Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 66

Mortalo

I'm pumped about my win! ...(in beginner lead)...  I might actually have to enter in that category a bit more often in addition to giving the MC Bass the ol' college try.

As one of the MC Bass "also ran"s, I thought I'd chime in and say that I don't mind @@then3verend and@@Blazikiller dominating the class.  I'm happier to come in 4th-5th in the category after seeing what the really good players can do, as opposed to coming in 1st or 2nd mainly due to low participation (as it was for a while when I first started participating).  Things are heating up, we're getting more players, and nobody can claim that wins in those hot classes (like MC Bass) are "by default" -- very impressive levels of effort put in by the big contenders!

That being said, with the level of competition in the MC Bass class in particular (or maybe I'm just most aware of it there since I'm somewhere in the mid-bottom of the mosh pit) I think it would maybe be nice to see a few really tough songs selected.  Not necessarily every week, but a few songs that go further to really define what a 10 on the difficulty scale is.  I think that would have a couple of good outcomes:

1) On the hardest stuff, the winner will probably be decided by Score Attack accuracy down to hundredths of a percent.  As opposed to multiple people with 100% accuracy decided by score, or even 100% accuracy decided by Master Mode score ('cuz hard score just won't cut it).

That being "better" is subjective, but I think I would prefer it that way most of the time, and I'd imagine that the elite guys might prefer an accuracy shootout over a memorization/MM exhausting challenge like they had last week.  Although I don't want to put words in their mouths for them, so maybe they could comment?

2) If we establish a higher average difficulty level for MC level songs (difficulty 9-10), we could similarly adjust what defines Advanced (difficulty 7-8).  That might tend to push down the assigned difficulty of some of the Advanced songs into the range of 4-6, so that they would technically be "Intermediate" difficulty and therefore not force a level up to MC on 100% runs.  I think that would help clarify the progression from Advanced to MC, and help with the issue that in the bass path people still tend to get bumped up from Advanced to MC before they are really ready for it / want to.

Looking at the leaderboard, there were 10 participants in MC Bass last week, 4 in Advanced, and 2 in Intermediate.  I think that tends to suggest that progression through the classes happens a bit faster than would be ideal.  I know some things have been done to try to put the brakes on that before, but it seems like a bit more might be good.

I think you do a great job with the organizing @@Mortalo, so don't take any of that as digs at you.  It is on us participants to put a lot of diversity in the song selection list, as well as to be as consistent as possible with our difficulty ranking suggestions.  So, to "do my part", I'm going to think about what customs I've played that are good and fun but particularly difficult, and try to pick some to add to the selection list.  I'm also going to readjust my difficulty rating scale, so that only those really hard songs get a 9-10 (MC).  And, by extending that down, some of the songs that I would have pegged as Advanced before (7-8) would drop down to Intermediate, which would allow them to be "no/optional level up songs" for the Advanced tier.

I don't mean to suggest that things be like the bass equivalent of "MC Lead = Joe Satriani every week" or anything, but I think that those two small shifts (difficulty ratings on a scale of "will @@Blazikiller and @@then3verend find this hard" instead of "do I find this hard" and a few more songs that crank the difficulty up to 11) might have a pretty big and good impact.

Don't mean to rock the boat, and again I'm actually quite happy with where I'm at and how things are going -- but I think some further tweaks to adjust the rate of class progression (especially for bass) might help out a lot of participants.

In the vein of more challenging bass I think we need more Primus, and .Les Claypool, and it is hard to beat his rhythmic embrace....

On a side note, I can't do that shit...

I only read the first few paragraphs, as always, of this. It was far too much to go further. if I missed something I apologize.....Damn Bourbon.

• Like 1

@@Blazikiller

Eh, Hardcore is a hit and miss for me(Fall of troy vs. Billy Talent)

I can't really find the groove in those genres, hence why I'm not the biggest fan.

Again, good week last week, let's agree not to push each other to our limits like that again, k? :)

Ya ya for sure, it definitely has it's hits and misses and the "post-hardcore" genre is very widely defined and has a huge variety from things like Fall of Troy and Hail the Sun to Dance Gavin Dance, Alexisonfire, etc. The groove can be tough with some weird time and syncopated rhythms, but I love it haha.

Ya, agreed. That was a little ridiculous and I don't think I could push that much again haha. We'll try and keep it more sanity friendly and maybe a bit more fair to the other mc bassists here.

Do you folk play on a real bass, or are you running emulated on the guitar? Always wondered...

I have a cheap Rogue SX100 Bass, I switch between that and emulating my Epiphone with a set of .13's(whichever works with me that day)

I usually reserve my Dean Razorback for guitar only due to the Floyd Rose bridge, but yesterday was the first I really tried to use it, and while the detection is spot on, I usually have to tune it about 4 times if i switch for RS to get 100% accuracy

I have a very expensive, supposedly, P-Bass and this stuff is hard as can be for me. I was praying you were playing this on a nice skinny neck guitar where speed was easier. With this new found knowledge, damn you or whatever your equivalent is.......

• Like 1

{snip}

I only read the first few paragraphs, as always, of this. It was far too much to go further. if I missed something I apologize.....Damn Bourbon.

I ramble...  It's "my thing".  :D

I'm OK with this, just do not expect me to read it all.

Also, I have had to spell-check every post. I might need to cut back on the Bourbon. I am misspelling easy words like misspelling.

• Like 6

For possible hard MC Bass, maybe some Tool?

A lot of the Tool customs are iffy on sync due to the really weird time signatures, changes, etc.  Even the people that really know their way around EOF and making customs can have a lot of trouble...  But, the custom for 46 & 2 seems pretty solid in that regard, and the chart looks good to my less-than-master eye:

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/46-2-r1766

I managed an 85% on a first try with some riff repeater, and 87% on a full-speed 2nd attempt.  Seems like it might be hard enough to make the big guns break a sweat?

--EDIT--

Or Edgar Winter Group's Frankensteinhttp://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/frankenstein-r5798

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

@@MilkmanDan Some good suggestions, I found a problem with 46 & 2 with the recognition of the D octave chord. As in none of them registered, and there are a handful of the chord about halfway through and at the end of the song. Sight-read at about 95% in Learn-A-Song, with all the chords missed after doing a shortlived Score Attack where I failed at the first octave chord phrases since none of them registered.

But I'm definitely behind what you're saying. I'd rather have some tougher songs to battle over actual accuracy and struggle for that sweet 100% rather than just battle for score over a song we've clearly already mastered to a ludicrous level.

• Like 2

I felt that Carl Barker is way too crazy for Advanced Lead, so I would like to hear some Advanced members comment on that.

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

@@MilkmanDan Some good suggestions, I found a problem with 46 & 2 with the recognition of the D octave chord. As in none of them registered, and there are a handful of the chord about halfway through and at the end of the song. Sight-read at about 95% in Learn-A-Song, with all the chords missed after doing a shortlived Score Attack where I failed at the first octave chord phrases since none of them registered.

But I'm definitely behind what you're saying. I'd rather have some tougher songs to battle over actual accuracy and struggle for that sweet 100% rather than just battle for score over a song we've clearly already mastered to a ludicrous level.

I had trouble with that chord also.  Another poster (maybe the author?) speculated that it might be because two of the strings in the chord are playing the same note (DADG 0507, so both middle strings are the same D, the root is an octave lower, and the G string is an octave higher).  Maybe something screwy about the detection with that?  If that is the issue, perhaps it could be charted as 05x7 to see if that resolves the problem.

...But still, 95% on a sight read with probably most of the misses coming as a result of the bad detection on that chord...  Maybe the difficulty there just won't cut it in terms of the "11" that I am (we are) looking for!  :lol:

Schism is another possibility by Tool.  Can't remember how well-synced that one is.  Lateralus is awesome, but not really insane-o HARD, and the sync is ... rough.

I also thought of Anesthesia, Cliff Burton's bass solo from Metallica's Kill 'Em All album.  ...But, bass solo, no guitar, won't work.  Orion is another Cliff Burton special, sort of my personal "holy grail" song.  But after a good practice session on a good day, I can pull off 96-97% on that one, so I tend to think that you bass gods might end up in a 100% fight on it again.

Maybe Geddy Lee/Rush, but all the songs I really know by them (and know are the kind of HARD we want) are official DLC.  Or some Geezer Butler from Sabbath, but a lot of those are in C# which I consider less than ideal for Championship (but might work as a 1-off HARDMODE song with the right selection I guess).

Those are what jump to mind from my personal sphere of music that I listen to/play (or attempt to play) much.  I guess googling "hardest bass songs" should have come to mind earlier, but here's a result of that search:

http://www.thetoptens.com/hardest-bass-riffs/

OK, I'll stop spamming about this only-loosely-related-to-the-task-at-hand stuff.  Sorry for going off on a tangent...

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

not my song... diehard maintained.....

http://i59.tinypic.com/4jugk1.jpg

checkin my rhy path now... not sure what to focus on that week, yet....

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

Being a competitor that's floating about in a limbo of the unranking, I'm liking @@MilkmanDan's suggestion. I just hope for once I can place on the board! :D

• Like 2

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

not my song either :)

http://i58.tinypic.com/a2u2bl.jpg

pray for bass

• Like 1

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-

Being a competitor that's floating about in a limbo of the unranking, I'm liking @@MilkmanDan's suggestion. I just hope for once I can place on the board! :D

I keep tellin you - its so much nicer @ the uncool advanced bass kids!

• Like 3

Finally - that grooves, thx whoevere picked that one - cant wait to get to my real bass and real computer to have a real run on that (played on laptop w emu bass watching ski on tv)

http://i58.tinypic.com/rjf41v.jpg

• Like 4

Ok, first scores:

PF, bass, 98.97%

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49Qq-EFnmrKSmkyR1dMM3prUVk/view?usp=sharing

RHCP, bass, 92%

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49Qq-EFnmrKekh0UW1laC0tUUk/view?usp=sharing

C&C, bass, 94%

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49Qq-EFnmrKd3djeHVOeWVWUk0/view?usp=sharing

My target for this week is to get PF to 100% and get a decent score in C&C.  I like RHCP, but not that song - although it is probably one of the easiest bass songs of theirs that I've tried.  So I may give it another go later in the week...

I'm taking my full sized bass with me this week as well.  I just hope I get time to play it.  :D

• Like 5

allright, real bass, SA, lts mf go!

http://i59.tinypic.com/vfk1np.jpg

• Like 3

Yesterday's scores, finally had a time to post them (before there were also some Steam problems I encountered):

Beginner Lead - 83%, 40 streak

Intermediate Rhythm - 79%, 39 streak

Beginner Bass - 98.97%, 166 streak

This C chords.

Intermediate Lead - 82%, 63 streak

Intermediate Bass - 96%, 143 streak

I played that song 2 times. I don't recognize myself :wacko:

Advanced Lead - 84%, 173 streak

Beginner Rhythm - 94%, 152 streak

Advanced Bass - 97.26%, 271 streak

Not bad.

MasterClass Lead - 85%, 108 streak

MasterClass Bass - 98.19%, 247 streak

Lead was crazy, I felt it's a little bit too much for Advanced.

• Like 3

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

I keep tellin you - its so much nicer @ the uncool advanced bass kids!

It is but for some reason I got locked in to MC :) It's like running in lead shoes through mud for weeks. Thinking aloud here: What if to be MC and remain MC you had to fill a quotient? For instance to become MC you have to score 100% 4 weeks running, to stay there you have to maintain 98% or above 3 weeks running?

• Like 2

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

motivated myself to fight the peppers...

3/4 so far

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ynfgwh.jpg

• Like 3

I'm pumped about my win! ...(in beginner lead)...  I might actually have to enter in that category a bit more often in addition to giving the MC Bass the ol' college try.

As one of the MC Bass "also ran"s, I thought I'd chime in and say that I don't mind @@then3verend and@@Blazikiller dominating the class.  I'm happier to come in 4th-5th in the category after seeing what the really good players can do, as opposed to coming in 1st or 2nd mainly due to low participation (as it was for a while when I first started participating).  Things are heating up, we're getting more players, and nobody can claim that wins in those hot classes (like MC Bass) are "by default" -- very impressive levels of effort put in by the big contenders!

That being said, with the level of competition in the MC Bass class in particular (or maybe I'm just most aware of it there since I'm somewhere in the mid-bottom of the mosh pit) I think it would maybe be nice to see a few really tough songs selected.  Not necessarily every week, but a few songs that go further to really define what a 10 on the difficulty scale is.  I think that would have a couple of good outcomes:

1) On the hardest stuff, the winner will probably be decided by Score Attack accuracy down to hundredths of a percent.  As opposed to multiple people with 100% accuracy decided by score, or even 100% accuracy decided by Master Mode score ('cuz hard score just won't cut it).

That being "better" is subjective, but I think I would prefer it that way most of the time, and I'd imagine that the elite guys might prefer an accuracy shootout over a memorization/MM exhausting challenge like they had last week.  Although I don't want to put words in their mouths for them, so maybe they could comment?

2) If we establish a higher average difficulty level for MC level songs (difficulty 9-10), we could similarly adjust what defines Advanced (difficulty 7-8).  That might tend to push down the assigned difficulty of some of the Advanced songs into the range of 4-6, so that they would technically be "Intermediate" difficulty and therefore not force a level up to MC on 100% runs.  I think that would help clarify the progression from Advanced to MC, and help with the issue that in the bass path people still tend to get bumped up from Advanced to MC before they are really ready for it / want to.

Looking at the leaderboard, there were 10 participants in MC Bass last week, 4 in Advanced, and 2 in Intermediate.  I think that tends to suggest that progression through the classes happens a bit faster than would be ideal.  I know some things have been done to try to put the brakes on that before, but it seems like a bit more might be good.

I think you do a great job with the organizing @@Mortalo, so don't take any of that as digs at you.  It is on us participants to put a lot of diversity in the song selection list, as well as to be as consistent as possible with our difficulty ranking suggestions.  So, to "do my part", I'm going to think about what customs I've played that are good and fun but particularly difficult, and try to pick some to add to the selection list.  I'm also going to readjust my difficulty rating scale, so that only those really hard songs get a 9-10 (MC).  And, by extending that down, some of the songs that I would have pegged as Advanced before (7-8) would drop down to Intermediate, which would allow them to be "no/optional level up songs" for the Advanced tier.

I don't mean to suggest that things be like the bass equivalent of "MC Lead = Joe Satriani every week" or anything, but I think that those two small shifts (difficulty ratings on a scale of "will @@Blazikiller and @@then3verend find this hard" instead of "do I find this hard" and a few more songs that crank the difficulty up to 11) might have a pretty big and good impact.

Don't mean to rock the boat, and again I'm actually quite happy with where I'm at and how things are going -- but I think some further tweaks to adjust the rate of class progression (especially for bass) might help out a lot of participants.

I used to have a song with that in mind(Mr.Big-addicted to that rush) but the RR is missing, so no dice.

If you have a chance, check that song out, btw, thats the bass in the beginning

Ever since RATM I've actually been trying to request two for any lead and two for MC Bass to keep the difficulty up

• Like 2

Many nice scores on all songs :)