Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 66

Mortalo

@@Mortalo --

I think that is the most straightforward solution, wouldn't require any rule changes or special cases at all (although I think that scrapping the 3x 98% rule like you mentioned might be best).  BUT, it would require us to be quite careful about how we rate difficulty levels.  I'm glad you found my ratings helpful sometimes, although that just confirms for me that I need to be extra careful and consistent about that... And more diligent about trying songs out and posting my thoughts early in the week, if not in advance while songs are still on the selection list!

Although, I think it might be helpful to reserve final judgement on difficulty until near the end of a week, because then we basically know that rating a song as 7+ difficulty (a "legit" Advanced) would result in X people (with 99.5% or whatever threshold) being bumped up to MC.  If X is a large list, that is an indicator that maybe the song should should have a difficulty rating under 7, because 1) it must not be TOO hard if a lot of people are going to level up on it, and 2) that would give them the option of not leveling up.

Take week 61, with Judas Priest Judas Rising (3 players, 2 of them adv. class at that point with >99.5) or week 53 Offspring Pretty Fly (7 players, 4 of them adv. class with >99.5).  Both would be a flag that the song should probably be rated with a difficulty <7 (seems like Pretty Fly was, can't remember about Judas).

So, I'll try to be more active in difficulty rating all the songs early in the week, if not being proactive and trying stuff on the selection list...  But I definitely think that it will be good to have a chance to reconsider those ratings at the end of the week they are selected in.

Combine all that with another round of mulligans allowed for current MC Bass players that want out, and I think it might end up being a fair, longterm fix (if we get the difficulty ratings right).

• Like 3

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

I've only had a little time this afternoon to practice before lunch so gave Mother May I a quick run through... I've had a good few go's of this a while back and I've not played it for a couple of months so for a first bash on a cold start it's not a great score but I did find it easier to play than when I was learning it those months ago which was promising :) hopefully I can beat my old high score at least. Have tried the Clive Barker track and really enjoyed that but when I tried it in SA I got to the last 30 seconds and garnered 3 beautiful Red stars for my awesome efforts :) so no score on that yet... but, I think I can DO that one! :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=381764282

• Like 4

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

@@Mortalo --

Combine all that with another round of mulligans allowed for current MC Bass players that want out, and I think it might end up being a fair, longterm fix (if we get the difficulty ratings right).

Yeah... what about scratching the 3x rule for bass adv->mc and requiring an active players vote on achieved 99.5 to level up.

I am sure noone is gonna stay adv to dominate the class. The rating is still gonna be finally decided on rather ends of the week often, that way noone ever would have to fear being leveled up there and go for his best possible score....

• Like 1

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

@@then3verend You played Carl Barker - you don't have to, it counts as both Adv and MC. Though we won't stop you :)

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

I was told the last time we discussed this, that my being levelled down to Adv would be unfair on the other adv players because I'd have apparently won every week but again I'm finding I'm not scoring anywhere at all now, I voluntarily said I'd suck up the losing in MC and I really wish I hadn't . That's really quite irritating, especially as there are MC bassists like Blaze and Then3ver who by all means are the epitome of MC... Folk like me are just not in that league. I can't help but think it's a bit embarrassing for the hardcore players with years of well developed skill and training under their belts to be winning because some of their competitors still have training wheels on.

I know what you mean. I'm starting to feel like I'm transitioning into MC lead, but that's a really intimidating thing to do when I've been putting MC scores up and not coming anywhere near the competition. I know full well that it's going to be months before I get to where the likes of fripp and Nacho are now. And who knows where they'll be by then?!  :blink:

Coming into another really busy week, but I've got my first runs:

http://i.imgur.com/RIJMlH0.jpg

Coheed is one of my favourite bands of all time, it's about time they show up in the competition. :) Had these guys blaring on my iPod most of my freshman year, seen them live a couple times too. Every musician is just mindblowing. This is my first time playing this particular track, but in the ten-ish other Coheed customs I have, the rhythm is usually just as fun (or even more so) than the lead, so I'm looking forward to playing the hell out of this one.

http://i.imgur.com/O8iEgTE.jpg

I'm one of those people who doesn't mind Blazikiller's picks constantly coming up because we have really similar music taste, haha. First time hearing this song/band, quite the pleasant surprise. In terms of difficulty, I'd say it rides the line between MC and Advanced - it's no Buckethead or Steve Vai, but a couple parts in it transcend Advanced class. Accuracies will naturally look quite inflated due to the nature of the song (ultra-fast chord picks with little switching), but I think that actually nailing this is an MC task.

EDIT: Oops, I'm super late to the party on this.

:ph34r:

• Like 4

Gamut now active again on Youtube!

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Come join us in the Rocksmith Championship!

@@then3verend you still have some 0.x% to @@w4rl3x

Advanced Lead - 95.65%, 161 streak

That ending is tough, D bends...

EDIT: Oops, I'm super late to the party on this.

:ph34r:

Actually you took the Advanced lead on that song. From MC participants it's @Nacholede with the best score. There will be 2 special winners for this song - one Advanced (Beg-Adv) and one MasterClass. This Song leaderboard is after bass. (Rodman won't be taking Carl Barker lead into his Ranking consideration, though you can keep your Die Hard status playing that song)

• Like 3

My valid score from yd, network fixed...

http://i57.tinypic.com/534x08.jpg

• Like 5

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-

Managed this earlier than expected, but theres still room to improve.

Mother May I Lead MM 97,25%, 378 streak

(I think there is a slight sync error in the middle part of that song, atleast it feels like it.)

@@Mortalo totaly fuck those D-Bends up, too!

Obligatory Carl Barker screenshot, im still not really comfortable with this song 

Carl Barker Lead

And the bane of all Guitar-Shops! 

Sweet Child O' Mine 90,58%, 149 streak

Still awesome song thou. Yeah... needs work on the solo.

cheerio!

• Like 4

I was thinking about all the bass suggestions and all the possible changes to the scoring and ranking system we could adjust for the master class. And I was thinking, specifically for bass, since the issue lies there predominantly. But, we could throw in a new class altogether that goes up and above Master and uses songs that strongly feature bass or are bass solos that challenge the players (namely myself, neverend and maybe some others) in technical skill, speed, etc. One example was Anaesthesia by Metallica as MilkManDan had mentioned earlier, but the problem with that song was that it has no guitar parts. Other examples are bass solo stuff by virtuosos such as Jaco, Wooten, Evan Brewer, etc.

On top of that, since many of the songs would be extremely challenging, I think it could be something that changes over a two week or monthly basis to give whoevers interested the time to practice and learn the song, but still participate in the regular championship and life.

Thoughts @@Mortalo? And anybody else?

Master Class and Advanced could stay the same, or have some ranking adjustments and the new class for bass or maybe other paths as well would simply go above 10 so we don't have to review how we look at rating the songs currently.

@@Francoel19 also kicked me to play again :D

great score man

and here it is, but it seems a worse note recognition, have random misses through the whole song

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150127/3lf9wdqj.jpg

• Like 3
 YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

Scores for all but Coheed so far. Might tune down and play it after my diploma exam on Wednesday.

Pink Floyd:

http://i.imgur.com/DKkeJ3W.png

http://i.imgur.com/SwVrEXR.png

http://i.imgur.com/d6fUqIx.png

RHCP:

http://i.imgur.com/HTSfApG.png

http://i.imgur.com/Jb0yXtC.png

Carl Barker:

Taking the lead on bass for now, but if anybody wants to go after it I won't be improving my bass score this week.

http://i.imgur.com/ULITXEG.png

http://i.imgur.com/FXUk79B.png

http://i.imgur.com/SrSdAA1.png

Almost have the intro down on lead. Getting it down will clear those strikes and give my score a bit of a boost. Even if it's not counting for leading roles.

And just to double check with the ranks for Rhythm and Lead, Im being counted for the Adv. categories, right?

• Like 8

http://i.imgur.com/7rKNjRc.jpg

Welcome!! Great score!!

You can compete in adv and mc too, if you want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Since I mentioned working on giving Bass song difficulty ratings, here's some early thoughts.  I'll try to keep my comments in these posts limited to difficulty and justifications ONLY, not my enjoyment level of the song or anything as I've done in the past.  I'm sure I'll continue ramble about that other stuff too, I'll just try to keep it in separate posts from now on...

(Small print:  These are my subjective opinions as always, and now WITH a conscious top-end adjustment so that difficulty 9-10 is "pretty hard even for a quite skilled player like Blazi or n3ver", rather than "hard for me".  Subject to adjustment later in the week as scores progress!)

Beginner Bass:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I think this one is actually pretty tough for a beginner song.  It isn't too fast or anything, but it has notes on all strings, various durations requiring reasonable skill with muting, hammer-ons, frethand position is not entirely static, etc.  Most importantly, the song requires pretty quick and accurate skipping from string to string, which is a skill that bass players develop slower than guitar players, I think.  All that being said, it isn't a HARD song, it is just pretty tough compared to what I think of as a Beginner song.

My preliminary difficulty rating:  4 (equivalent to easy Intermediate level)

Intermediate Bass:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Suck My Kiss

Medium-toughish intermediate song.  Some speed but not too much.  Lots of frethand shifting, including slides.  Majority of the song is played on 1-2 strings, but some notes require some string skipping.  But, almost all of that is progressing up the strings rather than skipping from E to D or G.  By RHCP standards, pretty easy -- no slap/pop or solo-like scale progressions or extensive techniques.

My preliminary difficulty rating:  5 (average Intermediate level)

Advanced Bass:

Coheed and Cambria - Mother May I

I'm trying to bias on the low side for this song because of the Advanced to MC transition difficulties.  So, it would be nice to rate this as a 6 or lower so it wouldn't count for progression to MC with >= 99.5% accuracy.  ...But, I think this is legitimately a pretty tough one.  Fairly fast, good amount of fancy frethand fingerwork required, plenty of shifting, some string skipping and techniques.  I think it is a legit Advanced song.

My preliminary difficulty rating:  7 (legit Advanced, but closer to Int than MC -- note that this one in particular should be subject to further consideration at the end of the week)

MC Bass:

Dance Gavin Dance - Carl Barker

Toughest of the lot, but I got over a 99% on first attempt, without ever even hearing the song before (no RR or slowdown).  A bit trickier frethand skills required, and more shifting than the Advanced song, but otherwise pretty similar.  Still, we've had plenty of harder songs at the MC level before, so I think I'd class this as a tough Advanced.

My preliminary difficulty rating:  7.5 (just harder than above, enough to make it closer to MC than Int, but I think best fit is to call it Advanced)

I'll try to continue that format in the future, and I will copy this post and update it with justification for any changes in the last day or so of the week.

• Like 4

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

@@Blazikiller You were in Intermediate, but you can be moved to Advanced if you think that it's better for you.

focusing on the main topic of this whole thing...

http://i61.tinypic.com/nx58yb.jpg

:D

• Like 3