Question about Tabs and creating music

WindowedTree

Question

12 answers to this question

A lot of the times I prefer working in EOF by manually entering the tab, it gives me more control over it, I've imported guitar pro tabs before, but a lot of them tend to be a bit of mess and sometimes I've spent as long tidying them up as it would to type in manually.

A lot of the times I prefer working in EOF by manually entering the tab, it gives me more control over it, I've imported guitar pro tabs before, but a lot of them tend to be a bit of mess and sometimes I've spent as long tidying them up as it would to type in manually.

So say for example I want to make Smells Like Teen Spirit, but there's only a tab for it and it looks like this:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/n/nirvana/smells_like_teen_spirit_ver3_tab.htm

Now, would I have to import that manually into EOF or should I use it in Guitar pro first?  I've seen also a program called tabledit, does that work as well?

Also is there a certain method of importing the tabs? 

If you choose to enter directly into EOF, this is how it is done.  (If you like to hear playback of the notes while editing, stick with guitarpro)

Before you do anything, you need a beatmap.  FYI one has already been ripped by the people at the frets on fire website (you have to register to view): http://customsforge.com/topic/2882-the-third-way-to-chart-customs-with-guitar-herorockbandpsfrets-on-fire-templates/

After you have your beatmap while on the PARTREALGUITAR or PARTREALGUITAR22 arrangement right click where the first note should go on the grid.  Press f to bring up an entry box with 3 columns.  The first column is where you will enter the chord.  In the second column enter which fingers you use to play the chord.  In the third column check the boxes if you want to mute the string with your left hand.  Do this for every note, but once you complete a riff you can copy/paste it as much as you like.

If you choose to enter directly into EOF, this is how it is done.  (If you like to hear playback of the notes while editing, stick with guitarpro)

Before you do anything, you need a beatmap.  FYI one has already been ripped by the people at the frets on fire website (you have to register to view): http://customsforge.com/topic/2882-the-third-way-to-chart-customs-with-guitar-herorockbandpsfrets-on-fire-templates/

After you have your beatmap while on the PARTREALGUITAR or PARTREALGUITAR22 arrangement right click where the first note should go on the grid.  Press f to bring up an entry box with 3 columns.  The first column is where you will enter the chord.  In the second column enter which fingers you use to play the chord.  In the third column check the boxes if you want to mute the string with your left hand.  Do this for every note, but once you complete a riff you can copy/paste it as much as you like.

So I basically have to convert the tab file into MIDI correct? I mean I've seen how people do the tabs and i'm honestly confused by it. I'm so used to regular notes to me Tab seems like a jumbled mess. 

Like say I have a song that I really like and want to use, and unfortunately its only in tabs and not in power tab or guitar pro. Do I basically have to go through all of that just to get it to work?

When you have a guitar pro file you can import stuff easily.  If you only have an ascii tab from the internet/pdf/magazine, yeah, a lot of work is involved.

So would you say in your opinion that most of the tracks on here are either done with guitar pro or with regular tabs?

Also what steps are involved with using onto Ascii tabs? 

Yup, lot's of guitar pro imports.  If by "regular tab" you mean ascii tab without any timing info in it, then yeah, those usually get CREATED in guitar pro, then IMPORTED into EOF (although again, you could just skip guitarpro and enter the notes directly into EOF).

Jump four posts up for a description on how to create notes in EOF.  You'd enter notes one by one and fill in the fret/handshape/etc information given to you from your ascii tab.

If this seems like a bit too much at once, back up a bit and check out the uploaded songs in the search.  Find a song you know really well like the back of your hand.  To keep things simple, find one without DD, looks well done in the playthrough video, and doesn't have a lot of crazy technical stuff going on.

Unpack it and import it into EOF (search how to unpack).  Now you have a completed project you can examine.  Press F1 to bring up a keyboard shortcut list and click help to read the built in tutorial.Press the space bar to listen to it, and maybe that will clear everything up how a song should look.

Yup, lot's of guitar pro imports.  If by "regular tab" you mean ascii tab without any timing info in it, then yeah, those usually get CREATED in guitar pro, then IMPORTED into EOF (although again, you could just skip guitarpro and enter the notes directly into EOF).

Jump four posts up for a description on how to create notes in EOF.  You'd enter notes one by one and fill in the fret/handshape/etc information given to you from your ascii tab.

If this seems like a bit too much at once, back up a bit and check out the uploaded songs in the search.  Find a song you know really well like the back of your hand.  To keep things simple, find one without DD, looks well done in the playthrough video, and doesn't have a lot of crazy technical stuff going on.

Unpack it and import it into EOF (search how to unpack).  Now you have a completed project you can examine.  Press F1 to bring up a keyboard shortcut list and click help to read the built in tutorial.Press the space bar to listen to it, and maybe that will clear everything up how a song should look.

One last thing. So basically how would I say import this into guitar pro: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/n/nirvana/smells_like_teen_spirit_ver3_tab.htm

Would I have to copy all of it and paste it in or something?

If you only had that ascii tab, you are not able to import or copy paste anything into GP.  You have to create the guitar pro file by entering the chords, one by one.  That ascii tab does not give you any timing information.  You'd have to listen to the song ask yourself when entering each note "is this a whole/quarter/eight/etc note?".