Customs Push - Push notifications for new CDLC

BirthdaySpiders

Hello everyone, 

I'd like to announce a small project I created about a month ago. 

This project, named Customs Push, is a web app which allows you to be notified via the push service Pushbullet when a CDLC for an artist you are interested in has been released or updated on CustomsForge. 

To use the service, head on over to http://customspush.com and authenticate either using your Steam or Google account. Once you've logged in, you can add artists and select criteria such as platform or instruments in the Config -> Filter section. You'll then need to activate your Pushbullet account in the Config -> Pushbullet section.

The web app will check for new releases on CustomsForge every 30~60 minutes, sending notifications immediately after checking. 

For those who would rather have this type of service running on their local machine, please check out my desktop version here: https://github.com/JakeH/CustomsForgeNotifier This is not the same codebase as the web app and since the web app is my main priority, future functionality of the web app may not be duplicated into the desktop version.

Please let me know if you find any oddities or if you have any suggestions. 

Thanks,

Jake

• Like 4

Hi there,

this sounds very useful! I do hope (and have asked for) this feature to be directly integrated into Ignition, which would be much more comfortable than using a 3rd party tool.

Maybe you might want to team up with the Customsforge Devs instead of creating your own service. If you keep doing it on your own, all your work might become useless sooner or later, when the feature is "officialy" integrated.

I am hoping for a notification service that can tell you about artists, albums and new entries by specific charters.

Regards,

Azrael

• Like 2

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Hi there,

this sounds very useful! I do hope (and have asked for) this feature to be directly integrated into Ignition, which would be much more comfortable than using a 3rd party tool.

Maybe you might want to team up with the Customsforge Devs instead of creating your own service. If you keep doing it on your own, all your work might become useless sooner or later, when the feature is "officialy" integrated.

I am hoping for a notification service that can tell you about artists, albums and new entries by specific charters.

Regards,

Azrael

I certainly agree that this is a quite a useful tool/possible feature, and I'll probably sign up for that service very shortly.  I also agree that it would be much better integrated into Ignition as well.  Because some people refuse to learn how to properly spell/capitalize/punctuate, you often end up with multiple entries for the same artist.  For instance, I think there are 3 or 4 different artist entries for B.B. King.

Maybe you might want to team up with the Customsforge Devs instead of creating your own service. If you keep doing it on your own, all your work might become useless sooner or later, when the feature is "officialy" integrated.\

I agree that it would be nice to have this feature integrated into Ignition and would welcome it as I'm directly assuming the financial burden of running this service. It's something I created over a weekend to satisfy a personal need, so I don't mind the wasted effort as it has already "paid for itself." I've contacted Unleashed2k about this before I published it to the greater internet and he's among the service's users. 

• Like 2

I certainly agree that this is a quite a useful tool/possible feature, and I'll probably sign up for that service very shortly.  I also agree that it would be much better integrated into Ignition as well.  Because some people refuse to learn how to properly spell/capitalize/punctuate, you often end up with multiple entries for the same artist.  For instance, I think there are 3 or 4 different artist entries for B.B. King.

So far, the only fuzzy matching I have implemented is if an artist name starts with "The". For example, The Smashing Pumpkins and Smashing Pumpkins are the same thing. It'd be possible to make it even more fuzzy, but I'm just afraid of false matches. 

• Like 1

So far, the only fuzzy matching I have implemented is if an artist name starts with "The". For example, The Smashing Pumpkins and Smashing Pumpkins are the same thing. It'd be possible to make it even more fuzzy, but I'm just afraid of false matches. 

That is for sure the most common fuzzy match, and by itself will catch the majority of them.  The prospect of catching all fuzzy matches beyond that is far more daunting than anything I would even consider.  Having a button integrated into Ignition to activate the push for  individual artists would allow the end user to circumvent the problem by selecting any and all iterations desired.

Having a button integrated into Ignition to activate the push for  individual artists would allow the end user to circumvent the problem by selecting any and all iterations desired.

The problem with that approach is that the system wouldn't be very passive -- an artist will need to have a published CDLC package first. The way my service is, you just copy and paste a list of artists into the filter criteria, and if they appear for the first or fifteen time, you'll be notified. I've got a long list of artists for which I have no expectation of them appearing as CDLC, but if they do, I'll know (at least I hope so). 

In lieu of programmatic fuzzy matching, you could just enter in all expected iterations of misspellings into the filter criteria: 

BB King, B.B. King, BBKing, B.B.King. A rather awful workaround, but a workaround nonetheless.

Honestly, I think the best way would be to require every CDLC to be matched to a MusicBrainz track id, or at the very least, the artist id. Get rid of the dependencies on literal strings altogether.

• Like 1

Having a button integrated into Ignition to activate the push for  individual artists would allow the end user to circumvent the problem by selecting any and all iterations desired.

The problem with that approach is that the system wouldn't be very passive -- an artist will need to have a published CDLC package first. The way my service is, you just copy and paste a list of artists into the filter criteria, and if they appear for the first or fifteen time, you'll be notified. I've got a long list of artists for which I have no expectation of them appearing as CDLC, but if they do, I'll know (at least I hope so). 

In lieu of programmatic fuzzy matching, you could just enter in all expected iterations of misspellings into the filter criteria: 

BB King, B.B. King, BBKing, B.B.King. A rather awful workaround, but a workaround nonetheless.

Honestly, I think the best way would be to require every CDLC to be matched to a MusicBrainz track id, or at the very least, the artist id. Get rid of the dependencies on literal strings altogether.

Agreed, on all points (especially #3!).  I think I'm gonna go sign up now!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the notice. I've deployed a fix. Please let me know if this works for you now.

It worked for a while, but now I can't log in again.  I'm wondering if this happens when you update the app?

I haven't updated that app in a while, but I think my host is kinda bad. I just restarted the app, could you see if it is working for you now?

• Like 1

Thanks for the notice. I've deployed a fix. Please let me know if this works for you now.

It worked for a while, but now I can't log in again.  I'm wondering if this happens when you update the app?

I haven't updated that app in a while, but I think my host is kinda bad. I just restarted the app, could you see if it is working for you now?

The pushes have been working fine so it has been a bit since i needed to log on, as I haven't needed to update my list or check my history pretty much since the last time you fixed it for me.  Working fine  now!

Thanks Again!!!

• 7 months later...

Has CustomsPush been down lately?  I've been getting 'Internal Server Error' for the last couple of days.

Sorry. Host did some migration of services today. I didn't think to check on it until you mentioned it. I just restarted it and it seems to be up and running now. 

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.