Resolving Riff Repeater Section Problem

immgr

I have just starting creating CDLCs for Rocksmith and I'm having a blast.  Most of you are light-years ahead of me in terms of EOF knowledge, but I thought I would share this anyway in case it helps someone else out there who is starting out.  Please chime in with any corrections or additions to my thoughts below.

Over the past year, I have found the Riff Repeater to be critical to my use and enjoyment of Rocksmith.  So, in creating CDLCs, I want to make sure that RR works in each of the songs.  (I know that many of you also utilize the Dynamic Difficulty option, but I have not found it to be very useful myself and I find the procedure for coding CDLCs with quality DD to be difficult).  

Unfortunately, I have spent many hours over the past few weeks trying to get RR to work correctly in my songs.  Many times, some sections of the song are inaccessible.  I searched these forums and the internet for answers and thought I was following the right procedure, but I was having very inconsistent results.  After doing quite a few experiments over the past few days I discovered my problem.

It turns out that, in all cases where I was having a problem, a note at the start of the section was not snapped to the corresponding beat.  I thought that they all were, but they were one or two thousands of a second ahead of the beat.  It was hard to tell unless you looked very, very closely.  I didn't discover this visually, but by examining the .XML file with a text editor as Chlipouni suggested in a post earlier this year.  I have no idea how, through the editing process, the notes could end up being slightly off beat.  From now on, I will always have the Menu/Song/Highlight Non Grid Snapped Notes option turned on in the menu.  That is a very useful feature of EOF.  If you find that you have this problem, the solution is easy - set your Grid Snap to 1/32, select all of the notes in the track (CTRL+A), and use the Note/Resnap command.  

Also, I confirmed that you cannot start a section in the middle of a sustained note, if there are no other tracks with a note on that beat.  This is not a problem if you have a note on another track on the same beat.  

One more thing - starting on beats other than 1 was not an problem for me.  I know that others have said to make sure and start a section on the first beat, but I have not found that to be an issue.

Thanks to all of you for your help in these forums - this is an amazing community.

• Like 2

the solution is easy - set your Grid Snap to 1/32, select all of the notes in the track (CTRL+A), and use the Note/Resnap command. 

One tiny thing:

This advice should be treated with care, because I had cases where I did the exact same thing and caused some notes to get out of sync.

Those notes where triplets in a very fast solo. In such cases you should set the Grid Snap to some even smaller custom value.

Indeed, "Highlight Non Grid Snapped Notes" should always be turned on :)

• Like 1

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

I realised after 100+ customs that gems could go "off snap" just by reloading a saved EoF project.  The maths involved in loading up a project is complex and creates rounding errors (using milliseconds to measure beats).  I'm not complaining I'm just pointing out that your gems can go very slightly off snap grid through no fault/action of your own.

To this end I always resnap all notes in all arrangements before I save.

Couple of things though

- Yes, if you have notes extremely close together (fast solo for example) it can snap them together, but you get a warning for this so you just have to spend a minute highlighting selections of gems throughout the arrangemet and snapping them, missing out the mad solo with the ultra close notes.

- Remember to resnap the tech notes too!  Tech notes are far more likely to want to snap together, because there may be 3 or 4 of them close together just for one complex bend on one gem, so be careful.  I always make sure all my tech notes are white/green again after a resnap.

Thanks for looking into it though, I think everyone has problems with secitons not being selectable.  A lot of my customs must have it and I haven't even noticed because I do not test every section of every song.

There are also issues with sections which make arrangements crash...  I think.  If you use global sections (i.e. the same secitons for all arrangements) then this can lead to, I believe, crashing arrangements when you have multiple sections at the start of the bass but the bass doesn't actually kick in until the chorus (for example).

Now I set global sections where I know there are gems in all arrangements (most of the song in most cases) then use local sections to fill in specific parts of individual arrangements.

I've never reported this cause I cba expermienting to prove my theory, so well done to you for taking the time to test this out :D

I will engage "Highlight non grid snapped notes" from now on, thanks guys :)

• Like 1

PC Plum,

Thanks for your insightful comments, and also for all of the CDLC work that you do.  It was my enjoyment of many of your songs which motivated me to jump into charting.  I actually did a search for all of your charted songs because I was so impressed with the quality, and I was shocked when I saw how many songs you charted!

Regarding your comment on global sections - I thought that I saw the same behavior as you described, so I specifically created arrangements exactly as you identified (e.g., bass track starting much later) to test that theory.  But, as long as all of the following conditions were met, I could not replicate the problem:

- All notes snapped in all tracks

- All global section start on a note which exists in at least 1 track (doesn't have to be all tracks).  

- Corollary to the point above - a section cannot start on a sustained note, if no other tracks have a note.  It is OK to start on a sustained note if at least one other track has a note at that point in time.

So, I don't think there is an issue regarding global sections, but I could very well be wrong since I couldn't test all of the different possibilities.

I realised after 100+ customs that gems could go "off snap" just by reloading a saved EoF project.  The maths involved in loading up a project is complex and creates rounding errors (using milliseconds to measure beats).  I'm not complaining I'm just pointing out that your gems can go very slightly off snap grid through no fault/action of your own.

Internally, EOF stores beats in double floating point timing (this is shown for the currently selected beat with the "fpos" value in the information panel) but it's possible that certain values can't be stored to project accurately depending on limitations of processor math. If you have a project that exhibits this in a significant way, let me know.

CORRECTION TO MY CONCLUSIONS ABOVE REGARDING MAKING RIFF REPEATER WORK PROPERLY:

After additional trials, I do NOT believe that the start of a section has to coincide with a note on any track.  This is great news, because many times it is difficult to do this at the start of a song.

I believe that the only criteria for the start of a section is that it cannot occur within a sustained note.  I have not been able to generate any RR problems as long as I stick to this rule.  Note that if your notes are not all snapped to the beat, you will likely have notes occurring a millisecond before a beat, which in some cases will mean that you will violate this sustained note rule and inadvertently have problems with RR .  

So, as long as you do not start a section within a sustained note, and snap all of your notes to the beat, you should be fine.