ja3h3i860bry/AABCtzsa22M01mGOz1Do193Ta?dl=0

But please only look at those as an example and continue working with your own files - I might have messed up some other stuff!

Good luck!

• Like 1

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

If you have any interest, you can check out this topic for some ideas. Although Azrael covered a lot already  :D

• Like 1

My customs can be found here.

Don't be that guy who takes the .gpx file available on a tab sharing website, slaps it together in EOF without editing it, then releases it without a second thought. Please test and refine your customs, for the good of everyone on CF.

All right...

I actually got the lyrics done....they look nice, have sustains, behave like a proper Karaoke machine...one down...

Right now I am trying to fix the bends for the bass but I can't figure out what to do...

In the track the bands are fine, using a purple line but the bend starts at the note already.

I would like to sustain the note and only do the bend in the end.

SO i thought deleting the  original bend and adding a tech note to the last quarter of the sustain would bend it but it doesn't.

It cuts it off in a weird way.

On the left side the new attempt , on the right side the original bend from the start of the note.

The other question i have is how to generate difficulties for RS ?

When I just use DDC it does not what i want...In my mind I would create lets say 4 difficulties 

One is all the notes, one only notes on full beats like 1,2,3,4 , one is only 1 + 3 and one is only on the notes on the full bar.

The DDC leaves a lot of complicated notes behind even on a 20% setting.

Do i need to fix that with cataloging or by manually creating difficulties in EoF ?

Hello again..

So , after a moment of clarity and figuring out that i was confusing bends and slides ( insert face palm here ) i actually managed to make a version with almost no complaints on saving.

The one thing it asks now is if it should reset the offset (midi delay) to zero which might fuck up the whole timing so i don't dare.

The next step is to make proper difficulties.

i do not like the way DDC is working at this point.

But I said so in the last post already.

Can anyone please chime in and explain either the catalog function or another way how to thin the tracks based on full, half, quarter and 8th notes ? 

Because that is what i intent to do...

Delete all notes/chords that are not on the measures....

makes sense to me.

Here in the package is a playable version and all source files if someone wants to check it out.

http://we.tl/kfebF05Duh

• Administrator

You need to update your eof version if you have the warning about offset.

About DD, I'm not sure anyone doesn't use DDC so it might be hard to find someone that now how it works and it's a real big thing to do that would take you a big amount of time even with eof selection capabilities.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Right now I am trying to fix the bends for the bass but I can't figure out what to do...

In the track the bands are fine, using a purple line but the bend starts at the note already.

I would like to sustain the note and only do the bend in the end.

SO i thought deleting the  original bend and adding a tech note to the last quarter of the sustain would bend it but it doesn't.

It cuts it off in a weird way.

On the left side the new attempt , on the right side the original bend from the start of the note.

Hi ArguZ,

You can use Link Next when editing a note to add a bend or slide at the end of a sustain.  Link Next will hide the note head, and in game the sustained note will just tail-off with the slide/bend.  See below:

Linknext%20slide.JPG

In your pic above, it looks like you've used link next, but your tech note is a bend, not a slide.  You could eliminate the need of a tech note by building your slide this way, see below:

This will appear in game as a sustain on fret 5, and then slide down to fret 1, and sustain until the next note (in this example, on fret 2).  None of the link next notes will display note heads.

Linknext%20slide%202.JPG

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.

Thanks guys :) 

Progress has been made and all my slides are now correctly timed at the end of the sustains (like in Black Hole Sun) 

Also i fixed all the infinite slides for the guitar track HO and PO looking good, V and others seem to work, even the evil fingering on some of the arpeggios make sense now.

So last question before the release :

Can I make different difficulties in EoF that will carry on to RockSmith yes or no ? 

And if Yes , how ?

I am willing to manual delete notes if there is no automatism.

Right now, even with proper line up to grid and all DDC thins the track almost randomly.

I would like to generate space between notes like classic guitar school does.

Only play notes on a bar(very easy), or on a bar and the third beat (easy), on the beats (medium), on the half beats too (hard) and then everything.

Should I the EoF Levels for that , copy all in and thin it, or how is the process ?

And what is that catalog function doing exactly...

That sound like the way of doing it properly, i just could not find a tutorial that made sense to me.

Cheers

Sascha