Fingering for Single Notes? - Fingerpicking

immgr

I am planning to create CDLCs for a number of fingerpicking songs.  It would be an obvious benefit to the audience to be able to show the fingering of individual notes, at least one time for the initial riffs.  I have searched the forums but I have not found advice on how to indicate fingering for single notes within EOF.  Is this even possible?  (I know how to do it for chords.) 

Looking forward to more fingerpicking songs while I still have nails.

CTRL+SHIFT+H is used for the handshape feature.  If you are holding a chord and hitting the notes individually this is used like at 1:48 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE1OXfwskbA#t=1m48s

If you're not holding down a chord and just want to show fingerings for all single notes, keep in mind Rocksmith official songs don't do this probably cause it's a bit messy.  But I suppose it would work if you CTRL+SHIFT+H each note individually.

EDIT:

Tried it, doesn't work.  Handshape  doesn't work when only 1 note is involved.

Edited by Rockfirstlast
  • Like 1

Fingerpicking is a nightmare in RS14.  It invariably ends up a mess, and the player really needs to be confident with his/her chords in order to make it work. 

It's not something which Rocksmith is a good "teaching tool" for.

Maybe in RS16 they can clear up the arpeggios sections (removing that stupid vertical line which is attached to every note in the arpeggio), or let chord names appear on screen with the handshape feature (like you see in EoF).

Although I've just complained about them, I think the way you need to go is to use arpeggios.  At least that way you can have the finger positions visible at the beginning of the picked chord.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Also, you CAN enter fingering info on single notes, but not for showing anything ingame.  It's used when auto-generating hand positions.  Anything with a fingering of 1 tells the fret hand position generator to anchor down on that fret.

That's a nice precision, because then you don't have to worry to get the manually entered FHP erased by auto-generated FHP.

Would it be possible to make this work with other fingerings, i.e.if I want a note played by the 3 finger, because of an upcoming pull off, I could just mark the fingering 3.

To make it work now, I have to define a ghostnote 2 frets lower before, and mark it as fingering 1 

I never considered adding FHP generation logic that took other fingers into account. The index finger handling seemed to make lots of sense since that's what the fret hand position represents, but for other fingers it may be easiest to trick the automatic FHP logic with ghost notes like you mentioned.

• Administrator

I know that the FHP generation logic is sometimes really far from the reality especially with HO/PO and even worse with Tapping part and also a bit with slides.

Adding ghost note seems a lot of work for a result that would be as good as modifying the generated FHP at the end of the creation process as i do for the moment...

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Well, Firekorn, it happened to me that I defined manual FHP, which is really a time consumimg pain, and then sometime later, doing an update I forgot about it, and let the automated process loose. Manual should always override and not be erased by automated FHP.

FHP 1 defined in a Ghostnote gives me that insurance. 

If a tab is not available for import and and notes are being entered manually, it can help to use ghost notes as you go along.  Mostly if you plan on copy/pasting a bunch of repeating sections while taking care of hand positions at the same time.

I know that feeling of accidentally overwriting FHP's.  Sucks.