Solo acoustic Versions of Popular songs?

DevXen

Question

I was just curious if anyone wanted to start a kind of Charting Group. where we make Custom Acoustic versions of popular songs. that would be fun for people to learn to sing and play on their own.

I've been working on a pretty fun acoustic version of 'Watching over me' by iced earth. it has some great picking parts. I'm nearly finished working it out on the guitar. the next step would be to try to find a way to record the acoustic version. then tab it up. then learn how to make a CDLC out of it.

But that's my plan, So I was thinking it'd be fun to start a group of people doing the same thing, for everyone. that is if anyone is interested.

-Dev

9 answers to this question

• Administrator

I can always do the editing/mastering but i'm not that good of a player when it comes to acoustic. I know some people that might be able to help on the recording side though.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I was just thinking it'd be a fun project to do. and many people would enjoy it, and Even beginners could mostly use them to help them learn to play songs, and sing at the same time. as well as allow people to go play solo acoustic shows at their local bars/Coffee shops.

If I could find a way to record from RockSmith, Tesla - What You Give, has an amazing Acoustic Tone.

Then, I could pull the the drums out of the Guitar Tab File. (Or someone could tab new drums, Might be better) then I could use Addictive Drums in FL Studio, to give it 'studio drums' Then work on adding an acoustic bass, and the song would be recorded at pretty good quality.

at least that's my initial thoughts. as I don't think coming up with fun acoustic versions of songs, played over the original would work very well. haha.

I think this would be great, when I play in front of people it is mainly acoustic. would love to play some of the riffs and chords attached to a great song. it was a great feature of the original rocksmith that they dropped.

I never saw that in the original RockSmith, Though i have it on PS3. I only played it a few times. before i got tired of 'passing so many songs to move forward to new ones' and the horrible menu system.

My idea here, is to help people play songs by themselves, acoustically. so 1 guitar, and vocals. But also to not just play the studio versions of the songs, but rather to convert them to something that works really well with acoustic. to have a whole new version people could go out and play. Just need to find people who would like to help me with it.

I think this would be great, when I play in front of people it is mainly acoustic. would love to play some of the riffs and chords attached to a great song. it was a great feature of the original rocksmith that they dropped.

I never saw that in the original RockSmith, Though i have it on PS3. I only played it a few times. before i got tired of 'passing so many songs to move forward to new ones' and the horrible menu system.

My idea here, is to help people play songs by themselves, acoustically. so 1 guitar, and vocals. But also to not just play the studio versions of the songs, but rather to convert them to something that works really well with acoustic. to have a whole new version people could go out and play. Just need to find people who would like to help me with it.

not always but for alot of the songs, there was a lead, rhythm parts as well as "Combo" which was a combo of lead and rhythm which was playable on one guitar.

good luck with the project

This is a great idea!

I started with Rocksmith on my western acoustic guitar and was always looking for songs that worked well to play solo and sing along to.

The problem I see though, is the recording part. If it is not really really well done, it might become a pain to listen to them.

I'm nearly finished working it out on the guitar. the next step would be to try to find a way to record the acoustic version. then tab it up. then learn how to make a CDLC out of it.

My suggestion is for you to learn how to make a CDLC before doing the recording!

Because an intermediate step in your project could be to add the acoustic arrangement as a bonus arrangement to the regular CDLC (just like the combo arrangements on RS1).

This might not always work, e.g. if you are changing the structure of the song.

But I think in most cases it would be sufficient to play the acoustic version along to the studio recording. Once you are familiar with that, you can start lowering the background music and start playing / singing on your own.

Caution, advertisement:

You could also add a Metronome to the whole song to make it well playable (helping you to keep up the tempo) without any background music at all.

Check out this tutorial for more information on Metronome Bonus Arrangements.

Regards,

Azrael

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

This is a great idea!

I started with Rocksmith on my western acoustic guitar and was always looking for songs that worked well to play solo and sing along to.

The problem I see though, is the recording part. If it is not really really well done, it might become a pain to listen to them.

I'm nearly finished working it out on the guitar. the next step would be to try to find a way to record the acoustic version. then tab it up. then learn how to make a CDLC out of it.

My suggestion is for you to learn how to make a CDLC before doing the recording!

Because an intermediate step in your project could be to add the acoustic arrangement as a bonus arrangement to the regular CDLC (just like the combo arrangements on RS1).

This might not always work, e.g. if you are changing the structure of the song.

But I think in most cases it would be sufficient to play the acoustic version along to the studio recording. Once you are familiar with that, you can start lowering the background music and start playing / singing on your own.

Caution, advertisement:

You could also add a Metronome to the whole song to make it well playable (helping you to keep up the tempo) without any background music at all.

Check out this tutorial for more information on Metronome Bonus Arrangements.

Regards,

Azrael

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'd assume most songs the structure would change.. but then I was thinking, if I couldn't find a way to record it and have it sound decent, why not just export the guitar pro file of it to a .wav using the realistic sound engine, it'd be done well enough for people to listen to and learn from... that is. if it came to that.

• Administrator

I don't own an acoustic but if you have a tab already made for a test, i can try to see what can i do with what i have first. Also if nobody are willing to do the recording with a real acoustic i can, if my first try isn't convincing enough, borrow a real electro-acoustic guitar to do the recording.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity